Open today: 09:30 - 12:30, 13:30 - 17:00

from US$95.48
from US$96.54
from US$117.95
1,867 results
All reviews leaning tower the dragon audio guide well worth a visit feed the ducks egg cheese walk around free entry across the road car park caerphilly cheese moat castle grounds town rooms ruins
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 June 2015

I don't think that many people realise this bit Caerphilly Castle is the second largest in Great Britain after Windsor Castle. We never realised this until we went. This is a castle worth going to and there are of course people who travel quite a way to see this lovely castle. The moat around it is interesting and the grounds are good for walking around. Gift shop inside and in a good location to take a walk into the town, whcih is right by the castle but not near enough to obstruct any views of it. We were pleasantly surprised. Worth it to go to Caerphilly, a nice place and of course only a train ride away from Cardiff!

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed 7 June 2015

It does not seem to have made much effort to encourage visitors, we went down on a special event , that was ok but only ok. The Castle itself is superb but they could do so much more to bring it back to life.

Date of experience: February 2015
1  Thank christopherp_11
Reviewed 5 June 2015

The castle is huge and its setting, surrounded by water, magnificent. Once inside, and armed with my father's old Min of Works guide, it was extremely interesting -without the guide, there would have been insufficient signage or other info on the history to enable us to get the best out of it. it is free to enter for CADW and second year EH members.

However, and this is a big however, it is a tidy step round from the CADW signposted fee paying(non refundable for members which is outrageous) car park for us oldies and there is no indication of how far it is to the entrance and you have to pay for the car park time in advance.... So, we paid for an hour, spent an anxious twenty minutes hobbling to the entrance with admittedly good views of the castle across the moats as we went, rushed through as much of the place as we could in the next 20 mins and then set off back to the car. Rather poor management on CADW's part, we thought, and we didn't enjoy the visit as much as we should have, owing to the anxiety.

When I was a teenager, growing up in Wales, hence father's Min of Works guide, we used to arrive by train and that, as I remember was easy access, there are also plenty of buses to Caerphilly.

But if you are aware of the pitfalls I mention, and learn from our mistakes, it is a stunning place to visit. Plenty of interest to children as well as adults: toilets, shop etc OK, nothing special.

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank GillyPNorthEastCoast
Reviewed 4 June 2015

I believe it's the Second largest castle in the UK with only Windsor being bigger, it cover some 1.2 hectares. It's use of water for defence is a notable feature.

Date of experience: August 2014
Reviewed 3 June 2015

I was born in this valley,and passed this castle every day of my working life,without really seeing it.After some 35 years away,I'm back and cannot believe just how magnificent it is.It really is breathtaking in it's grandeur. What a wonderful site to have right in the centre of town.

Date of experience: June 2015