“A home away from home.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hazelwood House
Hazelwood House
Ranked #1 of 13 Bridgend B&B and Inns
Geelong, Australia
“A home away from home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

We were a group of three Australians visiting Wales for the first time. Bridge end was a good location to use as a base for exploring the area. Hazelwood house was like a home away from home. The rooms were spacious and very clean. Each room had a large bathroom with a good shower. The staff were very welcoming and helpful with directions and suggestions for places to eat. The breakfast was a choice of continental and full English breakfast which was served at a time to suit us in a lovely sunny dining room. We would recommend this place if you want somewhere which is convenient (1.3 km) out of town with good parking and within walking distance to a good hotel for and evening meal.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed in this little gem of a guest house, as we were attending a family wedding nearby.
Staff were friendly and welcoming.
Rooms were very spacious, with tea/coffee making facilities, tv, a large en-suite bathroom, hairdryer and trouser press. The bed was king size and had a duvet, which was very cosy and the option of extra pillows (always an added bonus)
Breakfast was arranged at a time to suit us not them! As we were attending a wedding and were not certain how/when we would rise the next morning, we opted for a late breakfast, which was not a problem. We chose the "Full Welsh Breakfast" unsure how this differed from the traditional "Full English"? It was cooked well and there was plenty of bread to make toast with marmalades, jams, marmite, honey. Cereals and fresh juice was also available to help yourself to.
Tony then very kindly arranged to drive us to the nearby venue to collect our car, which had been left overnight - a true gent.
All in all a pleasant stay, however it is out "in the sticks" so a little unsure about any nearby evening entertainment.

Room Tip: We had room 2 which was very pleasant, overlooking the gardens. Did not have any disturbed sleep her...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hewy0104
Rhuddlan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

I stayed for one night with a colleague from work to attend a meeting. I not usually a fan of guest houses but this was lovely. We received a warm welcome on arrival and found the rooms to be nice and warm and very clean. We wanted a meal in the evening and they were able to suggest somewhere to eat, and even gave us a lift to the pub!!
Lovely cooked breakfast in the morning. Has definitely changed my opinion of a guest house.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Tony the proprietor was a true gentleman and a consummate professional.

I live in London but from the area, so the scene is set. There was a family party in Bridgend on what happened to be the weekend of the World Elvis convention in the nearby resort of Porthcawl.
I needed 1 room for 2 nights with Breakfast. I tried Hotels within 2 miles of the venue then remembered my sister stays here and rants about it... I explained the situation to Tony and that if the hotels had a room it was for 1 night only and at an inflated price, so was hoping he could accommodate me. After listen to my recommendation (from sis) and obvious plight, I was made aware of a room he keeps for regulars that I may want to view. Needless to say, I took it; double bed, on-suit satellite TV, lovely views of the gardens and very quiet. Clean well stocked bathroom and anytime I wanted it a full 'Welsh Breakfast' (English really, as it was shy of laver bread and other exotic Welsh cuisine). But i must say it was a good size and very tasty, with a large table of other items you could help yourself to. Fresh coffee or tea, many juices. Got the picture... Highly recommended large house / bungalow set in its own ground with very friendly staff.

Room Tip: There are only 6 ish and all good
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Christopher C
newport gwent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

First time I have ever taken time out to write a review. Stayed at Hazelwood House nearest accommodation I could book to the Elvis Festival at Porthcawl, I was supporting a young lady with a learning disability who had saved up all her money for this trip of a lifetime, she was greeted and treated amazing, excellent all round facilities both for pleasure and business with an excellent friendly and professional service, rooms very clean, spacious and decorated to a high standard, nothing was too much trouble for Tony the owner he made you feel a very important and wanted guest. food was excellent, choice for breakfast overwhelming, I would recommend this warm and friendly guest house to anyone, excellent value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Leicestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed at Hazelwood House recently whilst visiting family in the area. It is a really lovely guest house, with a rural feel to it,situated amongst meadows and trees, yet not far from the centre of Bridgend. The rooms were spacious,well equipped, and spotlessly clean. Breakfasts also were good.There is free and plentiful parking close to the House. However, the thing that really made the place special for us was the welcome we were given by Tony, the owner. He made us feel completely at ease, offering help and advice when we needed it, but allowing us space when we wanted to do our own thing. Not an easy balance to maintain in a small hotel, but very successfully managed at Hazelwood House.We thought the hotel was very good value for money too. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

Just had to do a review for this great, friendly little place that my husband and I found last year and we decided to visit again. We came home today!

The welcome was just as warm as the first time and the staff were unobtrusive but attentive. The manager/owner was clearly interested in us as guests and asked us each day if we had enjoyed our trips out. He also gave us some great ideas about places to eat etc.

We had the ground floor king-sized room which was spacious and well equipped. I enjoyed the duvet as I get a little tired of sheets and throws or blankets that you get in lots of hotels these days (they are always tucked in all the way round and I wrestle them before I go to bed which makes everything so untidy - duvets are great). Parking too was a breeze, with a large spacious car park that meant that everyone parked easily (the hotel was full). I liked the tree at the front and that it was lit up at night as this made it all feel very romantic.

Having read other people's reviews before visiting this time, I was actually more conscious of external noise than I had been on the first visit, although I didn't find the occasional traffic noise even remotely irritating, and I found the sound of the trains strangely reassuring when they passed from time to time - so really this didn't impact on the stay.

Breakfast was organised to our schedule (not the hotel's) and the time we wanted was agreed the night before. The breakfast was ample and really set us up for the day. It was charged in addition to the room rate, but that was clear on booking. It was nice to feel that we didn't need to have breakfast and we wouldn't be wasting money.

All in all - another good, relaxing stay and I have this feeling that this is going to become an annual event. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple