“Brilliant, friendly, helpful staff :)”

The River House Backpackers
“Brilliant, friendly, helpful staff :)”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Excellent hostel, very clean, friendly staff and in an excellent location. If you check in early enough you can get an evening meal for just £1, bargain! and there was an extensive choice for breakfast.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sarah P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights at a weekend. It has a real homely feel. Breakfast was great and everywhere was really clean and tidy. One of the cleanest hostels I've stayed in. We had a private room which was compact but suited our needs. Would have liked some hooks in the room just to hang up coats etc and paper towels in the bathrooms would have been good. Appreciated the free tea and coffee throughout the day and the helpful staff. Would definitely return if I'm in the area again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hyly20
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed In The River House for three nights last weekend. First impressions are important and I was given a warm welcome by Charlie at reception. Rooms are spotless and the beds are comfortable and there are individual lockers to secure your valuables. There really is nothing bad to say about The River House. The breakfast is fantastic and on Monday evening we were offered a lovely meal of pasta, bolognaise, salad and garlic bread for £1.00 Plenty of other hostels should take a leaf out of their book. Well done guys, keep up the good work, I will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bernie807
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed here for one night for an interview, but wish I could have stayed longer. The location was brilliant for me (about 10 mins walk from the national museum, 6 mins to Cardiff Castle and 5 mins to the town centre) in a quiet but easily accessible location. Cardiff central is about 10 mins walk & it was really easy to find. The view from my room was of the millennium stadium and the river, which I quite liked. I stayed in room 3 and it had lovely big windows which let lots of natural light in until the evening.

The hostel itself is the best hostel I have ever stayed in, and actually beats some of the hotels I have visited too. I felt almost as if I was staying in someone's house. The kitchen was fully equipped and I enjoyed the freedom of cooking my own food and making tea and coffee whenever I liked. It had a lovely conservatory that looked on to an adorable courtyard, that everyone sat in to eat their meals in the evening. It was a really homely atmosphere with us all from different parts of the world gathered together eating and sharing food, chatting away. There was a lovely little living room too which was decorated fantastically and had a great choice of DVDs & books.

Abi & Charlie were such lovely owners. They seemed to really care about the guests and even made us all an apple pie for free to share in the evening. It was impeccably clean, and the showers were really good- not cubicles at all. Charlie booked me a taxi in the morning and ensured I got away safety.

The breakfast was really good - in my opinion. All spread out in the kitchen with a good quality stuff and it really set me up for the day.

If I had to complain about anything I would say that the beds were too soft. I have a bad back and it often hurts if beds aren't hard enough but I slept well enough!

100% would stay again, 100% recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ImogenS93
Stanford, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The River House was honestly one of the best hostels that I have ever stayed in. Not only was it convenient (5 minute walk from the train/bus station), but it was above and beyond. The staff was friendly. The facilities were extensive and adorable (couch room, outdoor garden, etc). The breakfast was incredible!! The staff accommodated by gluten allergy and bought be gluten-free bread when I asked ahead of time!! My only complaint would be that there weren't enough bathroom facilities. That being said, the bathrooms were incredibly clean and the showers were amazing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank kierstyn_smith
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had two nights here whilst competing at the National Water Sports Centre in Cardiff. Due to our early start for the competition, we asked if breakfast could be made available form 6am. The staff were amazing as the breakfast was not only there, but just incredible! An amazing choice of really good quality food and drink. We were over the moon! The breakfast is the best I've ever seen at any hotel, let alone backpackers. The house was lovely, really nice living room, gorgeous kitchen and a decent number of showers and toilets throughout. The rooms were on the small side, but perfectly adequate with enough storage space and all we needed. Really comfy beds and a nice peaceful place to stay. We would definitely stay again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The hostel is in a good place, near the train station, everything is clean and the owners are very good, always available for any request, the service overall is excellent. The hostel is very complete, you got tv, some games and breakfast, such as I said is the best hostel I've ever been, you got everything that you need, is very comfortable. I'm looking forward to stay with them again.

• Stayed March 2014