“Great staff and food, but decor needs updating”

Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Bridgend
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed there for two nights. The staff were helpful and the food was nice. However, the hotel seem outdated and lighting dim so makes you feel a bit depressed. Nonetheless it is clean and a comfortable stay.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for your review, I am happy to hear you were happy with your stay and the staff that served you. We will continue our refurbishment programme which will include the standard bedrooms and corridors, this will complete the refurbishment of the hotel.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Just spent one night here for a two day conference.Tea/coffee consistently cold,even when ordered hot chocolate from the bar...cold!!the staff couldn't have been more unfriendly unwelcoming and miserable,I felt like my family and I were just a burden they didnt want to deal with.The Christmas meal was served cold and by the the time the veg came out that was freezi,the veg was also severely undercooked,desert?well my table was completely missed out took about 45 minutes after the other tables had finished for us to get our desert even after asking the whole table twice what we had ordered for desert.Breakfas time was also obviously a busy time but again to be completely ignored for at least half an hour was a disgrace to then be told with the worst attitude I have seen on anyone working in customer service,we are short staffed so you know just have to wait,yes obviously they were not well equipped to deal with such a big group at once but people had come in after us and were served plenty before us.The same waitress then went and dropped a tray of dirty crockery and cutlery over my little girl who was minding her own business when the waitress tried to squeeze past tables and the breakfast station and my girl was getting her breakfast,totally careless.It was clear the children were not so welcome at this hotel and it showed by the waitress consistently setting a separate table in a separate room expecting the parents to leave 7kids ranging from 18months to 12yrs
To eat alone like they were animals and not part of the group they attended with.I don't feel like we were treated the same way any other guest staying here and the children were in the eyes of the staff just a nuisance they tried to ignore , customer service here was diabolical I would never wish to put my children through that again.All I have to say that was good is that the room was nice and the young boys serving at the bar were polite and more accommodating than any other member of staff working there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for your review I am sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would however like to confirm that the organsier of your conference arranged the creche facilities and the separate lunch dining for the children. The hotel is very child friendly, and the waitress you have mentioned has worked at the hotel for over 30 years, we have never received a complaint about her being rude and she loves children, she even looked after your children when you collected your food from the buffet. She did ask if the children were able to take a seat in the restaurant during breakfast as she had, had an accident that moring with a child running into her while she was carrying a tray and she was afraid that when carrying hot food and drinks this could occur again. The hotel does not tolerate abusive language to its staff and had the waitress made the manager aware of this we would have reported you to your conference organiser. In terms of the Christmas meal our banqueting manager spoke with the organsier on the night of the event and he said everything went really well, all of the other guests attending were also very happy with the meal served and commented upon this. The three course meal was served completely within one and a half hours so a 45 minute wait for dessert would have been impossible.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have used this hotel on many occasions, it has just undergone a refurbishment and is of very good quality. The Herons spa is very nice, the food is good in the bar and the welcome is warm. A nice hotel

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keen-holidaymaker
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you for your review, I am happy to read you enjoy your stays at the hotel and you like the new refurbishment. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

The good points:
Following recent refurbishment the bar, dining rooms and lounge areas are now very presentable and have modern hotel features including lots of pretty objects on shelves lit by spot lights - I'm never sure what these are for but many hotels have them, and it seems to be a good sign.
That staff are friendly and welcoming and promptly try to fix the many issues you may have with your room (see below) if that is possible.

The bad points:
Many rooms are very tired (I have tried 14 and 16), they have vintage colour TVs, the bathrooms have noisy fans, institutional type sealed floors, institutional stainless steel toilet roll dispensers, taps and toilets that drip, a general air of uncleanliness, the windows catches are broken and both room and bathroom have very poor lighting delivered by a range of dismal and old fashioned light fittings. Dripping taps and toilets have however been fixed promptly for me. The beds are very soft and both rooms I have stayed in have two single beds which are short enough for my feet to hang off the end (I'm 6'1") and narrow enought to be worried about falling out of when turning over. There are of course the pointless touch of a small blue satin pillow and blue satin cover for the foot of the bed. I don't object to these things, but it would be good if the more important features could be fixed before money is spent on trimmings.
The whole atmosphere of the rooms I have stayed has been shabby, although it seems others have fared better. I am one of the unfortunate people who were directed to the right of reception where the shabby rooms seem to be.

The resturant serves a good range of breakfast options, although the full cooked breakfast is a little heavy on grease. Dinner is prepared, as described,with fresh local ingredients (ok, I couldn't verify they were local but I believe them) however the ingredients seem to be combined and cooked with only a very basic level of skill before being served on a range of trendy slate "plates" - again, too much focus on trimmings, not enough focus on getting the basics right.

