“Functional and cosy, good food”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #14 of 73 Restaurants in Brecon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Canal side pub located in Pencelli village, located in the heart of the Brecon Beacons, approximately 2 miles from Brecon town. Serving traditional home cooked food, with the option of Roast Dinner on Sundays. Family and dog friendly!!
Reviewed 3 June 2014

After staying on the Pencelli Castle campsite, we went here for a bite to eat on our first night.

Menu is quite small - they had sold out of a few items but this'd only be a problem if you're a very fussy eater.

Lasagne, chicken and chips were all pretty good - crispy and hot chips and good service. Pub itself is low ceilinged and spread out over different sections, very quaint.

All in all, good food, good beer, so would happily visit again. Closed on Wednesdays and I believe they stop serving at 20.00ish

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had the misfortune to end up here around midday and had a disappointing lunch.

The lunch menu was very simple, mainly cold food like sandwiches, which on an unusually cold day was not very appealing. I ordered the pate on toast, they didn't even bother to butter the toast and it was very simplistic. The bread seemed to be economy supermarket own-brand brown bread, I would have liked some proper fresh bread at least. The salad was tired and had no dressing. My beer had an eggy smell to it.

The interior is very spartan with all hard surfaces: hard floors and tables and chairs. There was a fire but it was not on, so it was freezing inside and everyone was in their wet jackets.

Hopefully this paints a picture of a grim experience.

You would be well advised to walk on another hour either way to find an alternative place to eat.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

It's a lovely little pub in a great location but, the beer and soft drinks are very expensive, the same combination cost £3 less at the next pub down the road.

We did have supper here one evening which was pretty good apart from the veg which where straight out of the freezer and heated through. Given the prices which are on the high side I'd have expected much better. Also bar was cold and no attempt made to heat it while we where there, but with only 2 tables occupied I guess it didn't make sense.

1  Thank Nick B
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Friendly family oriented pub (lots of families with children dining when we were there, so the decibel level a bit much). Service was very good, but food was pretty average - my chicken was bland and dry, and the accompanying vegetables overcooked. I'd probably go back on a sunny day to sit outside with a beer, but not so sure I'd have dinner there again.

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Although the atmosphere is great and it's a busy local pub with very friendly service, it was a very long wait for our food and the meals were disappointing. I had a 'homemade' chicken curry that tasted more like a curry from a jar, though my partner's lasagne was perhaps more satisfying. Our bottle of wine was not enjoyable. To top off the average experience, the prices did not warrant the quality of the fare.

1  Thank Kate K