“Great stay care of Living Socials”

Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Bridgend
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Great stay care of Living Socials”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We managed to book a great deal with Living Socials which included a 3 course evening meal, breakfast, use of spa and gym facilities and a back and neck massage. It was excellent value. The rooms on the ground floor were a little tired and the fact there were 2 wedding celebrations going on meant we ate in a separate dining room (nicer as more intimate) but the corridors were noisy overnight. The rooms upstairs had creaky floor boards which woke us several times but the bedroom was large and had all we needed. Our room (14) had a broken fan in the bathroom but was not an issue.
The staff were all helpful although the receptionist on our arrival informed us there was a shortage of towels! (we were then sent a gown each so no problems). Dan in the restaurant was really helpful and when I said it was my boyfriend's birthday Dan arranged to have a candle put in his pudding, the chef had written Happy Birthday around the plate in chocolate and the staff sang happy birthday all making it a special evening.
The massage was amazing and very professional. Deanne and Fran worked very well as a team and gave great back massages. (Well recommended).
The pool, sauna, steam room and hot tub were all great too and we so really enjoyed our stay. Thank you and providing there is another deal we will be back.

Room Tip: Not room 14. ask for refurbished room and one upstairs.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your kind review, I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Me and my partner got a deal on this place for the night c/w a massage .
The place looks very tied on the out side but most of the rooms have just been updated.
We up graded are room which was very nice. Well layed out good size great shower and very clean.
The staff came as a mixed bag some very helpfull then others that could not care less..shame.
The spa area inside was fine with a nice pool outside again was tied.
The bar was over priced and not a place to spend a lot of time.
The food at best was just ok with little to choose from.
When I asked for the wine list I was informed at this time they did not have one as it was being reworked lol. So I had some odd bottle they still had??
If your looking for a stay over in the area and can get a deal on one of the site take a look but not worth a visit in its own right.

Room Tip: Up grade from the standard well worth the money. Also make sure you get a room that's been upda...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am glad to see you would recommend the hotel. In terms of the restaurant we have come throught the transition stage, we have a new wine list and menus and are full operational. I hope you will return to the hotel in future for us to exceed your expectations.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Good:
Extremely Helpful Staff
Decent Buffet Breakfast
Lovely, Quaint and Quite location for a relaxing getaway & spa

Not so Good:
The section under renovation has a lot of problems

We stayed here for 3 nights in Mid April to celebrate our anniversary. Initially we were given an upgrade to the deluxe room. However, the upgrade was in the section undergoing renovation. My family and I had to travel through many corridors, stuffy with paint fumes and the room was pretty much the last one down the maze.

While the room was lovely and had a great garden view, I had to request for a change on the second day as I couldn't bear walking my child through the paint fumes and to top it off, the door lock wasn't functioning.

When informed, the reception kindly shifted us to a family room in the old wing. This room, while older in style was clean, spacious and thankfully had no fumes. The rest of the stay was quite nice and the staff were extremely helpful. They made our anniversary quite special and I would definitely opt for the hotel again, once they are fully renovated.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anuj G
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your review, I am happy to confirm all the suprior bedrooms refurbishment have been completed so you sould not have this issue in future. I am happy you still had an enjoyable stay and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you and your family.
Ketton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed in a suite and for £90 a night for two of us it was hard to fault. There's nothing flash here, just good basic stuff.
The breakfast was good, the bar friendly and the overall decor fine. Our room was very big with a decent tv and very clean.
The staff were friendly and very helpful.
Handy for cardiff with the station five mins away.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the suite... much bigger.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review, I am happy you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

On May 3rd we had our wedding in the newly furnished part of the hotel.

We met up several times with our wedding coordinator Mark Burgess before the main day to go through the plans it was slick.

I have to be honest Mark was fantastic from. Without doubt the best customer experience i have ever had. Mark and the staff made our day so extra special.

Everyone has mentioned to me how lovely the staff were and how great the food was (It was excellent) We had the perfect day (Also a sunny Saturday in Wales only happens a few times a year). We had a person come in to do our decorations and they liaised with the hotel and was smooth. We also stayed in their new honeymoon suite which was beautiful.
Breakfast in the morning was also delicious.

People are quick to complain about bad service. Our service was perfect and i want to say Thank you. If you are looking into booking this hotel for a wedding do it! I can not recommend it enough.

Also Heronston and Best Weston take note give Mark Burgess a Pay rise and a promotion you need to keep staff like this on board.

Room Tip: They have new rooms and old rooms going though a stage of decoration ask for the new ones we booked...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind review, I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your wedding day. Mark is one of our star's at the hotel and I have passed your comments on to him and on to the chef. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to you visiting us again in the future.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I chose the Heronston for a Spa Day treat for myself and 7 of my friends as the start of my 40th birthday celebrations. We were welcomed warmly on arrival and given brand new towels and robes. Mark showed us the Bar Area where we would be meeting for lunch and then took us straight to the Leisure club. The pool area is spotlessly clean with lovely relaxing mood lighting. We felt like VIPs - had the place to ourselves and the whole day was a thoroughly pleasurable experience. Mark looked after us all day - he was attentive without being overbearing, thoughtful and considerate and nothing was too much trouble. The treatment I had (facial) was the best I have ever had. The atmosphere was unhurried, the food was superb and the personal touches including a birthday card from the staff stood out as being exceptional customer service. I have trained a number of organisations in frontline customer service and I can honestly say that I could not find anything lacking in their professionalism. We were all impressed and have already recommended this Spa Package to a number of our friends. Can't wait to come back and do it all again! Would love there to have been an outside pool as it was a beautiful sunny day but that did not detract from an altogether superbly chilled out experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melissa R
Heronston01, General Manager at Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review, I am happy to hear you had such a wonderful day and that the team at the hotel looked after you so well. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near fututre or maybe for your next birthday!
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Location great, parking good, welcome very good. I am originally form Bridgend and was returning to visit friends. I wanted a quiet rest after a long journey. I was in for a suprise. The room next door reverbarated with the screaming and shouting of children until gone 10pm. I presume the parents were both deaf as they had the television up very loud. Part of the problem was the walls in this place are so thin I could hear people coughing, talking in the next room and it sounded like a herd of elephants walking down the corridor. Granted the hotel cannot be held to account for the behaviour of its residents but even if this family hadn't been next door the hotel would not have been peaceful given the poor internal wall structures. The room also benefitted from the cosnstant noise of heavy vehicles on the road adjacent. All in all a great shame. A strange practice also at reception was taking a credit or debit card and pre charging it with less than the total amount of the bill. I was told that in the morning I would then need to present my card again and pay the balance. Why? I paid the full amount in the evening as I preffered to get away quickly in the morning. I checked out and then was asked for my card again to pay the balance; I had already paid the full amount! Silly system as reception was packed in the morning. A very pleasant and effcient woman was trying to deal with at 8 people trying to book out. I would not comsider returning to this Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if there is such a thing there
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Stephen L
Thank you for your review. I am please to hear you thought the staff at the hotel were welcoming and effiecent, but disappinted that you did not receive a quite break. I hope you will return the hotel in the future so we are able to exceed your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgend
Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4
#4 of 6 in Porthcawl
The Porthcawl Hotel
The Porthcawl Hotel
#6 of 6 in Porthcawl

Been to Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!