“Cwellyn Arms Campsite-A trip which far exceeded expectations!”
Review of Cwellyn Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhydd Ddu
Cwellyn Arms
“Cwellyn Arms Campsite-A trip which far exceeded expectations!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We went to stay at the Cwellyn Arms Campsite for 2 nights from the 19th and 20th July. First arrival was at 10am, perfect for us, as we were staying for 2 nights it meant we really got the full weekend. You have to check in through the pub about 5 minutes in the car passed the campsite, we didn't go any further than the bar area, but it seemed like a nice little pub and a friendly waitress offered our puppy a bowl of water which I really liked. It seemed fairly busy, but we were dealt with quickly after filling in a form and paying for the stay hey provided us with a receipt in a small plastic wallet to hook onto the tent as proof of payment- great idea!

The campsite is really something else. The pictures you take really don't do this place justice, it is just stunning. Panoramic views of just pure natural beauty. There is no set pitches which we really like and it meant we got the best pitch right in front of the lake.There is something for everyone-providing you are happy to make your own fun! We went because my partner was climbing Snowdon for charity, the location of this place is great for the Rangers Path. The campsite has some strict policies, first being no music. Not a problem for us, they allow guitars for round the campfire. Speaking of fires, your not allowed to build them. They do allow fires in there fire pits conveniently placed on sledges to enable you to move them round, they are free to use providing you buy there wood at £4.50 for a large bag and kindling (lasted us the night) or £10.00 is you take your own wood.

As well as the fire pits they have really made the effort to ensure every aspect has been covered. Really well made sturdy picnic benches have wheels on them which enables you to move them from pitch to pitch, there really is an abundance of these so don't worry on a busy weekend you will still get one!

Parking is not allowed on site, I can totally see why, as the grounds are lovely, and the owner has provided some brilliant trolleys to help you take your camping gear to your chosen pitch. Only downside to this, we had a blow up bed which needed a pump used from the cigarette lighter in my car, so we had to blow up the bed then compromise walking across a large field with a double air bed- I'm only 5ft, this wasn't easy!!

Fantastic facilities the ladies were lovely but my partner did say that the mens weren't fantastically clean. The washing up facilities are great, everything has been really well made, I loved the outside sinks for your washing up! One thing I would say, theres just 1 toilet block in the further field, a walk to the toilet can take about 10 minutes, understandably this would cost more money, but another toilet block in the second field would be fantastic.

I would throughly recommend this campsite to EVERYONE and we are already planning our next trip! One last thing, theres no phone reception- again fine for us, but don't be planning any business phone calls whilst away!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Francesca S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I loved this campsite, plus the pub and all the staff. The views were amazing and the toilet/shower block was kept immaculate. The wildlife viewing opportunities were great as well. The staff and pub landlord were really friendly - nothing was too much trouble - the chef even gave me a special meal, as I struggle with multiple food allergies and intolerances. My meal was really perfect - my partner ate 3 meals over our stay and said the same thing about each one, and as a hobby chef himself, he is really fussy! When we had enjoyed a few pints and I could not use the car to collect wood for the firepit due to my own poor planning, the landlord dropped off some bags of wood - delivered to our tent!! The firepits were brilliant, absolutely fab, as was the kiln dried wood. All those people on here taking about buying cheap stuff from petrol stations and cheating the landlord are forgetting one essential detail. Cheap wood from petrol stations is invariably kept in the rain, so unless you want to be contantly crying from smoke in your eyes as a result of using damp wood, the £4.50 he charges is actually very good value for money. The bus service was good too - hint - ask for a 'Sherpa' ticket, as it saves loads of money on multiple trips. The steam trains were also walking distance to the station. Another hint - as with ALL mountainous and watery areas, always make sure you bring masses of mosquito and midge repellent and wear it all the time - this will save you becoming an all you can eat buffet!! Avon SKin so soft works very well and can be purchased cheaply on EBay. In summary, we had a fantastic 10 days and will definitely use that campsite again. Apart from one night when some really selfish drunk yuppies on a 'staff bonding exercise' decided to be very loud, after the landlord had done his regular checks and fire safety walk-the sneaky so and sos- the campsite was very quiet and peaceful indeed. The rules about being quiet were very clear and rigorously enforced, but as with any campsite, if a certain morally destitute element decides to totally disrespect others as soon as the 11.00 check is over, there is actually very little any campsite owner can do about it, however, this has not put me off going again, as I had such a cracking time on all the other 9 days.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roz W
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My friend turned 30, so I thought a trip to Wales and to climb Snowdon would be a good idea, we all love the outdoors so I started my search for a place for 4 of us to stay. I looked through many hotels in the area, but I knew we needed to be near a good country pub, that sold real ales and that's where the Cwellyn arms stood out " 9 real ales and open 8 days a week" perfect. The accommodation was part of the pub and was an old converted barn only a 10 minute walk away. It was massive with a very impressive iglenook fire place and plenty of space. It was right on a lake and views were spectacular, as we were right at the base of Snowdon. The owners were fantastic as I had originally booked for 5 yet they still gave us the room at the reduced rate and as we were only a 4, they gave the us a great deal. They offered us free fire wood whenever we wanted it. We stayed for 2 nights, and the rooms were very clean and it had that country feel and was perfect for what we were there for. I would definitely go back and would definitely recommend to friends. We actually went 3 years ago and I promised the owners I would write a review. Great place, great setting, great service. Thank you, Ben Smith

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The campsite boasts good facilities, the shower block has been recently been refurbished and is kept clean and tidy. The site is well kept and the surrounding scenery superb, with the lake framed with mountains on either side. An ideal location to access the paths up the western slopes of Mt Snowdon and the eastern end of the Nantile Ridge. The pub is a short walk (10min) up the road, where they have a good selection of ales and a friendly welcome! I thoroughly enjoyed my recent visit (11th - 13th July 2014) and I am planning to return before the end of August. One thing to note, my mobile did not have any service at the campsite, so no calls or wi-fi; it was great to get away from it all!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This campsite never fails to score 100% every time we come here! Beautiful location, facilities and even when you think it might be full by the number of cars on the car park, there is more than enough room for everyone so no need to crush next to your neighbours.
Some of the most minute details have been considered by the owners to make this a great base either for one night or for families on a longer visit. Our grandson (aged 6) was enthralled by everything from the campfire, sleeping out for the first time, the alligators in the long grass (wooden carvings of course), he even caught a tiddler in his fishing net from the pier over the lake, and we hope that we have converted the family to the pleasures of camping. The owner keeps a friendly eye on everyone which is very reassuring and is an excellent host up at the village pub as well. This was the first time we had visited in the high summer and forgot to bring the right repellant for the midges - we soon got some! It's a pity we couldn't be a bit closer as we would use it more often. However, I am sure we will be back before the end of the year!

Room Tip: Bring equipment (tent as well as clothing) for all weathers as you can experience several seasons in...