“Beautiful place to camp.”
Review of Cwellyn Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhydd Ddu
Cwellyn Arms
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Amazing views, when we stayed it was fully booked but not cramped. toilets and showers clean.
Was a little confusing that the pub wasn't near the campsite but we figured it out after walking into the house next-door thinking it was the pub!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My girlfriend and I have just returned home from a three night stay. The campsite setting is stunning, and the brand new shower/toilet facilities are perfect following a wet Snowdon adventure!

Our only reservation, being a young couple, is that given the campsite's location, you are limited to the Cwellyn Arms for food/drinks (unless one of you drives). We did eat at the Cwellyn Arms on the Saturday, and the food was delicious, however, it isn't cheap, and as a result not really a good place to visit repeatedly.

Our final night we drove a few miles into Beddgellert for food, and then returned to the campsite with a few bottles of wine. You can purchase fire wood from the Cwellyn Arms for a small cost, and there are ample fire pits available.

In hindsight, we would probably stay closer to Beddgelert in future, purely because it offers a wider choice of places to eat/drink, but that is our personal preference.

All in all, this is a great campsite, and perfectly located for a trek up Snowdon. I recommend walking up the Rhd-Ddu path and back down the Snowdon Ranger, both paths are within a mile of the campsite.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have just returned from our 3 night stay at the campsite, and cannot rate it highly enough.
The washing facilities are superb - showers always hot, and plenty of room to get changed confortably. Yes, you have to pay for electric but £1 got my mid length thick hair looking fairly respectable so nothing to complain about there as far as I am concerned.
I have to say the loos though were not as clean as I would like, but that is solely down to individuals who seem to forget they are not at a hotel for the weekend.... Perhaps some politely worded notices to remind 'ladies' to wipe their skid marks would be handy ;)
The site is very well maintained, with boardwalks and trolleys to help get set up easily.
The location is absolutely fantastic, with the lake at the end making for an amazing view.
We found the owner to be really friendly, helpful and approachable.
Unlike others I hadn't realised the pub was a mile up the road.... No real issue, except I was a bit worried about walking back in the dark - pack your hi vis gear and you will have no worries. We ate at the pub two nights, and found the meals to be excellent both times.
It was very busy on the Saturday - make sure you book - but even with our dogs, we were seated well out of the way, and had lovely evenings.
I must give credit to all the staff at the pub - they were all very hospitable and made us feel very welcome.
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2014

As many of the other reviews have said, the accommodation and campsite are in a lovely setting, waking up and looking out over the lake and mountains is superb - BUT...
My family and I were camping and the forecast was for rain and windy conditions, so when I booked in at the pub, I asked if there were any sheltered locations to pitch as I didn't want my tent to get wrecked. The woman that was serving me would not engage in any conversation about the site or such like until my card payment had processed for the remaining nights (I had payed for the first night over the phone). The card machine failed twice due to poor connection, so I offered to go and pitch up and come back later when they had sorted it, (by this point I had just driven 6 hours solid, the weather was getting worse and I needed to get the tent up so my 2 bored children could get out of the car an in somewhere dry) - She refused and proceeded to try the card a further 3 times, in all taking over 45 minuets, before admitting defeat... What got me, was that I had already paid for the night ahead!
When I arrived at the site, it was obvious why they were so keen to process the payment! The site was very busy and the only pitches left were in the middle of the field next to the lake, where the wind would be blowing hard or right next to the toilets. We eventually settled for a spot which was semi sheltered but was unfortunately very close to the toilet block.

Next comes pitching your tent. You cannot park next to your tent, which is fine, and the trolleys provided are a great idea, BUT, as the site was so busy, people were parking anywhere they could which meant all of the access onto the field was blocked by cars, rendering the trolley useless, meaning i had to carry every single piece of equipment across the campsite, this isn't a huge issue but it would be so simple to resolve and make life so much easier!

The toilet blocks were very clean and tidy as were the washing up stations, however, in the toilet blocks there is no soap to was your hands, so if you are just going in there to the toilet, you have to take your wash bag with you, and a towel as there are no hand driers either... this seemed a little strange until you see the hairdryers, 50p a go for about 30 seconds of air. Obviously hand driers would potentially reduce the income from the hair driers! Again, not a huge issue, but simple things that you get in a free public toilet were not provided in a premises you are paying for - and it isn't cheap as campsites go!
Again, the showers were clean and in good order, however, the push button tap on them gives literally 15-20 seconds of water, not enough to get wet, let alone get washed! A simple thing, but highly irritating!

