“Great location for city centre and Cardiff Bay”

and 1 more site!
A Space in the City - Century Wharf
Chester-le-Street, United Kingdom
“Great location for city centre and Cardiff Bay”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in a 1 bedroom apartment in Prague House. Apartment was clean and tidy, and we were greeted by Lorna who was very helpful and gave us all the info we needed. Only complaint we had was that the blinds in the living room were broke, meaning you couldn't close them and looked like they'd been like that a while and there wasn't a great deal of crockery etc, so had to wash cups etc up regularly so we had clean ones. Also pool was being refurbished so we couldn't use it. Location was great as we were able to walk to Mermaid Quay and town centre without the need to use our car. Enjoyed Cardiff and would hope to return. Although apartment wasn't as high quality as the photos suggest we still had a good weekend and as a couple visiting the city for a short break only the apartment provided everything we needed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is our fourth time at Century wharf and our third with space in the city and yet again we were not disappointed, apartment was better than expected and pre and during stay service was excellent!!

We will (hopefully) be back again!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

A Space i, General Manager at A Space in the City - Century Wharf, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing us & we are really pleased to hear that you had a great fourth stay. Look forward to welcoming you on your fifth visit.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked a Century Wharf Apartment for my Partner & I for a 3-day break in early July. When we arrived into Cardiff Bay the apartments looked impressive, all fully gated for security, clean & tidy from the outside. The 'Space in the City' Rep met us at the concierge office & took us to our studio. We were based on the 6th floor in the Marseilles block. Upon opening the studio door the heat immediately hit us, it was scorching, similar to stepping off a plane in a foreign country during the day.The studio was very compact with modern furniture & on the plus side it had spectacular views over the river & the bay. The Rep advised us how to open the 2 large windows but warned us to be aware of the flies & bugs that come up off the river due to the nice weather as a lot of guests had recently complained. She also pointed us in the direction of an upright fan stored in the wardrobe, which was to become our best friend for the next 3 days!

Once we started to unpack our cases we noticed hundreds of tiny squat marks around the ceiling area where previous guests must have tackled the bugs! In addition there was guest hair deeply embedded in the rug, cobwebs around the room & the leather sofa was worn down to the padding on one cushion so much so when I sat down on it I sank to the floor literally. We opened the windows to get some fresh air & within 10 minutes the room was full of tiny flies/spiders/bugs & I was bit 3 times, not a good start. We tried to set the temperature gauge in the room to -5 degrees with a snowflake but it made no difference at all & upon checking with the Rep we were advised that it was under floor heating controls not air-con. During our 2 night stay we had to sleep on top of the bed covers with the fan on full, windows completely shut to avoid the bugs & being eaten alive, it was the worst 2 nights sleep of my life. Even during the day the studio was unbearably hot & the simple task of dressing for a day out left you dripping in sweat. On the day we checked out the cleaning staff greeted us at the door as we were leaving & we advised them that we had the fan on full to assist them & upon walking in they all commented how unbearably hot it was.

