The River House
Grand Hotel(Cardiff)
ML Lodge(Cardiff)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbed dormcommon roomhouse backpackersfree pizzafantastic hostelprivate twin roomapple pie and ice creamfree breakfast isyogurtwelsh cakesmillennium stadiumbreakfast was amazingwell equipped kitchentrain and bus stationcardiff castlecommon areascity centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I was visiting Cardiff for the recent Doctor Who red carpet event and when booking somewhere to stay, I came across the River House Hostel. I am so glad I did. I may have spent less than 24 hours there but I had a fantastic time there.

On arrival I had things to do so they happily looked after my case until I could get back and get checked in. They also looked after my case for me when I checked out and went to the event I needed to go to, until I came back and picked it up.

The hostel was clean, fresh and the staff were brilliant. The bathrooms were constantly clean. Hats off to Abi and Charlie (and the rest of the staff) for fantastic service.

When I arrived in Cardiff it was hot and sunny and as such they were offering free ice cream that evening which I sadly couldn't take them up on as I had other arrangements but I got to have the breakfast early the next morning and it was just what I needed. I really wish I could have stayed longer to make more use of the facilities on offer but I will definitely be back and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This River House Hostel is well and truly the best hostel I have stayed in. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms, bathrooms and all other facilities were kept clean and very well organised. It is only a 5 minute walk to the main strip in Cardiff and maximum 10 minute walk to Cardiff castle. It was a very relaxed and homely hostel to stay. They have loads of options for meals. Every night they do either a meal for one pound, or dessert for free. And their breakfast was fantastic with loads of different options and set out in an organised manner. The next time I come to Cardiff this will without a doubt be my first option of places to stay. Everything about this place was perfect.....

Room Tip: Any room is perfect to stay at....
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff
Quirky hostel
Fantastic breakfast
Clean facilities

If you are looking for a hostel in cardiff this is the place to stay. So relaxed and friendly you can't go wrong with it.

With coffee and tea and a good full kitchen. Hot showers and a games room full of board games and dvds the place is perfect.

Ideally located literally minutes from the city centre with a quirky little garden and real sense of community the minute you arrive.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hostel has heaps of great qualities - exceptionally clean, well organised, lovely breakfast with plenty of options, £1 dinners and free desserts! The £1 dinners are offered a few nights a week, as are the free desserts. We didn't get to partake in the dessert as it is served at 7pm which was too early for us. The £1 dinner was a yummy home cooked chicken curry and kudos to the owners who would clearly make a loss on this! Get in early as they can only prepare enough for 20 people max. The breakfast included yoghurt, tinned fruits, a variety of cereals, toast and heaps of different spreads, croissants and welsh cakes (my new fave!). The only downside was the hot bedroom meant we had to have our window open so noisy drunks out the front disturbed our sleep on both nights. Not really the hostels fault! Oh and there was a mix up with our deposit for our locks in terms of what I believed I had paid (£20) what I was reimbursed (£10). Learning experience for me - always get a receipt!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The River House was the first hostel ever that we stayed at and we totally enjoyed our stay!
The atmosphere at the hostel was generally amazing, the owners were really welcoming and it felt very homely. The breakfast was awesome, it was nearly like in a hotel, the bathrooms were nice and clean and the location couldn't have been better. Situated directly next to the river, it is in walking distance from the centre, so you can easily go and explore. It also was reasonably close to the ''Megabus'' stop, so you can easily travel by bus.
What we found really helpful was the possibility to drop off our luggage at the hostel several hours before check-in and also leave it after check-out until the evening.
A special thing about this hostel is that you get a free treat in the evening, e.g. ice cream or cider and snacks. This is a great opportunity to get to know the other guests and we always had a great time in the evening!

We couldn't have wished for a better first experience with hostels and we will recommend it to anyone who is going to Cardiff!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends