“Special place”
Review of The River House

The River House
“Special place”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

No wonder this place gets such fantastic reviews. It's cheap, it's clean, there are more than enough toilets & showers (and they're all always clean) etc., but I think this is more than a simple hostel. It has a very familiar atmosphere. The owner takes care of you, shows you around, there's a kitchen where she cooks dinner you can get for £1, the guests eat together, there's a nice little garden etc. It's a very calm and comfy place. The location is great as well, it's only a 5-minute walk from the train station and the city center.
The only downside is that the 6-bed dorms are somewhat small and the upper beds don't have a socket.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Thai first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Having travelled worldwide in hostels this was my first UK hostel and it was a great experience. Excellent location, friendly staff, clean rooms, shared bathrooms but never a queue and everyone was respectful and kept them clean. Breakfast was a bonus as was the free tea and coffee and we had free cheesecake. The only negative, and this is not the owners fault, but there are building works next door and they started at 7,30 so if you are in a back room it was very noisy. Otherwise a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Cork
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights in June with 2 friends to go on the Gavin and Stacey Tour. The location of the hostel is brilliant. We were looking at millenium stadium from our room. We rented out a four bed dorm. The room was very clean and spacious. There was plenty of locker space. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom facilities were immaculate and private. The train station was in ten minute walking distance aswell as Cardiff city centre. The staff were friendly and accommodating. I don't think you would get a hotel to meet the high standards for the same price. We had an amazing stay and would recommend the hostel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Oh man I only have two nights here but I wish I had more. Its so nice and the staff is easily the most helpful and kind I've ever experienced. They have cider nights and snacks and the facilities are fantastic.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I was visiting Cardiff for the recent Doctor Who red carpet event and when booking somewhere to stay, I came across the River House Hostel. I am so glad I did. I may have spent less than 24 hours there but I had a fantastic time there.

On arrival I had things to do so they happily looked after my case until I could get back and get checked in. They also looked after my case for me when I checked out and went to the event I needed to go to, until I came back and picked it up.

The hostel was clean, fresh and the staff were brilliant. The bathrooms were constantly clean. Hats off to Abi and Charlie (and the rest of the staff) for fantastic service.

When I arrived in Cardiff it was hot and sunny and as such they were offering free ice cream that evening which I sadly couldn't take them up on as I had other arrangements but I got to have the breakfast early the next morning and it was just what I needed. I really wish I could have stayed longer to make more use of the facilities on offer but I will definitely be back and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This River House Hostel is well and truly the best hostel I have stayed in. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms, bathrooms and all other facilities were kept clean and very well organised. It is only a 5 minute walk to the main strip in Cardiff and maximum 10 minute walk to Cardiff castle. It was a very relaxed and homely hostel to stay. They have loads of options for meals. Every night they do either a meal for one pound, or dessert for free. And their breakfast was fantastic with loads of different options and set out in an organised manner. The next time I come to Cardiff this will without a doubt be my first option of places to stay. Everything about this place was perfect.....

Room Tip: Any room is perfect to stay at....