“What a Find!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Georgian Garden
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Seating
Description: Fresh Italian Coffee, Speciality Teas, Hot Food, Snacks, Salads & Cold Drinks in Fabulous Surroundings. Vegetarians and Vegans catered for. In the heart of Brecon; entrance in the little car park on Market Street, near the rear of the Cotswold Outdoor shop and the RAFA Club. Look for the Ferarri’s Coffee sign!
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a Find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stumbled upon this little gem after reading in a guide that they offered a few vegan options. On arrival, we were pleasantly surprised by the set-up: an enclosed garden with tasteful furniture and other little quirks, such as blankets on hand for customers if the weather is cold. We were made to feel very welcome as soon as we arrived, and I was pleased to see that the vegan options were clearly marked on the menu. The tea is served in special pots that prevent it from stewing, so that was another stand-out experience, and the food was delicious. The service wasn't amazingly fast but this wasn't a problem - the atmosphere is very relaxed and it was merely an excuse to spend more time there! I would definitely recommend giving this place a visit if you're in the area, vegans and non-vegans alike!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank kokairu

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Very different.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Judging from two of the reviews here, we have been to a different place than what they describe. Regarding breakfasts finishing at twelve, we've eaten here fairly often and they did turn the breakfast grills off at twelve and they use separate cookers for the vegetarian food (we are veggie). To complain about problems after they turned everything back on and changed the menu for you is a bit nasty.

We've got to know them here and really enjoy it. It's a fun place.

As for the comments about the garden and 'tat, I think you should keep this in context. The local area is home to several vintage shops, and that's what they sell. If you don't get what it is I think you should just not write such nasty comments. I can't believe you have run down every aspect of the place in such detail, I do find that very very suspicious. People around us always seem happy to be here, kids run about the place playing, we've met people from several other countries, it's never been anything like what I read in the other review.

The comments about the owner being bad with people is surprising, especially the bit regarding a disabled child - the owners have a severely disabled child themselves. The garden is a big Georgian walled garden, if you think anyone else actually cares about the plants being genuine Georgian then you must be on a different planet. There are big pictures of the garden and the colourful furniture on their posters before you get in the place, I think you could have maybe spotted the style of the place from those? Perhaps you should have gone to the museum? It's just a lovely garden that's a good place to spend some time. I am going to post on their Facebook page about these comments as I'm sure others will be interested.

We didn't know this place existed until recently, it is a tranquil spot and they treat us well and the food is simple and very nice with great coffee. If you want a regular indoor cafe or more standard surroundings then this maybe isn't for you. Don't run the place down because you don't understand it though (or for any other motives), just leave it for those of us who do. :-)

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bristol
“Very poor service and food and not at all Georgian”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

Could not agree more with previous reviewer. Poor and very slow service aggravated by really arrogant and ignorant person who may or may not be the owner - guy with the ponytail - rude and flippant. No people skills or manners in particular when faced with customers including a child with disability. Really did not make us feel welcome at all.
Food was poor quality, cold and late in arrival - no apologies given,
The garden could be a nice enough atmosphere BUT... we specifically came because it is called the Georgian garden. We thought that this would mean that there was some serious research done into the types of plants that would have been present in this garden during that period. But wrong again. Most planting was simply what anyone could find at B&Q or a less than average garden centre. Furnishings are pretty but again completely un-Georgian. The emphsis is clearly not on the garden or even the cafe filling it. What might be a pleasant view of the river by the entrance is almost completely obscured by a large tent with second hand, badly painted tat for sale at rediculous prices.
This place needs to decide what its business is,
If it is a cafe - be nice to people (including those with children) and serve what you say you can in a reasonable time and at the optimum temperature. If that is just a basic pot of tea and some cake at least you will not have raised expectations un-necessarily.
If it is a garden of historic sinificance - for goodness sake do some serious homework and research your plants and garden design (including furniture). There are qualified specialists in historical horticulture who would help you I'm sure.
If it is a second hand shop or even an antique shop - all the fancy signage and language in the world will not be able to disguise the sale of jumble sale tat with a coat of paint. This is also hardly the thing that would have adorned a prominent Georgian garden in a town of this size!
Be serious about what you do, and do it with caring and honesty. It will get you better reviews.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Annabella H B
Wales
“Still waiting........”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

Went here for what we intended to be a quick stop off half way through a long journey home. Chose this place as they advertised that they could cater for vegans (which I am), most places don't even know what a vegan is, so to find one that actually caters for them is pretty rare. I chose the vegan breakfast, while it said on the menu that they stopped it at 12, the (very friendly and helpful) waitress told us that they were doing it all day today, but did advise that we'd have to wait little longer for it, which I was fine with because they had both vegan sausages and bacon again which is very rare. My wife ordered a normal breakfast and my son ordered a ham and cheese toastie. Our drinks arrived within 10 minutes, and my wife was pleased to find that her pot of tea for 1 was big enough for 4 cups, what she didn't realise was how long she'd have to make the tea last before our food turned up. After about 30 minutes the waitress came back to us to ask whether we wanted beans or tomatoes with our breakfasts, my thoughts were that they must be just about to dish up. About 10 minutes later a guy who I think was he owner came out and said that as we were having the breakfasts and they usually finished serving these at 12, they were having to put the grills on again (do you use special kitchen equipment that is only used for making a cooked breakfast?). So now around 40 minutes had passed since we had placed our orders, my coffee was long gone, and the wife's big pot of tea was now stone cold (I forgot to mention that as the name suggests, this cafe is a garden, there is no indoor seating area). It would have been a nice touch if we had been offered top ups in our drinks as we'd been waiting so long, but we weren't. A full hour and a half after we placed our orders, and literally as we were about to walk out, our food arrived, well I say our food, what I mean is my meal and part of my wife's meal arrived, her toast was missing, and my sons toastie didn't come. We told the guy that we were missing the toast and my boys food, he went away and came back some 7 or 8 minutes later with the toast, I asked again for my boys food, he mumbled something then went away again. After both myself and my wife had finished our food and after almost 2 hours had passed, my patience finally gave way, my sons food still hadn't turned up, so I told the very apologetic waitress not to bother bringing it as we'd waited long enough. The guy came to our table and gave us a half hearted apology and said that my sons toastie had been made, but they didn't know where it had gone! For our patience and by way of apology they didn't charge us for the toastie that never turned up (gee thanks!), and he knocked £2.50 off our bill. I'm actually really dissapointed to have to leave a poor review for this place, as I mentioned earlier it's rare to find somewhere that caters for vegans so I really wanted to like it, but I probablly wouldn't go back even if it was free. It would have been if the food had been somewhere worth the wait, but it wasn't. Our breakfasts were supposed to come with mushrooms (plural), believe it or not but neither my wife or I had 1 full mushroom each, I quite literally had 3 slices of mushroom which probablly made up 2 thirds of 1 mushroom. I asked for fried bread instead of toast with my breakfast, but was given dry toast, also parts of the food was cold, so overall pretty poor. To be honest I should have complained, but after waiting so long, I just wanted to get out of there.

8 Thank gdidy
Bristol
“A fantastic find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

I Am so glad I spotted the flyer for the georgian garden in the breacon car park, we've just popped in for a spot of lunch & it was fantastic, so pretty, simple & chilled. It's the kind of place u imagine, quaint surroundings & a good small selection on the menu catering for most diets including vegans.
We had delicious toasties & a pot of tea, I would thoroughly recommend a visit

3 Thank Emma C