“Lovely staff, lovely food!”
Review of Mashup

Mashup
Ranked #849 of 1,351 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Description: We are pleased to be one of the best Jamaican Fusion restaurants in Cardiff with incredible food, polite and friendly staff, and great value for money. We highly recommend our delicious Jerk Chicken and know you will enjoy every taste. When you order your Meat, Seafood, Starters or Sides from us, you'll see why we have been named as one of the best places to order Fusion Cuisine online in Cardiff. You can order securely online and pay by cash, card or PayPal simply by clicking here. Ordering your takeaway online is quick and easy.
Reviewed 22 February 2017

I took up the promotional offer on Groupon so my wife and I visited Mashup and were pleasantly surprised with our introduction to Caribbean cuisine. The choice was limited but nevertheless the dishes we chose were all delicious and very tasty.The cocktails were fine , as I was driving I had the non-alcoholic one which was very pleasant.The waitress was very sociable and a credit to the restaurant .All in all it was a very enjoyable evening.Well done, Mashup!!

Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

Food so tasty, Staff very friendly and atmosphere was fab with the dj and decorations. Totally recommend this place!

Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

I visited this restaurant last night with my husband. I'm heavily pregnant, in fact post my due date. My husband found Groupon voucher to this place, but before we bought it he rung this restaurant to double check we can book a table for the same night and that they would accept the voucher. They booked the table for us and said its fine to use the voucher. The voucher was for a starter+main+side+ cocktail each.
An hour before the booking time they rang us saying we can't use the voucher, because it starts from Monday. We were not happy, as before they confirmed it was all fine. In fact, we checked on Groupon and it didn't say anything about when the voucher was valid from. We rang the place back and explained our situation that I can go into labour any day and we wanted to specifically go out on the same night. After a long conversation they agreed we can come, so we went.
We ordered soft drinks and we were told we will have to pay for them. The voucher included 2 cocktails, so we were actually doing them a favour by picking cheaper drinks. I was not happy and asked to speak to the manager/owner. He was the most rude person I've ever dealt with. He basically said he will give us very small portions of food (because we are using the voucher) and they were the smallest portions ever. I don't eat a lot as being 9 months pregnant I haven't got the space, but my 2 lamb chops I ate in 4 bites. There was more bones and fat than meat. My husband's steak was like kid's size steak - not more than 4oz. They also messed up the sides, so I had my husband's on mine plate and he had mine. Honestly, the worst experience ever. The owner clearly didn't want to serve us, because we had the voucher. We will definitely avoid this place in the future, shame as we normally support small, local restaurants.

2  Thank Izabela K
Reviewed 23 November 2016

Having been to Mashup a few times I can confidently recommend their cuisine.

We tried dishes from every part of the menu including the fried plantain, patatas bravas, coconut and sweet potato empanadas, Caribbean style fish and of course, their regionally famous jerk chicken.

The food was fantastic, well cooked and tastefully seasoned. The restaurant itself is also very nice, appropriately decorated and intimate. If you're feeling adventurous or would like to try Caribbean food, I would definitely recommend. Arrive early however, since the chicken sells out fast!!!!

2  Thank James Francis D
Reviewed 18 November 2016

I thought I would leave the first review of this place so here it goes:

It was Probably some of the best food we have eaten in a very long while. Me and the Mrs ate here in the first week it was open and had the 10oz Sirloin steak which was incredible! It had a nice seared taste to it and it was covered in this sort of delicious sweet fresh tomato and chorizo sauce. To be honest, this is the kind of cooking I miss living in Cardiff. We have travelled all over the world and I can honestly say this is probably in my top 3 steaks I've eaten, possibly even second! I did think £20 was expensive for the steak but it was definitely worth the money overall as we got a lot of food and it was mouthwateringly good.

My Girlfriend had the pulled lamb which was also really nice, it was well seasoned and marinated and was served in this really light roti cup and with a salsa the whole thing worked well together, she really enjoyed it, and her cocktail which was a pina colada was perfectly strong sweet and coconutty at the same time (She was a little tipsy after her first one!!) I just had a Cider. We also indulged in some coconut and pumpkin empanadas, again these were really REALLY tasty especially for a vegetarian option (I love meat so to have a veggie option was a brave move for me) I would probably order these as a snack on a takeout on my way home from work, they were to die for!!

The ambience was nice, it was very quiet but It still had such a nice relaxed environment with a good mix of music from reggae to Cuban Jazz (and we love our good music as travellers), Personal opinion: I think once this restaurant is full of people it could be a really enjoyable evening.

I cook a lot and eat out at many places and again this was probably one of the best meals we have had in a long time. I really hope this place stays open now and you keep up this standard of food that is being served right now! We will be back to try the Cuban lamb and the Jerk Chicken.

My ONLY criticism, again my ONLY! Criticism is the portion size...Not that this is anything to complain about and believe me I am not complaining! But, there was a little bit too much food to finish and if I could give the owner any advice on his new restaurant is to make them a little smaller which would leave people hungry for more... We were STUFFED after a main course and a side, no way could we have handled a starter, main and a dessert, less is more in this case I think.

We will be back very soon, Best of luck!