The Wellington Hotel
US$85
Llangoed Hall(Llyswen)
The Manor Hotel(Crickhowell)
  • Pool
All reviewsfish and chipspub foodcentre of townfunction roomstayed here for one nightwarm welcomecharactervenueensuite
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Popped in for for a lunch time meal . The decor was quite relaxing . The menu was good . The staff were very good , welcoming and pleasant . The food arrived hot and was tasty . I was a little disappointed that my mashed potato was not real mash . Reasonable meal at a reasonable price .

Stayed: July 2014
Wellington B, Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2014

thank you for your comment.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Wellington was our first restaurant we tried when moving to Wales some years ago. We always enjoyed the restaurant due to its rustic style and down to earth food. Staff were always friendly and attentive. Hotel not used so can only revue the restaurant which is open to all non residential which is useful. So if a basic well priced down to earth food required, this is it. Not let me down over the years and remember, its not silver service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

thank you for your comment, we are due to have a new menu in November if you are in the area and wish to visit us again

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This Wellington hotel used to be our pit stop going from Ireland to Germany.Wifi used to be much better.The hotel used to be much cleaner.Breakfast used to be better -do you see a pattern here?Rooms and decor are actually fine, ours was clean and at STG 75 for a triple, good value.Breakfast was, I am sorry to say, pitiful.Mushrooms were reheated and were black-grey bits of rubber:-( The hotel is now run by the Brains brewery but they run a good ship in Bala so why such a let down here is a mystery. We wanted to eat in nearby Robertos so we didn't try any evening meal here.Robertos is an Italian and is as good as ever. the next door Conservative Club is a nice place for an after dinner drink.Lovely host Val and her husband told us to go to the Royal Welsh Regimental Museum in the town the next morning, whcih we duly did and got to see the collection of Victoria Crosses.STG5 entrance was a bit steep however.

Room Tip: Any room seems ok
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I hadn’t read the previous reviews before my wife and I visited the Wellington. Bad Mistake.

You will note that I very rarely rate a place “poor”. In fact this experience reminded me directly of my last “poor” rating two and a half years ago in a similar pub (in New Zealand).

A quiet evening in Brecon seemed to mean there was no need to have staff around. When one was finally tracjked down we asked what one of the specials of the day was. After being told that she would go and find out, we never saw her again. We should have taken that as a cue to leave.

Foolishly we then ordered food from the regular menu. Thirty minutes later two wrong meals were served. The combination of events left us astounded - It was bad enough to have had to wander the nooks and crannies to find a member of staff and then downright rude not to respond to our enquiry. It was even more frustrating that, best part of an hour after we’d walked in to the place we are both served wrong meals.

Fortunately we’d opened a tab so, having once again hunted down a member of staff, we recovered my credit card and left without lifting a knife and fork.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KeithW725
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Right in the centre of the town, so great for shopping. Limited parking right outside, but a reduced fee is available at a car park not too far away. The hotel is a busy, popular place to eat and drink and the menu and food looked good. We were staying for a wedding at a location nearby, so we didn't get a chance to dine at the hotel other than for breakfast - which was very tasty. Our room was a refurbished one overlooking the front of the hotel, it was very spacious, comfortable and had a lovely bathroom. Staff were helpful and friendly. At £95 for B&B I did think this was a bit pricey for the overall standard. Nevertheless, if I wanted to stay in central Brecon again, I would stay at the Wellington.

Room Tip: The stairs to the second floor are quite steep for those with difficulties.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple