“Excellent stay again!!”

The Wyndham Arms
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bridgend
“Excellent stay again!!”
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Another enjoyable stay thanks to the lovely Lisa and her staff. Nothing is to much trouble and would highly recommend if ur looking for a relaxing place to stay. Stayed for 3 weeks this visit and ave been staying at the Wyndham on and off for the past 7 years and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Excellent rooms and excellent staff = excellent stay. Thanks again Lisa. See u soon.x

• Stayed October 2013
lisa d, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review, it is always nice to hear from our regulars! We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon. From Lisa and all the staff at The Wyndham Arms Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Pencoed
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

As I live very close to Bridgend town centre I have not had the need to actually stay at this hotel. However we regularly visit on a Saturday morning and have breakfast. I usually just have a coffee and hubby has the full cooked breakfast which he always enjoys. This particular Saturday I decided to have something to eat and chose the Eggs Benedict ....it was delicious the eggs were cooked to perfection and there were very generous slices of ham on the toasted muffins. The staff are always polite here and it's also very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Tripluen
lisa d, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We're very pleased to hear you visit regularly and are always satisfied. Thank you on behalf of myself and all the staff here at the Wyndham Arms for taking the time out to write the review and we look forward to your future visits.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed here with my elderly parents just for one night. I'd booked a single and a double, both were airless boxrooms on the top floor, and both only had skylights in the ceiling, no windows, and little natural light. The skylight had to stay open as it was one of the hottest nights of the year (24th July). Unfortunately it rained heavily while we were at dinner and my parents ended up sleeping in a wet bed as the skylight was directly above the bed. The lift ('for disabled and loading only') was locked and unusable and so they also had to climb up four sets of stairs to reach their room. I thought I'd give the 'Wetherlodge' a try as it was perfectly located and very reasonably priced, and I knew that having the bar and restaurant attached would be convenient, however I was disappointed and a little embarrassed by the experience.

Room Tip: As for a room with windows instead of skylights, and ask to be on a lower floor if you're not go...
lisa d, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay on this occasion; it is always disheartening to us as a team to hear that a guest has been disappointed by their stay, although I feel it only fair that we may rectify, or attempt to rectify some of the issues raised. Firstly may I comment on the rooms, some of our rooms, as you have stated do indeed only have a skylight for light and air, and during the summer months this can mean that some rooms get very warm, however we do provide fans in all our rooms and had you commented on the temperature of your room at the time one of our reception team would have been more than happy to accommodate you with extra fans, or had the option been available moved you to an alternative room.

Secondly with regards to the bed being wet due to rain, as I’m sure you understand weather conditions are out of our control and we are sorry to hear that due to a sudden downpour that your parents bed was made wet, however this was only mentioned on check out, had the issue been raised earlier one of our reception team would have immediately changed the bedding or moved your parents to an alternative room.

The issue with the lift has also left me slightly puzzled as our lift is accessible 24 hours to all guests, and is certainly not reserved for the disabled and loading only. We are more than happy for any of our guests to use the lift, and had you put in your booking notes, or made a note at the time of check in that your parents were not particularly good with stairs, or that they would have preferred a room on a lower level we would have been more than happy to accommodate your needs.

Again I would like to reiterate that I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay on this occasion, however I feel many of the issues you have raised could have been easily rectified had you raised the issue with a staff member, with this in mind we hope that should you stay with us again you will have a more pleasant experience.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Wetherspoons have done a good job in refurbishing and decorating this old 18th century court house in the centre of Bridgend. The hotel has an Authurian theme running through it and our room had some great paintings from school children depicting dragons and knights.

This was my first experience of staying in a Wetherspoons hotel and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised. In some ways, it reminded me a little of one of Premier Inn's older style hotels, but without the purple corporate overthrows and curtains - the Wyndham is much more tastefully done.

We stayed in a family room that was immaculately clean, comfortable and fairly spacious. A king size bed (2 x 3 foot beds joined) and a pull out bed settee provided decent sleeping space. The pillows were amongst the most comfortable I have ever experienced!

The staff, both in the hotel and bar, were all welcoming and helpful and immediately made us feel at home.

As with all Wetherspoons there is an emphasis on the supply of local ales - I was delighted to be able to sample the fabulous beer from the Kite Brewery of Carmarthen - and the food was surprisingly good (Lamb Cawl is recommended!) and reasonably priced.

The following are not criticisms of the hotel, but some observations that may be helpful to those staying, particularly with young families:

* Children are permitted in the bar area but must vacate by 9pm. A sensible policy in my opinion.
* Car parking is easily accessible offsite, if you know where to go. The nearest car park is just a couple of minutes walk away, across the bridge to the Embassy Car Park. Overnight tickets can be purchased from the shop at the entrance to the car park (£2 at the time of writing). The Rhiw, at the other end of Angel Street, only accepts coins and is more expensive.
* If you do park at the Embassy on a Saturday night, park to the right as an open air market is held on the other side on Sunday morning.
* Be aware that this hotel is located in the middle of a town and, as with any built up area, this can result in external noise. We found the hotel to be extremely quiet (no noticeable noise from other guests or even the bar), but we did experience some rowdy behaviour from a few idiots towards closing time. This was on a Saturday night, so I would guess that this is less likely to happen mid week.

All in all, a great stay. Thanks to all at the Wyndham. If we have plans to return to Bridgend for an overnight stay, we will certainly return.

1 Thank The_Tripmeister555
Lisa d, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
May I firstly begin by saying what a lovely review, and thank you on behalf of myself and all the staff here at the Wyndham Arms for taking the time out to write the review, it really does mean a lot to us. It is always very exciting and encouraging hearing from our guests especially those, like yourselves, who have had a pleasant stay with us. As a hotel we are extremely proud of our room quality and cleanliness, as well as our food & drink pricing and quality, and it is lovely to see that you have also noticed these aspects. May I also say thank you for your compliments regarding our staff, we as a team work extremely hard to ensure all our guests are made to feel welcome and comfortable, and we are glad that this attributed to your stay.
Once again may I say a big thank you from all of us here at the Wyndham Arms and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Caterham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Didn't realise that Wetherspoons did hotels until searching for somewhere to book a last minute weekend away and so glad we found this little gem. We can't fault anything about our stay, the staff were very polite and couldn't do enough for you esp Lisa and everywhere was so clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. We went on the hottest weekend of the year so far and were provided with 2 fans to keep cool which was great. We would certainly recommend this hotel and intend to go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon F
Lisa d, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
On behalf of myself and all the staff can I firstly say many thanks for taking the time out to give such a lovely review, secondly we are all so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Many people don’t know that Wetherspoons offer accommodation, when in fact we have 23 hotels with more opening in the future, we like to think of ourselves as providing high class accommodation at customer friendly prices, and comments such as the ones made by yourself make us feel like we have achieved this. Not only is it lovely to hear that you found the hotel comfortable and clean, but it is also wonderful when guests take the time to comment on our friendly staff, these comments provide the staff with the passion to continue with their first class customer service! Thank you again for this lovely comment and we can’t wait to welcome you through our doors again!
Nottingham
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had a very warm welcome from the reception lady, who was chatty and friendly and escorted us to the room with a suitcase in each hand. Nothing was too much trouble it was like meeting an old friend.
we used the bar and restaurant , the meals were really good value and they have themed meals , we were fortunate to enjoy the Tuesday Steak club and the start of the Cider festival where they went to great lengths to create a good atmosphere with staff scarecrows and country bumpkins!
We enjoyed the convenience of being central and was pleasantly surprised that there was no noise whatsoever .
The room had everything we needed, the fan was an added bonus, clean , spacious and comfy chair and they even supplied a hospitality tray (not usually found when they sell food and drink in a hotel)
we were made to feel very welcome and i hope they realise what a treasure the lady is on reception who allowed us to leave our cases there as we were catching a late train.
we had 2 breakfasts large coffee and large fresh orange for less than £8..
we will be back!!! and thank you .

Lisa d, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
What a kind and honest review, thank you very much. It is always wonderful to hear when our customers have enjoyed their stay with us, and we are pleased to hear that not only did the clean and comfortable accommodation makes your stay worth while, but also that our friendly staff added to your experience. Here at the Wyndham Arms we like to think of our guests as part of the family, and having such a small amount of staff within the hotel allows a truly homely experience for all our guests. Thank you also for your comments regarding cleanliness and the overall room quality, the housekeepers are often never seen and it is always a good boost for them to receive compliments about cleanliness.
We are glad that you enjoyed our Cider Festival antics, we like to make the most of any occasion, we are also pleased that you enjoyed your meals. We like to think of our food much like our rooms; high quality and low cost to the customers.
The noise is also a key issue which I am so pleased you commented on, being in the town centre and above a pub many people may assume that the hotel will be very noisy, although in fact it is not, and it is so reassuring to hear this from one of our guests! From all of us here at the Wyndham Arms, many thanks for your kind words and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We popped in for dinner one evening, found it was curry night so thought we'd take advantage of that. I had the lamb rogan josh - quite spicy but flavourless and it tasted as though the lamb had been cooked for a week. My partner had the chickpea and spinach curry which he did enjoy. Naan bread was not very nice at all. We ordered a starter to share and for some reason the starter and mains came together but I did think about it quick enough to say that we obviously wanted the starter before the mains. Certainly wouldn't return there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaisyCole
Lisa d, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
We are sorry that you found aspects of your meals were not to the standards you would expect on this occassion, although I feel I must point out that we very rarely recieve complaints regarding our food and can only assume that this was a once off. All our meals are prepared fresh to order and our kitchen staff are highly trained, and again we can only assume that the problems with your meal were isolated and will not happen again. We understand that as with anything food is primarily down to an individuals taste and any negative experience can be off putting for future meals etc, although we would be very gratefull if you would consider giving us a second chance, in order that we can prove to you that our meals generally are of very high quality and that we rarely recieve complaints.
Once again may I appologise on behalf of myself and the staff for your negative experience and we really do hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgend
Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa
The Great House Hotel
The Great House Hotel
#5 of 8 in Bridgend
Travelodge Bridgend Pencoed

Been to The Wyndham Arms? Share your experiences!