Whilst I will never knock the British weather & we have to make the most of it whilst we can the room temperature made our stay unbearable & for the money we paid for 2 nights it was disappointing compared to other apartments I have rented in & around Cities. We asked the Rep if we could change rooms but the complex was full so we couldn't. Cardiff Bay and Cardiff City are both great & we enjoyed our leisure time shopping, sightseeing & visiting friends, but sadly the accommodation let our trip down.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Emi-Lou37
A Space i, General Manager at A Space in the City - Century Wharf, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our studio apartment, sorry that you were with us on one of the hottest weekends that we had in the year so far & that there was a problem with flies into the property. We have found the downside of this lovely summer is that the flies are coming out in force. We have since added fans to the apartments & purchased fly spray should guests wish to use it. We value all feedback & will take a look at the sofa within the property you stayed.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Wales
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Property booked for one week & I chose this house for the swimming pool & leisure facilities - on trying to use the pool, the Concierge advised it was closed! Agency knew it would be closed but did not inform me even though the booking clerk knew that was why we wanted that property.
After booking was confirmed and paid, I was told I would have to pay an additional £25 for the Sunday check-in. After I advised that they could not do that, they eventually agreed to a free check-in.
As requested, we sent a text detailing exact time of arrival - check-in clerk was 20 minutes late & advised that the cleaners were still at the property.
Very basic hand over with no instructions or manual to be found anywhere in the house.
First problem was midges in 2 of the 3 bedrooms - apparently a known problem due to the proximity of the river.......so why didn't the cleaners spray before they left?
It was clear that the bins had not been put out for weeks as they were overflowing with an additional 5 black bags beside them - on bin day, I ended up putting other people's dirty rubbish out for the dust men; no apology was forthcoming when I notified the agency.
The property was advertised with Internet, digital TV, DVD player and stereo - the Internet took 48 hours to get up and running (it had only just been installed but clearly not been tested; we were offered a dongle but as I had one of my own, and a dongle will not give access to mobile devices, I declined). The DVD player was present but no cable connecting it to the TV!! The only stereo to be found was in a bag on the shelf in the garage!!
6 out of 10 bulbs were not working in the kitchen. Whilst this was sorted fairly quickly, it should not have been necessary to place the call to get it rectified in the first place!
The soap drawer in the washing machine was full of thick mould which I had to clean out before using the machine and the iron had frayed cables plus no dial control (this was replaced but such items should be checked regularly to conform with health and safety plus legal requirements). The hot water was also set to be on 24 hours a day which, during a warm spell meant that the heat in the adjoining bedroom to the airing cupboard was unbearable.

The house was great, large and plenty of space although not brilliantly equipped in the kitchen - no salad crisper drawer in the fridge plus only 2 decent saucepans which was not much good for a group of 5 people cooking every evening. With all the other niggles, I had lost the will to live and decided to just go and buy my own additional saucepan. I have rented countless houses in the UK and abroad and I have to say that I have never stayed in one before that didn't at least have foil, food bags and cling film left by previous residents. Additionally there were no cleaning materials at all, again unheard of in the property rental market - yet more expense incurred in buying some to clean the kitchen and bathrooms from day to day. At around £1000 for a week, such items should certainly be provided!

The sign of a great rental agency and property is never having to contact them during a stay - in 3 days I sent 8 emails and made 3 phone calls!

The Home page of the website advises 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back - I didn't ask for my money back but I DID request a refund of some of the fees paid in compensation for all the inconvenience, I was refused - and I'm pretty sure that only one person apologised for any inconvenience which, considering the number of contacts I have made to the agency, it pretty damning!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank FrequentTraveller049
Dear Dympna,

We are sorry to see that your review of our property & our service are so negative as we feel that both prior to your stay & during your stay we worked with you in every respect to firstly assist you in choosing accommodation after your booking via Alpha-rooms allocated you to City Wharf.

We were able to change this for you from a 2 bedroom apartment to a 3 bedroom 4 storey townhouse within which you stayed.

With this being a new property to us there were some issues which we apologised for during your stay & rectified everything for you as quickly as possible. This included three members of staff assisting you & external contractors being called out to attend.

Whilst we are aware that riverside properties can attract flies we do not spray rooms as feel that the lingering smell of the fly spray would not be a pleasant arrival.

With regards to the price of the property, having checked this as a total of £966 for 7 nights, broken down this is just £138 per night, which is considered cost effective for a family of 5.

Additionally, recognising that you had been inconvenienced with having issues within the property we arranged & paid for you to have complimentary day pass for a local spa, which we hope you & your family enjoyed.
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed within one of the studio apartments with a view of the river. Being met & shown around to the apartment was really helpful as meant didn't have to struggle to find where apartment was. It was a hot weekend & being south facing it was hot but a fan was supplied which helped, can't complain about sunshine as it's rare!!