All of the above points could be easily remedied, and i think if the owners were to use the services and facilities they provide they would have a much better appreciation for what lets the site down.

At the Cwellyn Arms 'We feel that a campsite is not a real campsite without a camp fire' - As long as you buy our extortionately priced wood! As regular campers, we have a fold up fire pit which doubles as a barbecue, so I also took a couple of bags of coal. On one of the numerous checks from the owners, he actually asked what I was burning on the barbecue as my ticket didn't say I'd bought his wood! - Fair enough if I was using one of their fire pits as the rationale for their extortionately priced wood is to help towards the maintenance of the pits, but I was using mine! - no maintenance required by them! - I appreciate that the season is short and they need to make their money whilst they can, but there are ways and means of doing so with a slightly more understanding, accommodating and personable approach.

The constant checking of your ticket affixed to your tent was so frequent, 2 or 3 times a day on a couple of occasions, it became so invasive that it really detracted from the stay. It felt like it was used as an excuse to check up on you. On one of the occasions, I was accosted over the noise coming from my tent... it was my wife using a 12v pump to re-inflate an airbed for Christ sake!

The morning after the worst weather, there were multiple people walking back across the site, very early with armfuls of soaking wet tent which had been trashed by the wind. The lack of shelter on this site makes pitching very restrictive if the forecast isn't great!

All in all, the experience was very average at best. The views are stunning and the location is convenient for the Ranger or Rhyd Ddu paths up the mountain, but that did not make up for the un-trusting, money hungry attitude from the staff and owners coupled with top prices for average facilities. There are some other very nice looking sites very close to this, so next time we will be staying there!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ian W
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here just one night with a group of friends, we had the loft room which I wouldn't say was great and beds on the floor was abit bizarre but suited for one night
Location is beautiful although camp site could be better sign posted as drove past a few times before finding
Pub is within walking distance, meals weren't anything to shout about and too over priced
Overall though a great base for walking snowdon and very good value for stay

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2014

breathtaking views. stunning.
I see people on here have complained about the midgies. Man up, haters! We chose to camp on the shore of the lake (just to the right of the little jetty pictured above) so got more than our share of human-hungry insects but take sensible precautions and raid the pharmacy shelves and you'll survive!
did we mention the views???
the lake is warm enough to swim in by teatime without a wetsuit if there's been a few hours of sunshine - our kids (10 and 4) and our dogs couldn't get enough of it.
excellent paths in all directions - treks and hikes for people of all abilities. Fascinating collection of frogs and toads popping up at night, especially in the rain. Owner makes daily rounds and is very knowledgeable about wildlife - he was telling us about his yearly mission to collect frog and toadspawn from nearby lakes and ponds to increase the population at the site to help with midgies.
the sled-mounted, portable firepits are genius - owner designed them himself and got local blacksmith to make them after his previous, copper ones, all got nicked - they have sliding bars on the top to fit a grill or bbq. We'd recommend taking some kind of grill with you. or else you can salvage one left behind by someone else - very handy.
CHECK your tent before you go - is it up to the task? this place does not muck about with rain. a summer weekend/festival tent will not cut it. the laundry room was regularly full of mattresses and sleeping bags and the giant wheelie bin is a pop-up tent graveyard.
Husband very happy with choice of beers on tap. pub staff mostly very helpful and pleasant - only one huffy, humourless one in the whole 8 days of our stay. food good.
DOGS were exceptionally happy to be welcomed into the pub to dry off after giant walk and allowed to collapse on carpet AND barstaff were quick to refill their water dish. If you have four legs you couldn't ask for more.
As we chose to camp at the very far end of the site, it was a bit of a trek to the loo, but the views are so awesome we hardly noticed. and the bottoms of your pyjamas dont' get soaked in wet grass thanks to the lovely wooden boardwalk that meanders through the site. Copius free hot water in the showers, the loo roll never ran out.
Been home 24 hours and still scratching bites but would definitely go back!

Room Tip: explore whole site before choosing pitch