“Bad for your health” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Bridgend
Sussex
“Bad for your health”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I'd booked this "hotel" as was visiting my sister in Bridgend. It was cheapest option, so I didn't have high expectations but I honestly think staying here was detrimental to my health and that is no exaggeration.

As was only staying for one night, I was happy to book a budget hotel and know it was only a bed for the night. I booked a family room, as was three adults and one child. The bed configuration was one double and a queen sized pull out sofa bed, which was fine.

When we arrived, we had a nice friendly welcome and was pleasantly surprised with the clean and spacious lobby (after reading terrible reviews on Trip Advisor.) There is a vending machine too- so you can stck up on bottled water. We were allocated our room on first floor. As we made our way to the room (117), we passed a number of rooms before getting to a connecting door- once passing through this door, the whole coridoor was full of stale smoke. We'd enterered the smoking room part of the hotel. It transpires that all the family rooms are smoking rooms.

A smoking room is one thing, but a room that you struggle to breath in is quite another. The stench hit us immediately, and my nephew who has asthma was instantly overcome with shortness of breath.

The smell, if I had to describe it was of in no uncertain terms, atrocious! Almost like someone had been smoking cigars or a pipe in there continuously for a month and the windows never opened.

We made a complaint at reception who advised that all family rooms are smoking, and that as the hotel was full we could not be moved. I checked my booking confirmation, ready to say that we hadn't been notified- but I saw in the smallprint that it did say family rooms were smoking- I hadn't seen this.

We had no choice but to leave room for the evening, and kept windows wide open- whilst we were out we bought a can of Febreeze and two candles. When we returned, the fresh air made no difference to the smell. We filled the room with air freshner, and lit the candles- but obviously had to extingish these when we went to sleep. Although the solvent was overwhelming, it was much better than the smell of cigarettes. We all spent the night coughing, and heavy breathing. Throughout the night we had to put our heads under the cover to avoid the choking smell (honestly, this is no exaggeration)- thankfully the bedding was clean. My nephew had to use his inhaller throughout the night.

When we woke up, we all smelt of cigarettes but no-one wanted to shower as the shower was flithy- we couldn't get out of here quick enough.

Upon checking out, I explained that we were unhappy to which the receptionist replied "I wouldn't want to stay in one of those rooms either. Sorry about that, but we'll be removing these rooms next year"....

Room Tip: Tip- if you are a family, please stay at the Premier Inn instead (just round the corner) and if you...
1 Thank Kerrieb86

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I had a need to stay close to Bridgend to visit a sick relative in the local hospital and I stayed at this hotel with my family for one night on a last minute booking. I think for one night it's OK but I don't recommend it for anything other than a flying visit. Whilst the desk staff are very friendly the rooms are shabby with stained carpets. The beds are too bouncy and soft (I and my sister have had back twinges since and we both have had back issues in the past) but the linen is fresh and clean. There is no catering facility on site but there is a Harvester near by, and tea and coffee facilities in the room. I have stayed in budget hotels many times and would prefer to stay at a Premier Inn and if not a Travelodge. I would hesitate to stay in a Days Inn again if this is representative.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor which isn't my favourite from a security point of view but it was...
Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This was a last minute booking to get out of our house whilst building work was going on. The room had all we needed and the staff were particularly friendly and helpful:)
My only problem was the musty smell that was in the room on arrival, it smelt like stale smoke! Nothing a room freshner didn't cure, but would have preferred not to purchase it myself.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Pembrokeshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I booked this purely on location and that they have civilised rooms that you can smoke in, due to the need to do Christmas shopping - a deadly chore at best. I checked in with a very pleasant lady and settled down to write my lists. Because of severe frost my asthma kicked in, oh joy, my chest is like a weather vane. The first night I had to leave the hotel because of the unstoppable coughing, - I did not want to disturb the other guests. I drove around and returned at 4am. The second night, I just went down to the lobby and the very understanding night porter let me use an electric socket for my nebulizer. It is a little noisy and I was concerned that the vibrating noise would wake the others. Ten minutes later normal breathing resumed. Road layout was a bit confusing for me, but I got to where I needed to be eventually. The hotel does exactly what it purports to be - a basic budget place to stay for short periods of time at an excellent price. My room was clean and the bed comfy. The Sarn services are somewhat limited, with only toilets in the wee small hours, a Burger King which opens at 10am, Starbucks - very nice at a price, and a WH Smith. The Designer outlet is good for shopping, and the location is also good to get to Cardiff if the whim so desires. I will be returning in future.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are up stairs, no lifts.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
East Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stains on the hotel carpets everywhere ,in the entrance hall, on the stairs, on the room floor.Very cheap quality materials to built this hotel.Looks like they use furniture and materials from an older hotel.It is dirty all over,can't find words to describe it.We found a sticky sweet on the top of the dresser! In front of the TV.Avoid it if you can.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bridgend hotels

Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed here on a friday, and saturday night in November.
Hotel is situated down a short road inside Sarn services next to junction 36 of the M4.
On arrival we were greeted warmly and checked in quickly. Rooms are of a good size with comfortable beds. Large size flat screen TV with the usual channels. Bathroom has an actual bath with a shower over!! It's always nice to have a choice! Tea & coffee included etc.
Room was warm, quiet, and comfortable.
Plus points are;
Great location tucked away in a quiet corner of a service station. Friendly & professional staff. Price & value. Easy to find with good road links.
Not so good points;
Possibly ready for a refit? Didn't bother me in the least, but another guest did complain that their curtains were faded in their room....
I'd happily stay here again, especially with the great staff.
Can't comment on the hotel breakfast, as we ate elsewhere.
Other recent reviews of this property say it's dirty, and smelly - I must say that i had read these reviews before staying here, and had concerns. Room smelt fresh and all was clean.

Room Tip: Vehicle registration needed by desk to prevent parking fine.
HULL EAST YORKSHIRE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

stayed two nights visiting family oct 5th and 6th,worse hotel we have ever stayed in.room smelt musty,carpets in room and lobby filthy,yes it was cheap but you i expected it to be clean,my husband went to use a plastic cup from the bathroom which had bleach in,(could have been dangerous if used by a child)and we were in a family room.when i complained on the saturday night the receptionist was very helpful and said she would pass this onto the manager on monday morning.when i spoke to the manager on monday she was totally unhelpful,needless to say we will never use this hotel again,and i would urge anyone thinking of booking to find an alternative.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgend
Premier Inn Bridgend Central Hotel
Premier Inn Bridgend (M4, J35) Hotel
The Brentwood Hotel
The Brentwood Hotel
#3 of 6 in Porthcawl

Been to Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4? Share your experiences!