Overall, the rooms, food and bar all seem very expensive for the quality. As I say in the title, it's all relative, and if this were a £50 per night hotel and the bar and dinners were a little cheaper then I would probbably rate it as ok, but at £70 per night, it's poor.

A final note, if you have a Best Western Gold rewards card, don't expect a room upgade. Despite BW advertising these upgrades "subject to availability" at the Heronston they mysteriously never seem to be available, even when you ask. This is based on my three visits only so I could have been unlucky.

Room Tip: Definately don't stay on the ground floor side to the right of reception, I've tried that th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with elements of your stay. We strive to improve standards and training inline with the feed back we recieve from customers. Our standard bedrooms are awaiting the delievery of new TV's which will be fitted immediately, which will make a big difference to our guests experience. In terms of the meals available at the hotel we offer, bar meals, room service and restaurant meals all freshly home cooked with local ingredients by our experienced chefs, led by our award winning head chef.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Here's a hotel with a nice lobby, fresh new bar, restaurant and fitness facilities (nice pool!) - so there is much to enjoy. But I have to say I am little put off when cleaners don't scrub the tiles in the bathroom - there was some mold between the tiles and the bathroom fan was on it's last (loudly creaky legs). I won't return because of these things - and I would have given you a 4 if these had been dealt with. You had painted the room - and I don't mind a room with older furniture. It was nice and spacious.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in a "skylight" or "sky" room - this is a room with only a skylight...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, I have addressed the points made concerning our housekeeping / maintenance team. I am happy to read you liked our bar area and leisure club. I hope when you are visiting the area in future you will stay at the hotel and see the hotels true standards.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Not a bad word to say for the place. Service exceptional both prior to check in and during the stay. Staff could not possibly have done more to welcome and help us.
Big car park and close to the doors.
Bar food lovely, service prompt and plenty of choice for food and drink- especially nice to see a good selection of Welsh drinks. Very nice place to sit and relax- I appreciated the newspapers available in the bar.
Breakfast was great too- loads of choice and everything looked fresh.
Pool etc very good- spotlesly clean and a good temperature.
Every inch of the place was spotless to be honest (I work in a hotel so am well aware of the bits that usually get missed). Truth be told I was hoping to find a few dusty spots (just to prove the Heronston wasn't perfect). I pulled the bed out and ran a finger behind the loo and along a few corridor skertings- all clean and totally dust free!
Great room- nice decor, comfy sofa and the nicest bed I think I've ever slept in! Loved the welcoming touches like a plate of mints. Good internet conection in the room (as was throught the hotel) and plenty of channels on the TV.
Would not hesiatate to stay again if I'm in the area and will certainly recommend it!

Room Tip: I doubt there any poor rooms- I was hosting several guests and saw most of their rooms- which were a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for your kind review, I galde to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and in comparison to other Best Western group hotels, this simply isn't up to standard. It's not a bad hotel by any means, but could be a lot better.
The food and service from the staff however, is of a very high standard indeed with the exception of the reception staff. I have been a Diamond tier member of the Best Western group for a number of years which automatically means that you get a free newspaper ordered for you on check-in and, if rooms are available, a free upgrade. These options have never been offered to me unlike at other group hotels, even when the hotel is fairly empty (the bar staff do divulge some of the hotel's secrets if you ask discreetly) so I am qualified to comment on this issue.
I have to say that the quality of the food is of a very high standard, breakfast is exceptional, as are the waiting staff.
The bar staff always greet you with a warm Welsh welcome and look after your every request.
The rooms are OK, very clean and above average but I don't think that the corridors have seen a hoover for months! The bathrooms in each room have obviously received the plumbing touches from former communist block residents - no room or flexibilty to adjust the shower heads unless you are over 6" in height!
The TV's in each of the rooms are of the 1980's vintage type, some don't work! Surely in the 21st century, flat screen TV's could be procured at a reasonable cost when buying in bulk.
This is not a bad hotel by any means but it could be so much better.

Room Tip: Check the extraction fans in the bathroom before unpacking - they're very noisy and stay on for...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, I am happy to hear you are pleased with the service you recieve from our food and beverage departments. I am sure you are aware that the free upgrades to Executive or Superior bedrooms are issued at the time of arrival and can only be done when these rooms are available. Rewards members get a free newspaper of there choice at the hotel, if you have not recieved this I must apologise, but this is usually credited to your invoice automatically by the night audit team. Please let reception know should this happen again and the credit will be given immediately. In terms of the TV's these are being replaced in all bedrooms. I hope you will have enjoyable future stays and continue to ask the reception team about the upgrades as when they are available they will be happy to upgrade your bedroom.