“Extremely well organised and wellcoming”

Black Mountain Activities
Ranked #3 of 6 Tours in Brecon
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I had booked two different activities as a suprise birthday present for my husband - cayaking and mountain biking. We stayed at the associated Black Mountain Lodge, and had a great time. The cayaking was a one-way river trip (after some lesons) and was fantastic, and we were talked through possible routes for the biking and could choose for ourselves where / how far to go. Overall the place was very well run, very efficient, and really friendly - I would highly recommend the activity centre, and staying at the lodge made things easy because even on arriving at 10pm, they could arrange a packed lunch for the next day and delivered it to the activity centre for us. Fab.

All reviews
"stag do"
in 3 reviews
"comfort zones"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
"high ropes course"
"packed lunch"
"brecon canal"
"car park"

Reviewed 3 October 2008

It was a suprise day out for my birthday, all i was told by my friends was to wear something i didn;t mind getting dirty, trainers and no jeans. I'm not usually a big fan of the great outdoors so i had no idea i would be crawling through caves that day. From arrival at the Black Mountain ctivity centre the staff were very friendly and accommodating, this continued throughout the day with our great instructor who was also very knowledgeable and clearly enjoys what he does.
From someone who would definatley not have chosen to do something like this, I had a wonderful day and may even concider doing something similar again - (with a little push).

1  Thank purplefraggle
Reviewed 20 September 2004

I prebooked an open canoe taster day for myself and boyfriend with black mountain activities. They telephoned me the week before my holiday to ask if they could change the day. As it happened this was ok.

We arrived on the new day to find that they had booked us onto a kayaking taster day and not a canoeing day. They didn't have a canoe instructor so offered us the kayaking day or canoe hire. We opted for the canoe hire. As we had never canoed we were a little nervous and didn't feel that the staff were terribly responsive to this, offering no advice as to what gear, etc we should take for our day. We were driven with our open canoe to the river where a two minute instruction session was given. Luckily the river was very calm that day!

As it happen we ended up having a fantastic day. We picked the canoeing up very quickly and using the map they provided made our way upstream. We stopped for tea and lunch and saw the most gorgeous scenery and wildlife and not many humans! I would recommend the Glasbury to Whitney trip. It was very nice and we were picked up on time at a nice riverside pub after a cool beer.

I would book with black mountain activities again despite this mistake as locally they have a good reputation. Incidently the canoe hire was a lot cheaper than the guided taster day so we received a nice refund!

3  Thank bambi