“A lovely oasis on Wye Valley Walk - and what service!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brecon
Upper Middle Road Farm
Ranked #32 of 43 Brecon B&B and Inns
london
“A lovely oasis on Wye Valley Walk - and what service!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a farmhouse where you walk into the kitchen and feel at home. I only stayed one night but I'll remember this place for a long, long time. I arrived wet and muddy and was greeted with tea and Karen's home-made welsh cakes... the best recovery-food in the world! Room was clean and peaceful with en-suite, and the wonderful garden is free for guests to enjoy... I ended up slobbing out in the sunshine in their little summer house, reading a book. You can walk across a field and then down into Boughrood village for your pub dinner.

In the morning more spectacular food - I tried lava bread for the first time and was smitten! Also with my big breakfast had the most delicious stewed tomato I have ever tasted - I still can't believe how good it was. SO sweet. Homegrown and home-made as well. On top of that, Danny took pity on my boots, which had lost their water-proofing, and waterproofed them for me after breakfast! Unbelievable! Such a lovely couple - they came to Wales decades ago to live the Good Life and now they share it - with great effect. Thank you! Apologies for late review - wasn't on tripadvisor when I actually stayed there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rscfan

Couples
Business
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We were coming down from Yorkshire for my aunts 75th party. We were last minute as wasn't sure we would make it. All village located b and bs were full with all family and friends already. I rang around a few and upper middle road was recommended by another fully booked b and b.
It is up in the hills out of the village but took around 10mins if that to drive back down.
DO NOT follow satnav up the lane. Once you get to the bottom of the lane you will turn right not left or straight on as they tell you.
The b and b is a family home/farm and was lovely, such a gorgeous setting. Me been me didn't think to ask about animals, been allergic it should be first thing I ask, and been a family home they had a dog and a cat. My fault but wasn't a problem. Rhys, the dog, is very pleasant and likes to play but never barked or made a fuss and was not ever upstairs near bedrooms.
Our bathroom was downstairs and the towels were not a great size but after we found guest robes in the wardrobe.
We have a toilet and sink in the room too.
We had tea and coffee tray and a gorgeous view.
Lovely big room, my fella been 6ft4 it is needed!
WIFI password and all you need leaflets etc all in room too.
The bed, and pillows, was really warm and cosy and so comfortable we slept really well.
Breakfast was fantastic. Fruit and yoghurt from the garden, home grown apples made into juice, coffee or tea, bread from the local bakery looked so nice we couldn't bring ourselves to cut it for two, all home made jam from home grown fruit and the full breakfast was mushrooms and toms, again home grown I think, bacon and sausage, from local pigs and a local butcher. Really delicious and we'll presented. Loads of things for sale like jam and bags of fruit from the gardens too. Nice not to let it go to waste.
Our hosts were fab. Couldn't have asked for better. On arrival we got showed to the room then asked if we would like a hot drink and when we went down we had home made Wales cakes too. Lovely couple to chat too and very helpful.
We even got a lift into the village for the party to save us ringing a taxi, which was a really nice thing to do.
All in all excellent. If you love walking and want some where quite in the middle of nowhere to explore it's perfect. If you want one night of excellent sleep and service it's perfect. If you want village centre and near things it's not for you.
Thanks
Debs and Darren
Yorkshire

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Ever the advocate of finding the top rated accommodation on tripadvisor and swooping in, this was a risk for me. I had no choice as it was bank holiday weekend and everywhere from spots 1-90 on tripadvisor’s recommended list in the Brecon Beacon National Park was booked up and I was in Brecon town centre with all my bags, but without a place to stay for the night... Upper middle road is unrated at the time of writing, and right down the bottom of the ranks I just had to give this place a leg up, as it deserves it...

The b&b is located on a rural farm in an idyllic setting about 18 minutes drive north of Brecon town just outside a village called Boughrood. At first I thought it was too far away but actually it’s quick to drive and the setting more than makes up for it, total peace.

Danny and Karen were incredibly welcoming and helpful as I was in a fluster worried I would be sleeping in my car for the night. It was EXACTLY what I was after in terms of location, pretty hard to find, incredibly quiet except for the bird and trees rustling yet easy to drive into town for amenities and exploring the Brecon National Park.

The rooms were clean (this really is a must for me), I had a nice ensuite to myself, little extras like shower gel, hand wash, tea in the bedrooms. Karen and Danny are great hosts, very helpful showing me all kinds of leaflets for walks and mountain biking in the area. I went for some walks locally and there are some fabulous views of the black mountains. I would also recommend for eating the Radnor Arms (amazing food! And also recommended by Karen and Danny), the Griffin Inn on the way to bnb is also very good. Full fry up applies in the morning and is delicious.

The only slight down side I would say to this place is that it’s a bit like staying at your aunt’s or gran's place. You are living around the hosts so the small talk and niceties apply. If you are looking for a total getaway of silence and not having to chat to anyone then you might want somewhere less homely. I might point out, it's not luxury, it's just very very comfortable, very nice and all the basic needs and well taken care of.

I would definitely recommend this place to a friend, and if I head back to the Brecons, I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo