“Very impressed !”

Ranked #16 of 248 Restaurants in Wrexham
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: The Chinese Buffet is a dynamic and exciting, modern Chinese restaurant. Launched initially as a single restaurant in Bolton the concept has grown in size and stature into an emerging brand with nationwide aspirations. Peter Wu, Paolo Hu and David Hu created The Chinese Buffet with the clear aim of providing a new style of buffet restaurant, high quality food at low cost to customers. They created an eclectic blend of Chinese food using only the finest and freshest ingredients, prepared and presented to the highest of standards. THE Chinese Buffet believes all their customers should receive the care, attention and quality they would expect from the finest of a la carte restaurant.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Very impressed !”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

When someone told me the basement of Woolworths was now a Chinese I found it hard to imagine. They said it was really good, I checked TA and saw the majority of reviews were very good so decided to give it a try. We went for lunch today, Saturday and as I walked down the steps (there is a lift) realised there had been quite a transformation. It was a truly Chinese restaurant ambiance, really nicely furnished with comfy dining chairs and a variety of seating arrangements from a table for two to an area for larger parties. We were approached as soon as we entered by a member of staff who took us immediately to a table and explained how to use the buffet. Quite simply you can visit as many times as you want and help yourself to as many dishes as you like.
The variety is excellent. Plates are piping hot and there's a wide range of starters, chicken and sweetcorn soup, prawn crackers, crispy chicken or crispy veg with pancakes and much more.
The mains included a variety of chicken dishes, beef, duck, vegetable and plenty of choices of rice as well as chips. I'd be shocked if you don't find food you enjoy here. It's all fresh and constantly replenished.
The dessert choices are similarly varied with lovely little fruit tartlets with cream, petite profiteroles, fresh fruit, hot sponge puddings with custard and a soft ice cream machine 'Mr Whippy' type to fill a cornet or put onto your dessert of choice.
As it was Saturday lunchtime in the school holidays there were quite a few families with children of all ages enjoying the buffet experience, learning about how to make choices and the staff were very good with them all.
I can really recommend the restaurant and the food and will certainly be visiting again.
Before leaving I visited the ' ladies' and whilst really well appointed with beautiful tiling and waterfall taps, the toilet paper had not been replenished and one toilet was completely blocked. Looking at the schedule on the wall where checks were recorded, it was obvious no-one had done a check all day. This may have been a one off........?
Overall the visit was really good, food fab, ambiance great, lovely serving staff and excellent value for money.

1 Thank whatahol
Gaynor R, Guest Relations Manager at The Chinese Buffet, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hi there thanks for your lovely review. i will pass back your constructive comments regarding the toilet facilities. Thanks again and hope to see you back again soon.

Nth Wales
“The very good is happily the food.”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Spent lunch here today with a friend in the old downstairs back entrance which used to be Woolworths . The choice of food for an amazing £7:50 was great and advise people to eat little and often as you can eat as much as you want and stacking up first time means you miss out on too many dishes as you are too full too soon as I saw around me !

Children are very welcome and lots today which was nice . The toilets, however, although looking smart and new, had not been cleaned today as the rota notice confirmed . The lighting too could be brighter and as the Chinese Buffet is a chain I hope both concerns will be looked at by management as some other TA reviewers have said the same.

1 Thank NthWalesFoodiefan
Hi there, thanks so much for your review and comments. I am glad you enjoyed dining and I most certainly will take back your comments about the toilets and you can rest assured that the local managers do read all comments and take action where appropriate.
North Wales
“Well worth a visit...”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Great value for money and good choice of food. We went just after 16.30 so missed out on the bargain cheap deal but still we enjoyed the food and the cakes are to die for.
A little disappointed with the price of the drinks though, I felt like I couldn't order any more Cokes as they were too dear and pushed the price up.
Although I didn't ask for a jug of water I think that they should be made available if asked for and possibly out on display.
Staff were very friendly even though at first I thought they were being rude texting on their phone while taking our order until I cottoned on to the fact that they were taking our order on a phone. A little strange and a simple explanation what they were doing would have helped.
I could have stayed all day if my belly would let me.
I did ask about the issue with the drinks and was told that its just the way the company do it. I think a free top up service would be great even if I had to pay more to upgrade to a free top up. Please consider this Mr Manager......
Some of the food was a little on the cold side and I didn't see anyone checking the temperature which I think could do with being improved on.
On the whole though a great place, great food.
Cant wait to go again

You need to update your web site too as Wrexham isn't on it ....

• Visited August 2014
Hi there, thanks for your very constructive feedback. Overall I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us. As far as drinks, we feel we are prices very similar to other restaurants and I will pass back your comments on free refills and water jugs :-). I can assure you the food temperature is well within the guidelines set by the FSA although we do know that sometimes our customers would prefer this to be a little hotter.
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“never had a buffet like it!!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

we visited on a busy night.
very helpful staff showed us to a nice clean table, ordered drinks which arrived quickly.
the buffet itself had a great selection of various courses, all of which were very tasty and fresh.
it is unusual around here to find a buffet which will put so much effort into variety and quality.
we will be back very soon

• Visited May 2014
Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Its great to hear that you loved us compared to other buffet style restaurants. We really pride ourselves in great food and great service and I am so pleased you felt you had both during your visit to us.
“Finally, a good All you can eat in Wrexham”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Ate here when visiting family in the area. Very nice food, clean and the staff are friendly and efficient. I LOVED the low lighting at night so people couldn't see me scoffing all the food! Very nice indeed.

• Visited April 2014
Hi there, thanks for a great review, your comments on the low lighting made me smile. I know exactly what you mean especially when you have been up for your 4th plate. I am so pleased you enjoyed your meal with us!