“Fantastic hostel”
Review of The River House

The River House
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hostel has heaps of great qualities - exceptionally clean, well organised, lovely breakfast with plenty of options, £1 dinners and free desserts! The £1 dinners are offered a few nights a week, as are the free desserts. We didn't get to partake in the dessert as it is served at 7pm which was too early for us. The £1 dinner was a yummy home cooked chicken curry and kudos to the owners who would clearly make a loss on this! Get in early as they can only prepare enough for 20 people max. The breakfast included yoghurt, tinned fruits, a variety of cereals, toast and heaps of different spreads, croissants and welsh cakes (my new fave!). The only downside was the hot bedroom meant we had to have our window open so noisy drunks out the front disturbed our sleep on both nights. Not really the hostels fault! Oh and there was a mix up with our deposit for our locks in terms of what I believed I had paid (£20) what I was reimbursed (£10). Learning experience for me - always get a receipt!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The River House was the first hostel ever that we stayed at and we totally enjoyed our stay!
The atmosphere at the hostel was generally amazing, the owners were really welcoming and it felt very homely. The breakfast was awesome, it was nearly like in a hotel, the bathrooms were nice and clean and the location couldn't have been better. Situated directly next to the river, it is in walking distance from the centre, so you can easily go and explore. It also was reasonably close to the ''Megabus'' stop, so you can easily travel by bus.
What we found really helpful was the possibility to drop off our luggage at the hostel several hours before check-in and also leave it after check-out until the evening.
A special thing about this hostel is that you get a free treat in the evening, e.g. ice cream or cider and snacks. This is a great opportunity to get to know the other guests and we always had a great time in the evening!

We couldn't have wished for a better first experience with hostels and we will recommend it to anyone who is going to Cardiff!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My sister and I enjoyed a two night stay at the River House in June. The owners were friendly and always available to help guests. It is obvious that they take pride in their business because this was the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed at. There is a relaxed atmosphere with plenty of space to hang out with fellow travelers or enjoy the free Internet. The breakfast was fresh and offered plenty to eat. I highly recommend River House Backpackers to anyone traveling to Cardiff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I had mixed feelings about this hostel when I booked but on arrival my doubts were cleared. I enjoyed every bit of my stay and the breakfast too ): . The rooms were small but that wasn't a problem because i spent minimal time there. The owners were so nice and warm too. I will recommend this to anyone visiting Cardiff any day any time!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground and 1st floor are easier to access. (Climbing the stairs to the 2nd floor was so...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hostel is located near the trainstation, right at the river. The atmosphere is very relaxed and the rooms are clean. Coming back to the hostel felt like home. Being on the road for a few weeks to call a hostel home is the biggest compliment I can give. Cheers for the hospitality and the lovely owners who are in it with their heart and soul.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was one of the best hostels I stayed at during my trip through the UK. The rooms were a little small but you don't spend much time in them anyway so it wasn't a problem. Everything was clean, the water was nice and hot (and I didn't have to wait to use the shower!), the people were extremely helpful, and breakfast was amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and would recommend it to any friends traveling that way.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Great experience in this hostel.
As said, maxim cleaning, comfortable place and good atmosphere. Nothing missing in this hostel: relax area, garden, kitchen at disposition(you can also cook for yourself),hearty breakfast and some dinner organized.
The owners are always friendly and at disposition.
Great position, short walk distance to the center.
Highly recommended!!