“Gone Downhill”

Good for: Child-friendly
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Gone Downhill”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I often rely on tripadvisor for reviews, and as a new years resolution have decided to contribute.
I've been a regular customer of Ichibans since it first opened as I try to support independent restauraters within Cardiff. Sadly with Ichiban, the prices continue to go up and the quality down.
I'm no gastronome, but my yaki soba was bland at best.. the noodles bloated and akin to overcooked spaghetti. What chicken there was tasted cheap and like it had been precooked and added to the noodles rather than cooked fresh. My girlfriends ramen wasn't a lot better than a packet of supernoodles. I could have saved myself some cash and cooked tastier noodles at home.
On the service front, I wasn't asked how my meal was.. so maybe they can found out here.
Amazingly, this place is still super busy. Clearly, some people are deluded.. or maybe sticking to the sushi, which you can't really go wrong with. Best of luck to the business and future customers.. but me and Ichiban are done. There are better options.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Aramore

Fleet, United Kingdom
“Mobo tofu rocks”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

As regular visitors to this place, we recommend the mobo tofu and their chahan rice is well made
Been to their Albany Road establishment too, but we frequent this location more often due to the proximity to Cardiff City Stadium

As with most Japanese restaurants in the UK at the moment, not actually run or managed by Japanese, but not too far off from authenticity in its taste
Bookings recommended on Sat night

Visited January 2014
“January Feast”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was my daughter and I`s second visit . Last time we had sushi which was very good but we noticed everyone including several Japanese groups were eating the set lunches ! So plans were made that we would visit again soon. So today was the day! My daughter had the Chicken Katsu Curry and I had the Chicken Teriyaki both came with extras , salad miso soup etc. Both were delicious. The service was good and it was great value £21.50 for two set lunches, one portion of salmon nigiri , a coke and hot tea . Will definitely go again.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Maria W
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Three Japanese students took me here when we were in Cardiff. I just ordered soup (the special Japanese type with noodles in it) and was surprised at how filling it was. The food wasn't very expensive, the restaurant was very clean and the service was good.

• Visited May 2013
Wales
“Best sushi in Cardiff”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Been coming back for years. Simply the best sushi in cardiff, and I've not had much better elsewhere in the UK.

• Visited November 2013