“Slipping”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I have been in this restaurant over 5 times in the last two years.
Service is still reasonably good in this branch (terrible in Roath,
where I live!)

I always have the Sashimi dish, but the price has gone up twice,
whilst they have cut back on the quality by reducing the number
of fish, eliminating the best.

1  Thank David L
There are newer reviews for Ichiban

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Visited Ichiban for the first time at lunchtime. Characterful small restaurant, warm and friendly greeting from the staff. Very extensive choice but went for something off the set lunch menu - all choices £7.50. Two trays full of well presented food arrived quite quickly and disappeared almost as quickly. Neither of us could fault it. Had what was effectively an interesting, filling and tasty 2 course lunch for 2 with a large bottle of mineral water for just over £18. Bargain!

Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Been to Ichiban many times, the food and service is always excellent. There's also a very wide choice, and lots of different types of menus to choose from. Not cheap, but definitely value for money.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I often rely on tripadvisor for reviews, and as a new years resolution have decided to contribute.
I've been a regular customer of Ichibans since it first opened as I try to support independent restauraters within Cardiff. Sadly with Ichiban, the prices continue to go up and the quality down.
I'm no gastronome, but my yaki soba was bland at best.. the noodles bloated and akin to overcooked spaghetti. What chicken there was tasted cheap and like it had been precooked and added to the noodles rather than cooked fresh. My girlfriends ramen wasn't a lot better than a packet of supernoodles. I could have saved myself some cash and cooked tastier noodles at home.
On the service front, I wasn't asked how my meal was.. so maybe they can found out here.
Amazingly, this place is still super busy. Clearly, some people are deluded.. or maybe sticking to the sushi, which you can't really go wrong with. Best of luck to the business and future customers.. but me and Ichiban are done. There are better options.

2  Thank Aramore
Reviewed 12 January 2014

As regular visitors to this place, we recommend the mobo tofu and their chahan rice is well made
Been to their Albany Road establishment too, but we frequent this location more often due to the proximity to Cardiff City Stadium

As with most Japanese restaurants in the UK at the moment, not actually run or managed by Japanese, but not too far off from authenticity in its taste
Bookings recommended on Sat night