I was able to pay just £20 extra & stay till 2pm instead of having to check-out at 11am which I thought was really useful, meant could go for a walk to Bay on the Sunday & not worry about finding elsewhere to park or leave my bags in my car so worthwhile.

Well equipped & lovely clean place with a good service from who I dealt with, I plan to visit Cardiff again at end end of the year & will be booking to stay again for sure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your positive feedback, pleased to see that despite being here on one of the hot weekends this summer has given that the fan we've supplied helped with this.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst working nearby in Wales. Before going into detail I should say if the property was advertised as a "deluxe two bedroom apartment", without the "deluxe" the review would be 4 if not 5 stars. However deluxe sets standards high, which were not met, especially at a relatively steep £90 p/n.

Tad perturbed to start with as one of the main reasons for booking here, instead of St. Davids Hotel & Spa round the corner, was the swimming pool facilities. However, the fact that the gym, spa & swimming pool facilities would be closed for refurb during my stay was not flagged until after I had made the non-refundable booking and no reduction in price was volunteered. Luckily though the gym was open again in time for my stay but was distinctly average with 4 machines out of order in a rather compact sweaty room-don't book for the gym element certainly. Pool did look nice & clean though when I snuck a look but drained out for the refurb.

Crucial - Bring your own fan or request one as the apartment is amazingly well insulated/hot. Open the windows to try & cool the place and you get a neighbours crying child, close them and you boil, choice is yours (or try your luck and skip apartment 179) Bedrooms spacious and clean though, but cheap small double beds & polyester bedding does not support the deluxe status.

Ironing board not serviceable and just chucked in a cupboard without a cover, again the deluxe element lost on me.

Previous reviewer mentioned a lack of full height mirrors etc...for dressing etc..., this is still the case even in a deluxe apartment.

The apartment must have been very nice when originally opened but is looking tired now, scuffed paintwork, worn plates, and a huge amount of blown bulbs throughout the property (in the kitchen under 50% of the lights worked, bin wouldn't close properly!) Again if a property is described as deluxe you do not expect to have to flag the most basic of things.

Two lovely balconies overlooking the River Taff with great view but really tatty worn out seats, broken table & abandoned planters growing weeds in between the discard cigarette butts. Not deluxe at all.

Overall good apartment but needs the basics attending to again (and a pair of scissors in the kitchen please to keep the description of fully equipped!)

Room Tip: Bring your own fan! Avoid room 179 until next doors baby grows up a few years-constant screaming/cr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank OCHL
Thank you for your review.

The pool being closed has caused some negative reviews & we feel just the same, unfortunately as its a privately owned complex & these facilities are not managed by ourselves any work within them is outside of our control.

Sorry to learn that your apartment was not as you were expecting, we appreciate the feedback & will certainly be looking at adding in some full length mirrors where we can, additionally we have recently been able to purchase fans for some apartments.

We would welcome you to stay with us again, if you wish to do so please mention in advance of booking that you are a returning guest who had a few problems last time & we will do all we can to give you the best apartment at the best price.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed in a studio apartment for the weekend. While the greeting member of staff was pleasant, we noticed Immediately that the apartment was very hot. It got hotter. The heating would not turn off and we had to put towels down on the bathroom floor so we didn't burn our feet when going to the loo. Compounding the agony, one of the windows didn't open. We reported this to staff, but rudely and incompetently they failed to either report the fault or get back to us. No compensation offered, but the manager would 'speak to the staff'. Expected more from people in my own city.... oh yeah and a plague of flies in the room too from the river.... utterly terrible, please don't book this unless its a last resort.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Duncan S
Duncan, thank you for your review. Sorry to hear that you found the apartment too hot. I understand that one of my team came mid stay & advised you that you had turned the underfloor heating on, thinking that it was air-con during your stay.

We have since sent an engineer out to check & the heating is working as it should be, although most guests have it switched off right now.

We've added fans to the apartments due to the hot summer that we are having.

If you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay with us further please give us a call on 029 2009 9889.