“Nice food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Food was of a good quality, though a tad chaotic on a busy Bank Holiday Saturday Evening. Good service on both nights, team couldn't do enough to please.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

None of us in our group (my father, my wife and I) had been here under the current management and we called rather on the spur of the moment. What a treat we had. My father and I both ordered pasta (I had the cheese ravioli and my father, the beef lasagne) and my wife ordered fish and chips.

The service was prompt, friendly and accurate, and above all, not overbearing.

My wife, who grew up in the East Riding of Yorkshire, declared her fish remarkably good for so far inland. My father's lasagne almost defeated him. There was a good balance between pasta, ragù and béchamel, the flavours had melded perfectly, and the presentation (in a lasagne dish) was simple, understated, and appropriate.

If I had to find something to criticise about my ravioli, I would say I would have liked the portion to be about 50% bigger. The ravioli themselves were delicious: (not-so) little parcels that almost melted on the tongue with a wonderfully rich, creamy cheese sauce. The salad with which they were served was remarkably good and the slightly mustardy salad dressing was a definite hit.

My wife and I both had dessert and this was probably the low point of the evening. After such wonderful main courses, we were quite prepared to be blown away by dessert. It wasn't to be. The taste was fine (my wife had cheesecake and I had treacle pudding) and there was certainly plenty of custard with my treacle pudding but they really did taste disappointingly bought-in.

There was only one real ale on tap (something from the Rhymney brewery) but that's hardly surprising in the middle of winter. It was well kept and the line to the pump was clean.

The price was entirely reasonable, all the more so given how good the food was, and I can well see us calling there again in the very near future. I wish we lived nearer so I could make it my local.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We live half the year in Wales and the other half in the Western Isles. When in Wales we frequently go to this Coaching Inn for meals and are never disappointed. This is a family run business and we are made to feel very welcome. The steak and ale pie is sooooooo good that we almost always choose that from the menu. We have taken friends and family members with us on some occasions and they have been equally impressed. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We were passing the Castle Coaching Inn on Sunday and decided to stop for a spot of lunch. We both ordered the beef and we we were not disappoiunted! The veg was cooked to a turn, the roasties were excellent and the beef and yorkshire pudding were quite superb.

We will most definately be going back to this restaurant, great food, great service and very reasonably priced. 10 out of 10!!

1  Thank JohnStar56
Reviewed 27 August 2013

it was our first visit to this hotel, we were shown into the very comfortable lounge as we were early.our meal was ready promptly and all 18 of us thoroughly enjoyed it.

1  Thank jimbobWales