“Best breakfast around”

The River House Backpackers
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Best breakfast around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've stayed in the hostel next door and found it very loud and a bit too party atmosphere for my liking. I was really pleased to see that the River House attracts a slightly older and bit less rambunctious crowd. I had no problem with noise the whole weekend. Facilities are good, bathrooms are excellently clean, and the bed was pretty comfortable. There is room for luggage in the rooms and there are lockers and pretty much everything you need is available to borrow from reception. And free wifi everywhere! But breakfast (included) is fantastic. Also, you can't go wrong with the location, right near the bus/train station.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

The best hostel I stayed at in all of Europe. This hostel has small rooms but it's a homely atmosphere it's all ok. The breakfast is amassing, and I loved the back yard. To the staff Keep up the good vibe, you make it perfect .

• Stayed June 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I'm kind of a frequent hostel user, as every place I go 99% of times I stay in a Hostel... I've travel a lot and I can tell you is the best hostel i've ever been. You pay for a hostel, but seems like u r staying in a 5***** Hotel. BREAKFAST FEST. Everthing clean and tidy. I will totally recomend this hostel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Llanelli, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

If, like me, you had never stayed in a hostel in your life, please read on. I had concerns before staying at one but this experience has completely changed my mindset.

Having only ever stayed at hotels in the past, I was unsure what to expect but ALL of the reviews on here are spot on. There is a reason why this hostel has been voted as the best in the UK since 2008 and rightly so.

I am from South Wales anyway and needed somewhere more convenient to stay for a week long work placement in Cardiff.

As soon as I arrived, I unpacked and realised what a relaxed environment it was, I felt like I was at home but with loads of strangers from all over the world, many of whom are now great friends after spending time together socialising, watching tv, eating, drinking and exploring Cardiff on my nights off.

Abi and Charlie do fantastic free dessert nights as well as £1 dinners (I had spag bol one night and curry the other night) which saves you cooking.

The free morning breakfast is also amazing - four different types of juice, bread. cereal, yoghurt as well as tea and coffee. I have never experienced such hospitality in my life.

Even though I lived an hour and a half down the road, I genuinely felt like I was on holiday and my experience was so great I felt that the Trip Advisor community had to know.

Diolch Abi and Charlie for being so hospitable and completely opening my mind to the 'hostel world'. I will definitely be back next time I need to stay in Cardiff and I would highly recommend any other traveller to do the same.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ChrisFromWales
Woonona, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Best hotel I have stayed in! The breakfast was awesome. They have free dessert nights and one
Pound dinner nights. It's a great place to meet people to go have a drink with. They have very comfortable rooms as well. The main street, castle and museum are all a short walk away.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kristen I
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Would highly recommend,
It is extremely clean, tidy, well presented,
Great value for money, great breakfast, cheap evening meals etc...
I would be happy to stay again.
A short walk from the train station, town etc.
oh and a washing machine too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Saint Albert, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I was amazed at how great this place is! The facilities are great, and the staff are extremely kind/helpful. The breakfast in the morning was really nice! The riverhouse feels like home! Thanks for a great stay, definitely one of the best, highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2014