The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Cae Mabon(Llanberis)
Lake View(Llanberis)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Tyn Rhos Country House(Llanddeiniolen)
View Hotel
Pen Y Gwryd Hotel(Nant Gwynant)
  • Pool
1,712 results
All reviewscoach housebar mealsall inclusive dealcoach partycontinental breakfastlarge hotelthird floorevening mealhotel is situatedmain buildingmountain railwayllanberis pathshort breakboth nightselectric mountainexcellent value for moneyfantastic location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Despite some of the negative comments in other reviews I went ahead and booked a one night stay at the Royal Victoria. I was not disappointed.
First impressions at reception were very good with a warm, friendly welcome from the staff.
My room was fabulous - a large room with huge windows, a flat screen TV and a large, comfy 4-poster bed! The only thing missing was my wife.
The bathroom was bright and spotlessly clean and there were good towels and toiletries.
I would be struggling to find anything negative to say about the place.
Breakfast was good with a cooked breakfast served promptly and items from a copious buffet.
Yes some of the public areas are looking a bit worn but the smiling staff make up for this.
I'm looking forward to my next visit soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Chrisdebee
Reviewed 10 June 2014

From the initial investigation via the web this hotel looked promising. Ideally positioned for access to the Snowdon Mountain Railway and the picture showing the front of the hotel being very impressive, we thought that everything would be ideal for a 2 night stay. Unfortunately it did not turn out that way. The hotel being old has not had it's interior updated. Our bedroom was very small and unbelievably bland,although to be fair our shower room had been renovated and was quite acceptable until unfortunately through no fault of the hotels a power cut changed everything and the shower room was a place to avoid. The staff were excellent throughout but the food seemed to lack much flavour and the breakfasts almost seemed best to be avoided. It is regrettable to record this visit in such a vein as the position and views are superb but something ought to be done to update the bedrooms and corridors to remove a feeling of despondency when one walks around the place.

Room Tip: Obtain the best room you can afford
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Firstly the good bits - location v close to Snowdon and the railway, nice garden and manager Clive was a decent guy trying his best.

The bar food we had was also very reasonable and tasty - credit where credit is due.

But sadly overall the hotel pretty poor.

1. The rooms were what you would expect from a dated Travel Lodge but at expensive prices. They were ok but not especially nice or clean.

2. The public rooms were all in desperate need of refurbishment.

3. The staff were generally poorly trained and whilst they were trying their best in most cases, they fell well short of the standard you would expect from a good hotel.

4. We had a meal included in our room price and our party of 9 sat down to eat what is probably the worst meal I have ever paid for in my life. The starters were out of the 1970's - the prawn cocktail was served in a cereal bowl, the pate came on its own - not sure if anyone has ever sat down with just a lump of pate?!? Things descended further with what can only be described as a school roast meal from 20 years ago. The veg were either uncooked, cremated or shrivelled. The meat was cheap and the stuffing artificial. Overall had we not spent the day climbing Snowdon we would have just got up and left. The only saving grace was the manager, Clive's approach which was reasonable, courteous and sensible. He cancelled the bill for all 9 meals which at £18 per person was substantial. He also gave us 4 bottles of wine and admitted that things were not acceptable. At the end of the day you cannot ask more than that, I fear Clive may be wasted on this hotel.

This hotel with its grand room, location, nice garden and general appeal could be a fantastic hotel.

Unfortunately at present it is a tired, poorly decorated hotel with substandard food and staff.

I find it very worrying that there are reviews saying this hotel is good. I can only assume that they are either very easily pleased or do not stay in many hotels. Stay there if you want the convenience of location, other than that I would stay well clear!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sniffingbern
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We are a party of 3 , my Dad who is 83 and my husband and I . We booked the Victoria for the second time with the intention of fulfilling a bucket list want of walking to the Snowdon Summit. This time we succeeded! It was not an easy walk and there were 3 parts that were extremely difficult but we all made it and were very pleased to accomplish it.
The hotel is wonderfully located near the Snowdon Railway and Llanberis Path the easiest of the 6 walks up the mountain. It is also only about 8 miles from Conwy and 15 miles from Caernarfon.
The hotel had small clean rooms, a very good breakfast and very good dinner service as well. We had 2 dinners in the dining room with stunning views of the mountain and the breakfast room was just as beautiful.. The price for the stay was very good with a full English breakfast available. My only negative on the hotel is there is no wifi in your room and everyone joins in the lobby to access there emails etc which is often very slow.
There are many nice B&B's in the area but I do not think you could beat the location or value of this hotel. I strongly recommend for all ages.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter, you will want to be outside to see the incredible views all around!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Alison A
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Just returned from 2 day stay. All of tbe staff are so friendly. The food was great, portion sizes - big, especially the pasta dishes. Rooms clean and more than adequate. Loved it, great location for climbing Snowden. Will stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2014