“A really invigorating walk...”
Review of Pen-y-Fan

Pen-y-Fan
More attraction details
Owner description: At just under 3,000 feet, this is the highest mountain in South Wales and the jewel in the crown that is the Brecon Beacons National Park.
Reviewed 21 January 2018

I have completed this walk several times. First thing I must say is avoid weekends, particularly Sunday mornings as it's so popular it's like Piccadilly Circus and no fun at all. Best done on a weekday during school holidays if you have children. Secondly, when you look on a map and see Storey Arms be warned, it is not a pub. Countless walkers have been disappointed by this and the local tourist authority should consider changing it's name for that reason. Thirdly there are two summits on top - the one to the left is not the highest peak so don't waste your energy by climbing that as you have to come down again.Simply carry on to the furthest one to reach the peak. Finally remember that although it's warm at ground level it can be freezing up there, so layers of clothing that you can easily take off and put back on are best. A rucksack, waterproofs, bottles of water, snacks and strong, comfortable footwear are essential. Oh and a camera phone for those photos everyone seems to possess. Above all have a great time !

6  Thank bulletdozer
in 24 reviews
"steep walk"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Ok so I have fibromyalgoa and was worries that I may not be able to do it but as climbing a mountain was on my bucket list I was pretty determined. Unfortunately the weather wasn't playing ball and we not only had very low fog but severe winds and rain. Despite this from what I could see it was beautiful and there is a path most of the way so I personally would say that made it easier for me. Would definately go again but on a sunnier day.

4  Thank Emz C
Reviewed 17 January 2018

A stunning mountain that i tackled twice during a special forces test march. I'll be back. A word of warning though the conditions at the top can be completely different to those at the bottom and make sure you dress appropriately and take a map and compass.

1  Thank Graham G
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Felt initially disheartened when starting the walk up Pen Y Fan as it was very cloudy despite sun being forecast. However the weather is so unpredictable and as we got further towards the top the clouds disappeared and it was sunshine and beautiful views. Had some lunch up at the top. Amazing!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

Well what an amazing National Park. But if you have never hiked the Fan before, like us please read. We are a couple of late 50 year olds. Fairly for I think. There are web sites gives details of how to set off to walk to Pen Y Fan from the left of The Storey Arms..DONT. This takes you up and over Corn Du, a much harder strenuous hike for someone who is not first or used to walking. Leave this route for the 2nd time if you feel you are up to it. Looking at The Storey Arms on the right, further down the road is another lay-by about 400metres away. A walkable path runs to it if you have parked your car opposite the Storey Arms. This is called the Granny Trail by locals but this is where you need to start, unless you are already fit. Thank fully our son meet us at Pen Y Fan and he knows the routes well. I am so thankful I didn’t go via Corn Du. Well it’s steep ( the family with a child in a buggy would never have made it),it’s unpredictable, it’s cold, it’s windy and it’s a hard slog. We took it slowly, plenty of water, they can drink from the streams as it’s so clear. Good shoes, hats , scarf gloves and a camera. Well worth the hike, but it’s not for the faint hearted.

3  Thank ellendown