“good location; Above Average - but wifi had a limit”

Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #25 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Geneva, Switzerland
“good location; Above Average - but wifi had a limit”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

It's in a good location. beside the train station and Millenium stadium. 10-15 min walk to Cardiff Uni. 5 min walk to St. David’s Shopping Complex.
Our room for two was just enough (bordering small). But the beds, pillows are comfortable. Room / toilet is spotless and modern, tastefully decorated. Can't say anything about the food in the hotel since we never ate there since there so much choices nearby (including Jamie's Italian food)
With the above, I WOULD have given it an Excellent rating. I have to downgrade it because of the WIFI limitation.
In this day and age and in Europe, I half expected that when it is free WIFI, it should be enough for emails, do video communication (facetime or skype) to check with the love ones, etc.

I could agree, there could be some upper (but very high) limit. I can't remember the exact limit they gave us but we got cut off while we were Skyping. To Sleeperz Credit, they gave me another code. So, score for me is indeed above average..

Room Tip: If there is an event in the Millennium stadium, e.g. Rugby, street side could be VERY noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManager1969, Manager at Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you so much for a lovely review, we do try and upgrade our free wi-fi service on a regular basis and will be raising limits again to meet the demands our guests. Glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. Kind regards Javeed Anwar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, England
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Was stressed as soon as I entered our "compact" room. I was expecting small, but not this small. Felt cramped and claustrophobic and felt ripped off at £65 a night. Nightmare trying to get ready to go out. Budget hotel in a good location. I'd be happier to pay around £40 for the room. Parking is at NCP opposite at you can get a ticket at reception for £9. Would stay again if the room rate came down to a more realistic level.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Glad to hear that you would stay with us again, we do have some larger Queen sized rooms, maybe try one of those on your next visit. Generally as you will read from other reviews our compact rooms do meet most guests requirements for a modern city centre hotel with a great location. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Kind regards Javeed Anwar
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed for two nights. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The location is great, next to the train station and very central, within walking distance of Cardiff Castle, the shopping area and the big park by the castle. The room was tidy but really small, hardly any space for the suitcase etc. I found that the toilet was actually a bit dirty on arrival, which was rather awful, though I forgot to complain about it. The bathroom is also very tiny, not much space to move about in, and little or no shell space for toiletries.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager1969, Manager at Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our hotel, I wish you had mentioned your concern during your stay and we would have identified the problem and rectified it immediately. Thanks for the positive comments about our location and friendly staff. Kind regards Javeed Anwar
simonhutch
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I've been lucky enough to visit Cardiff a few times over the years. Always have a great time as there is lots to see and lots to do regardless of what it is that you are into. Museums? Check. Cheesy disco? Check. History? Check. High-end dining? Check. Packet of chips on the way home? Check.

On this occasion I was only in town for one night and had flown in from Barcelona. We were a bit knackered but really pleased to rock up here. Great team behind the desk. Modern design. Rooms clean and tidy. Not a huge fan of the wet room idea but that is more me than any problem with the way it was designed. It has been a long time since I've slept in a bunk bed and even though I was alone I took the top bunk. Obviously!

Really good breakfast - make sure you add it to your bill when you check in as it knocks it down to something like £5. You eat in another modern room with full height windows so you can start your day watching the commuters of Cardiff heading into work. Its fair to stay they make an effort on dressing up!

Easy to get into the City Centre, bit of a walk to the bay, right on the doorstep of the train station - handy for catching the 0825 back to London so you can get behind your desk and start all over again.

Room Tip: I was in 214 (I think) which in on the corner and so may be a little smaller BUT you get a fun view...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for leaving us a great 5 star review. Just to mention we also have lots of double bed rooms as well as our cabin/bunk bed rooms, try the double bed next time. Also very happy to hear that you enjoyed our cooked and continental buffet breakfast, I agree it is fantastic value when you book on arrival at the hotel. Come back soon. Kind regards Javeed Anwar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was basic but clean and in a great central location right next to Cardiff central station. You can walk easily to everywhere in 5-10 minutes.

The hotel has a bit of a hostel feel about it but that didn't really matter. The only thing that let it down was the wet room.

Room Tip: All the rooms are really compact but work well. The rooms to the rear of the hotel face over the rai...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the review, happy to hear that you liked the location and the great room rates. Kind regards Javeed Anwar
london
Reviewed 10 June 2014

When I'm staying somewhere I'm usually happy if the room is clean and quiet. The hotel is in a great location but I found it lacking in other areas.

I arrived at the hotel and having made a prior request to be on the top floor facing away from the road I was given the first floor facing the road. My room smelled like a urinal and the sheets had stains on them. I asked if someone could come and clean and the receptionist was helpful in giving me another room. My new room was much better but the wi-fi wasn't working and this was an issue because I was staying in Cardiff for work. The issue was resolved later that night but in the meantime I had to pay a deposit to borrow an ethernet cable, which also didn't work.

Also, be warned that the shower floods the bathroom, so don't leave your clothes on the floor.

I had arranged to have breakfast at the hotel because the menu said that it served soya milk. When I came down the next morning I asked for soya milk and I was told that they don't stock it. If I had known that they don't serve it, I would have just grabbed some fruit from the local M&S.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager1969, Manager at Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, it is always disappointing to hear from a guest that was not entirely happy with their stay, as you will read from other reviewers, we do generally get things right. Apologies for the issue with the Wi-Fi (which as you say was fixed later) and lack of soya milk, we simply ran out, we do stock it. Kind regards Javeed Anwar
Monza, Italy
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel 4 nights. Strategic location, the station is around the corner and the center is a 2 minute walk. Rooms small but lovely, very clean, great breakfast for everyone, staff very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo