“Fantastic Hotel with Fabulous food”

The Great House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Bridgend
UK
“Fantastic Hotel with Fabulous food”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

My husband and I took advantage of a Christmas offer of £95 delux room with 2 course Christmas meal and breakfast on Sat 17th Dec, we were then offered the Junior Suite upgrade for an extra £25 which we accepted. The room was very spacious and at the back of the hotel situated in the old coach house. The whole house was decorated beautifully for Christmas. The food, service and experience were outstanding and the manager Mohammed could not do enough for us. We love the Great House and will certainly be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela A
greathouse, Owner at The Great House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas visit to the Great House and look forward to welcoming you another time.
Stephen Bond.
Proprietor.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I was very very disappointed with xmas meal- freinds of mine had also been the previous day and relayed their poor experience to me and I just thought that it must have been an off day as prior to this had enjoyed all meals I had there. I will offer feed back recieved from various friends that were with me on this day ( I have also asked friends that visited the previous day to leave a review ( IT WOULD BE UNFAIR FOR ME TO REVIEW IF I WAS NOT PRESENT)
Starters: salad presented beautifully but tasteless, soup very bland no flavour/seasoning, Pate seemed the best option feedback it was OK, Maincourse: Vegetarian option came with a tomato sauce- very bland and no taste to sauce, Turkey tasted nice but veg on plate was cold, main veg served on a small side dish again cold and not all served together people waiting along time for their veg to arrive. Desserts: not impressed with xmas pudding as again very bland, orange dessert was quite tasty. I used to go to this restaurant all the time and never had the need to put anything negative, the xmas meals used to be delicious hot and tasty and well served, its such a shame for a local restaurant . We are in a recession at the moment and with xmas some people do not have a lot of spare money but I feel that this restaurant has made alot of cutbacks to the detriment of its customers. I don't think I will return and will also share my disappointment with others.

Room Tip: Didn't stay overnight
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Angels022
greathouse, Owner at The Great House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear Reviewer.
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.
We are constantly striving to increase the standards of what we do. You have obviously been to the Great House on numerous occassions and we are sorry that on this visit we did not meet your expecations.
If you do decide to try us again, please ring beforehand and ask for me personally and I will ensure that I am here to meet you and that you are completely happy with your experience.
Norma Bond FIH.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We visited this restaurant last weekened - our third visit - and we have never been disappointed. We always receive a very warm welcome; the bar and restaurant areas are so comfortable and the food excellent (especially the triple cooked chips!)

The restaurant was decorated for Christmas and looked lovely and as usual we had excellent service from every member of staff. Although we aren't local, my parents are - I just wish we had a restaurant as good as this where we live.

Please give this restaurant a try - you won't be disappointed

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JenniferJones52
greathouse, Owner at The Great House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for your kind review.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We live locally to The Great House and go to the restaurent fairly regularly. It is the best place to eat in Bridgend by far!! The staff are always very attentive and we feel really welcome. I've just booked two spaces for the Gouret Christmas Meal on 2 December and also booked to stay the night. We've never stayed here before but I can't wait. If the service is as good as we get at the restaurent I will be a very happy girl!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle H
Thanks so much for your feedback.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Stayed for two nights for a wedding and the staff were fantastic. Very welcoming and a lovely location

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank kglover7
Thank you for your comments.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Friendly staff, pretty garden and free wi fi. I always like to praise first! Unfortunately the rest is disaster. The room was large and looked over the garden but was circa 1950s in it's decor and amenities. The toilet seat was broken and replaced during our absence on the second day. There was no hot water throughout our 2 night stay. There was a large wardrobe extending the full length of the room but only two doors opened, the rest were mysteriously locked prompting us to feel as if housekeeping was using our room as a base!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 0906judymoss
greathouse, Owner at The Great House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Great House.
It was good to know that the training works and the staff were friendly and the hard work in the garden paid off.
It is difficult to understand why you had no hot water. We have investigated the system and no other guests staying over the same period had a problem with the water not being hot.
The room you stayed in was recently refurbished and has a new 6ft bed, 32” LCD TV, large mains shower and bath, modern vanity sink unit as well as the free WiFi you so kindly mentioned.
The bank of wardrobes are normally opened up for long staying guests, American golfers for instance who need a lot of storage space. We have spoken to the housekeepers and the space is now left freely open all of the time.
I can assure you that your opinion is important to us and had we been aware that you were at all unhappy with your room, the service, the food or the amenities we would have done our very best to please you.
We firmly believe customers don’t always remember the complaint but they remember the way in which it is dealt with.
Thank you once again for your feedback.
Stephen D Bond, Proprietor.
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Stayed last night while travelling through on business. Met by the owner who carried my case to my room, one of the annex rooms, called Lleft, and left me to settle in.
A very large room, well equipped and comfortable. Everything was clean and tea/coffee available. Now, it gets better - went for a light dinner and had the Monk fish - absolutely out of this world. The General Manager, Mohammed an Egyptian, was very friendly and attentive. It turns out he knows some of the same people I do in Sharm. Overall, highly recommended. Local visitors were also there eating. I didn't have the cooked breakfast but wish I had done. Coffee was very good. What a nice surprise to find a hotel like this.

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank Travelling_Macs
greathouse, General Manager at The Great House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Great House.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgend
Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa
The Bear Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cowbridge
Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4
Travelodge Bridgend Pencoed

Been to The Great House Hotel? Share your experiences!