“A good business hotel”

Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Bridgend
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Seemed more like a one-off hotel than part of a chain. Room was a decent size, but annoyingly there was no power socket near the desk, which seems a bit daft.
Radiator wasn't on and I couldn't find any way to turn it on, so room was cold, but bedding was warm enough
Excellent fish and chips in the bar, and very cheap beer.
Decent if unexceptional breakfast, part buffet part cooked to order
I didn't use the leisure centre but it looked good

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for your review, I am happy to hear you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed your meal in the bar. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Nice hotel good food good value good location easy to find excellent spa facilities,stayed here in July with 15 friends rooms clean and tidy,nice restaurant,only slight concern could do with secure parking though.otherwise all good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you fior your kind review, I am happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and would like to reasure you we have never had an issue with our car park, plus we do have CCTV streamed to a live feed at reception which is manned 24 hours. We look forward to welcoming you and your party back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I first reviewed the Crane Restaurant back in 2012 after having Sunday lunch there with family. It was OK but nothing special. Since then I'm assuming something has changed (New chef perhaps?) as the food has greatly improved. We've had several Sunday lunches there since and the food has always been really really tasty and we've throroughly enjoyed everything we've ordered! Special mention goes to a brisket of beef I had on one occasion. I've never tried this cut of beef before but I have to say it was beautifully cooked. It literally fell apart on my fork and was incredibly tender, juicy and delicious. I also had some laverbread and cockle fishcake starters one time. These had been shaped into little round balls, were very prettily presented and they were scrummy! I would also like to say that the veg served with Sunday lunch is also very tasty. Previously it could be a bit insipid as though it had been left stewing over warm water for a long time. Now the roast potatoes seem properly home-cooked: Crunchy on the outside + fluffy on the inside and the other veg actually tastes of what it should! Presentation is always very nice, good choice of desserts and nice portions, not some great big slab dumped sloppily on your plate like some places. Very pleasant waiters and waitresses. A special mention to Cipri (hope I've spelt his name right) Despite English not being his first language, he has an excellent grasp of it, is extremely pleasant, well-presented and very professional - a lovely gentleman! Will continue to book here with family lunches now. Well done to all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for your kind review, I an happy to hear you enjoyed the meals in our Crane restaurant, Cipri is very pleased with his compliment and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Myself and a group of work colleagues attended the Bavarian night over the Christmas period...what a great idea and the evening was a success.All of our table enjoyed and judging by the rest of the guests they enjoyed too. I hope more theme nights will happen ..The bar has been re furnished and is very nice ...if think a lot of the other areas would benefit from a refurb..the food wa delicious and plenty of it...definitely look out for other events on at this venue.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review, I happy to hear you had such a good time at the Bavarian night and we look forward to welcoming you back to future events.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here after christmas into the new year, and noticed that some internal decorating had taken place since last time we stayed here.

The Bar area had benefited from a makeover with new chairs, and soft furnishings etc and we thought maybe our room was going to be the same.... No! It was very dated, very basic, and i felt it was in need of sprucing up!

The Television looked older than me (and i am 34) and the shower was horrific, trickling out with scolding hot water which I could not adjust with the tap.

However, the staff were all very helpful, and pleasant, especially the waitress who was only too happy to help out when it came to my son needing soya milk for his breakfast. The next morning he was given his own carton of soya milk to be kept in the fridge especially for him! (a nice touch considering he is just 6 yrs old, this made his day!)

The cooked Breakfast was delicious, and gave us a good start each day!

We used the swimming pool and jacuzzi which is lovely to unwind after a long busy day!

Apart from some of the hotel needing some TLC it is a reasonably priced place to stay.

One thing i forgot to mention, is the carpark. It is full of large potholes and uneven surfaces which does not make it very easy when you are going to and from the car having to avoid lots of big puddles!!

Yes i would stay here again, it is not a bad place - but some improvements are needed in the bedrooms.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, I am happy to see you like the refurbishment we have already completed. This is part of a full refurbishment plan and we will refurbish all rooms. New Tv's are purchased and being fitted to all rooms currently. We have booked for the main carpark to be resurface on Monday 3rd February 2014. We hope to welcoming you back in the future and that you will again see further improvements to the hotel.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have been to quite a few weddings and Xmas party's at this hotel but this weekend for yet another wedding,a lot of my family booked rooms!!!i was dissapointed to see that the first family room we were given was ages away from the rest of the party(totally the other side of the hotel,and through loads of corridors)after asking to change rooms which were closer to the rest/was given one not that close but better than before as that was the closest they had left!?!?but compared to the other rooms was very dated!!had a really old tv(which didn't work other than 2 channels)the fire exit window was open so it was freezing,and took a big of time to close(quite tricky)bed spreads were really outdated compared to my sisters room which was really fresh and miles better,,the food and service!food was 3 course and was ok..they made sure you had enough but were a little manic in getting round the room!!but my sister the bride was happy so that's wat mattered,the children sat on there own table and the waiter that served them was fabulous,he made them all feel special,even bringing out mint sauce!!!all staff were helpfull and friendly.buffet was boring but that being said it was what was ordered,I just thought a little bland and basic..could of plated it better,or somthing,I've worked in catering and know a bit of garnish can do wonders!!overall not bad but getting these rooms up dated is a must..I see from the reviews that this has been years of promises. Yet 2014 and they still ain't all ready?the price of these rooms I think should be around £50 not £73.maybe with the updated rooms and tvs then fair enough but until there done I think discount needs to be applied to the bland/basic rooms...I'm thinking about wedding venues myself and I may consider this place but I will check out if the rooms have all been done before I do as if my guests are staying I don't want some to have a lovely room and some to have dated rooms.overall staff seemed great and I suppose that's what counts as decor can be changed!!!so with a few little touches thus place can only get better....

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your review, I am please your sister was happy with her weddings service and food and and would like to thank you for your kind comments concerning the staff at the hotel. The TV's are currently being fitted to all bedrooms and no old TV's will be in the hotel when you visit the hotel in future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This has to be one of the worst places I have ever stayed. I was part of a group attending a residential conference at The Heronston. We had been advised that there was a hearing loop which we would be able to use. The only hearing loop was at the reception desk. We were not allowed to check into our rooms until 4pm, so when 4pm came one person was at reception to give out room numbers and keys. The food was appalling, no hot food at lunch and our Christmas celebration meal in the evening was inedible, fine if you like carrots and sprouts which are so crisp you cannot put a knife through them, raw potatoes and the worst possible service. We were a party of about 50, including children accompanying parents. I was horrified to observe that the children were not allowed in the restaurant, they were shuffled off to some other room with their mothers, this was not what we expected. On the Tuesday morning one of the mothers refused to be shuffled away, only for the staff to refuse to serve her and her children. The evening of our party there was nobody manning the bar, if you wanted a drink you had to telephone the bar and somebody would eventually turn up to serve you.
If you are planning a conference DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER this hotel. The rooms were run down with shabby bathrooms, faulty electrical items etc etc.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs.