“Fantastic food in country atmosphere”
Review of The Usk Inn

The Usk Inn
Ranked #34 of 72 Restaurants in Brecon
Price range: US$57 - US$57
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed at the nearby Pencelli Castle caravan park, and whilst they had some recommendations in Talybont-on-Usk, this one wasn't on the list.

Came here on the back of the recommendation of a friend who mentioned the food was great.

Entered at about 18.30 on a Tuesday night - place was empty which surprised us. Lovely roaring fire was on near the comfy sofas to counter the wet and miserable day outside. We were given the menu and pretty quickly decided on steak - unfortunately fillet was off the menu so a Tbone and rump were ordered.

When the food was nearly ready, they prepared a nearby table for us and we sat down to what can only be described as a HUGE TBone steak - it was almost bigger than the plate! The rump was also great, and the sauces were interesting. Chips were hot and crispy, just as they should be.

Whilst service wasn't the best I've ever experienced, it didn't deteriorate from the meal at all. After finishing we moved back to the sofas and ordered (eventually) a cheese platter for dessert - the Y Fenny cheese (with what seemed to be mustard seeds?) was a local cheese and was amazing!

All together food and drinks only came to about £40 which I thought very reasonable. Very surprised that this isn't higher up the list as couldn't fault the food and would happily return.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Taken there by son and girlfriend, hungry after a long day. Bad choice. They had had a good meal there some time ago.
Wish I had looked at other reviews, I agree the place and the food need a serious update. Place is shabby, old fashioned and unclean.
I had spinach pasta- I have never seen pasta served burnt on top, before. I mean the pasta burnt black as if seared with a torch. Could have been OK without that. But burnt taste was awful.
Others had beef and said this was OK.
All vegetables over cooked. Cheesecake also awful - jam on top and cheap biscuit base.
Slow service and poor. When I said the pasta wasn't good, the answer? 'Oh' What's the point asking if you really aren't interested.
Not expensive in the scheme of things, but overpriced for poor food

2  Thank stillmum
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We called in Good Friday to have lunch. The place really looked uncared for -not as we remembered it from our last visit. The meal and service had also declined to being bad. The young man who served us didn't stay more than two minutes and we had to ask for butter for the toast for out pate , for mayonnaise for salad dressing etc .
We ordered scallops wrapped in smoked salmon for our main They were served on wet tasteless spinach and additional veg that we sent back - broccoli was yellow, green beans were over cooked and I have thrown better out, carrots were over cooked.
Scallops were OK but bland and the smoked salmon had been cooked and was dry .
Our table we had to ask to be cleaned and my husbands plate was not clean
The ladies toilet had a container of liquid soap that was almost empty and was sticky , the one hand towel was soaking wet.
Where we ate there we dead plants on the window sill and the bar was not manned so it as a wait if you wanted anything.
Very disappointing our bill was over £40 and whe I complained to the man who took our money he just shrugged his shoulders !

1  Thank AEL73
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We only stayed for one drink on what was a very quiet Saturday night, which might be explained by the weather and time of year. However, comparing the general layout, atmosphere and availability of drinks to the other pubs in the area it was probably the third best on the list of pubs that we found in Talybont-on-Usk.

1  Thank Roland S
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Popped in for a couple of drinks after our meal, they were very welcoming and friendly. Nice traditional pub

1  Thank Becki T