I'd booked this "hotel" as was visiting my sister in Bridgend. It was cheapest option, so I didn't have high expectations but I honestly think staying here was detrimental to my health and that is no exaggeration.
As was only staying for one night, I was happy to book a budget hotel and know it was only a bed for the night. I booked a family room, as was three adults and one child. The bed configuration was one double and a queen sized pull out sofa bed, which was fine.
When we arrived, we had a nice friendly welcome and was pleasantly surprised with the clean and spacious lobby (after reading terrible reviews on Trip Advisor.) There is a vending machine too- so you can stck up on bottled water. We were allocated our room on first floor. As we made our way to the room (117), we passed a number of rooms before getting to a connecting door- once passing through this door, the whole coridoor was full of stale smoke. We'd enterered the smoking room part of the hotel. It transpires that all the family rooms are smoking rooms.
A smoking room is one thing, but a room that you struggle to breath in is quite another. The stench hit us immediately, and my nephew who has asthma was instantly overcome with shortness of breath.
The smell, if I had to describe it was of in no uncertain terms, atrocious! Almost like someone had been smoking cigars or a pipe in there continuously for a month and the windows never opened.
We made a complaint at reception who advised that all family rooms are smoking, and that as the hotel was full we could not be moved. I checked my booking confirmation, ready to say that we hadn't been notified- but I saw in the smallprint that it did say family rooms were smoking- I hadn't seen this.
We had no choice but to leave room for the evening, and kept windows wide open- whilst we were out we bought a can of Febreeze and two candles. When we returned, the fresh air made no difference to the smell. We filled the room with air freshner, and lit the candles- but obviously had to extingish these when we went to sleep. Although the solvent was overwhelming, it was much better than the smell of cigarettes. We all spent the night coughing, and heavy breathing. Throughout the night we had to put our heads under the cover to avoid the choking smell (honestly, this is no exaggeration)- thankfully the bedding was clean. My nephew had to use his inhaller throughout the night.
When we woke up, we all smelt of cigarettes but no-one wanted to shower as the shower was flithy- we couldn't get out of here quick enough.
Upon checking out, I explained that we were unhappy to which the receptionist replied "I wouldn't want to stay in one of those rooms either. Sorry about that, but we'll be removing these rooms next year"....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just off the M4 motorway, on the edge of Bridgend, the hotel offers free parking and free Wi-Fi. Bedrooms have deluxe Hypnos beds and 22-inch LCD flat-screen TVs with up to 100 channels. The Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff makes a great stop-off point whether you are visiting Cardiff or Swansea, or travelling to anywhere in the South Wales area or even Ireland. The hotel offers spacious and comfortable over-size rooms at great-value rates. All rooms have en suite bath and shower facilities. Next to the hotel are Burger King and a Coffee Primo lounge, along with cash machines and a Game Zone. The McArthur Glen designer shopping outlet is also adjacent to the hotel. The hotel offers free parking and is AA 'Approved and AA Pet Friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Superbreak UK, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff Hotel Bridgend
- Bridgend Days Inn
- Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4 Wales