“In need of further refurbishment”
Review of Castle of Brecon

Castle of Brecon
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brecon
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We were visiting both for business and to see friends locally and chose The Castle of Brecon mainly because of previous good reviews. Overall we were not disappointed and would agree with other comments about the friendliness of the staff and the good location however the hotel does need to have money spent on it. We understand that there is a rolling programme to upgrade the rooms, unfortunately our 'superior' room (34) had yet to be worked on! The views of the Brecons were magnificent however the decor in the room was tired and in need of refurbishment. Our main complaint was the shower which was so underpowered it would be a certain winner of the 'worst shower in Wales' award. The basin and bathroom window were cracked and the bath panel showed signs of a previous flood (where did the water come from? - certainly not from the shower!). The plastic furniture was decidedly non-Georgian. We ate once in the restaurant. The meal was very good and the portions HUGE. Verdict: Good at the moment and a year or two's time could be excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has been refurbished and be aware of noise from terrace.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephen C

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed here for one night on 26th July for a wedding. We were aware that check in was at 3pm. However, as the wedding was at 2pm, I called the hotel a couple of days before to see if it would be possible to have an early check in. I was advised that the hotel cannot guarantee check in prior to 3pm, but was told if our room was vacated early and it was cleaned before 3pm we would be allowed in earlier.
We arrived at 11.30am after travelling 200 miles. We were greeted by an extremely unhelpful receptionist, who advised me that our room had only been vacated 15 minutes ago by the previous occupant and so check in before 3pm was unlikely. We booked a standard room so I asked if it would be possible to have the first available standard room available. The receptionist said that wouldn't be possible as all rooms had been pre allocated. I couldn't understand this, as surely one standard room is the same as another. The receptionist advised me to come back at 1pm and she would see what she could do. I came back at 1pm. She looked on the computer to see if the room had been cleaned by housekeeping only to be advised that the room was still not ready. Some rooms were ready but not the room that had been allocated to us. I thought it would have made sense to give us a standard room that was available then or ask housekeeping to clean our room as a priority but the receptionist said she couldn't harass the housekeeping staff as they were working as fast as they could. It just didn't make sense to me that some rooms were ready at this point for people who were turning up later. The receptionist made no attempt to get the room ready early for us. As there was no courtesy room, I was offered to get ready in the disabled toilet. This was a dirty smelly toilet where the toilet seat was badly cracked!!!! That was where I got ready for the wedding!!!!!! My husband had to get ready in the gents. I can honestly say I have never experienced such awful customer service in a hotel before. When we were talking to guests at the wedding, they couldn't believe it. Many guests stayed at alternative hotels/ b&bs in the area. Their check in time was also 3pm, but they were allowed into their rooms early to get ready for the wedding. If other hotels could do it, i'm sure this one could. Other guests paid less money for alternative accommodation in the area and received much better service, so I would advise anyone to stay elsewhere and not at this hotel.
On top of this, when we checked out the following day, the same receptionist tried to charge us £12 more than the room rate we had booked. Luckily, I had an e mail from them as proof of the room rate. When I showed the receptionist this, she deducted the £12 off the bill, but there was no apology or anything. I will not be returning to this hotel. I will stay elsewhere on my next visit to the Brecon Beacons and I would advise everyone else to do the same!!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Curly2012
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed one night for work. From the receptionist who greeted us to the member of staff who guided us out of a tight parking space when we left, every single member of staff we met was friendly and helpful. Room clean and well furnished, wonderfully comfortable bed, terrific views. Bit of noise from the terrace but nothing to worry about on a hot summer evening. Good bathroom, everything worked, nice quality shampoo etc, proper hairdryer (unlike many hotels).
Had dinner in the Bistro - excellent value and delicious food. The hotel had a realy friendly, lively feel - nice to have a choice of well-maintained outdoor space and a really comfortable bar and lounge to sit in. Would recommend wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are just that - spectacular view, but be aware of noise coming up from the terra...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed in one of the cottage rooms (can't remember the number though) which also had a living room area which was great.

Add to that a bright, clean room, good bed, friendly staff, right in the center of Brecon. Food was great too and all at a very fair price so not sure what more you could want!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013

can't praise this place enough!!!!!!!! brilliantly priced,fantastic staff,very friendly and helpful.
the room was immaculate and comfy and the bathroom was great.parking was easy and free. the garden and beer garden are spotless and relaxind

Room Tip: any room would be great i imagine
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iamrifles
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Booked direct with the hotel for £75 B & B for two. Excellent check in, straight to room 25 which is really well appointed.
We went back to the hotel after a few drinks and food in town and really enjoyed it in the bar which is a cosy place. Breakfast next morning in the bistro was excellent and the gardens are well tended with great views over the Usk.
All in all I think this place is a real gem.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Booked a room through laterooms £80 for the night..room was nice room 27 bit small...went to the bar in the evening..could do with a few more seats ...we had a good night sleep..stayed the next day for Sunday lunch..£16 for a two course dinner which my partner said was the best Sunday lunch he'd ever had .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brecon
Peterstone Court Hotel
Llangoed Hall
Llangoed Hall
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa

Been to Castle of Brecon? Share your experiences!