“A few days in Cardiff”

Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Sleeperz is a fairly decent hotel which is conveniently located right next door to Cardiff Central Station. The rooms are pretty small but well equipped but be warned there is a building site right behind it so don't expect good views. The staff were really friendly and the buffet breakfast was plentiful. Don't pay separately for breakfast though, get it included in the price of your room otherwise there are cheaper options available locally. Cardiff itself is a fun place to explore for a few days with plenty to see and do. The Bay in particular is great for drinking and dining. If you want shopping though the city centre is packed with every shop you've ever heard of! The Welsh people are incredibly friendly and helpful too.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 July 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights after visiting friends nearby. For us the hotel met our needs perfectly. We travelled up by train so the location was ideal. The rooms are very soundproof, so the proximity to the station wasn't an issue. Sleeperz was central, clean, affordable, secure and slightly quirky. We didn't opt for breakfast as it was around £7 which was a bit pricey for what it was. Plus there are plenty of pubs and cafes nearby so there's no shortage of food options.

The rooms although compact are well furnished and include WIFI, tea facilities, a flat screen TV with Freeview, basic shower products and extra pillows. One thing I would say is that the bathroom doors are made of sliding frosted glass so they don't seal, and are therefore not sound or smell proof! Not so much a problem for us but you may want to choose your room-mate carefully if you're sharing! There isn't much storage for clothes but we were only there for a few nights so it didn't really matter. Hairdryers and ironing boards also are available from reception if you need them.

I'd stay here again if I was going to Cardiff. Worth a go, and cheaper than Travelodge!

1  Thank Grassy_Lemon
Reviewed 2 July 2010

You come out of the train station and it is on your right. Conveniently located opposite whetherspoons and the town centre. We stayed here to see Jack Johnson at the CIA and it was only a 5minute walk away. Nice modern hotel, rooms a bit small, no lock on toilet but ok. Free wifi but we didn't need it. Air con was on but at night it was noisy as it kept making random noises other than the usual. All in all pleasant but I will probably stay in the travelodge next time, can get a family room for nearly half price and it is only a mile walk away. Oh and cardiff is really good for shopping....

Reviewed 17 June 2010

We arrived in Cardiff by train and walked over to the Sleeperz, which is right next to the train station. The prices are quoted on the window, though we got a slightly better deal somehow. They also serve breakfast and drinks here. We prepaid the breakfast, which made for an easy morning each day. The rooms are tiny but comfy. For two people, we had to coordinate how to get around the room, and you may want to consider the close quarters if you are sensitive about using the toilet behind a glass door 4 feet from your partner. The room was super clean, and we got a good rest here.

Reviewed 7 June 2010

We stayed in the Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff for one night as we were seeing Stereophonics play at Cardiff City Stadium (that was excellent by the way!!).

The hotel has a superb location right by the rail station and close to the city centre. We came out of the station, got our Cardiff map out, but didn't need it as the hotel is right in front of you!!

Staff were very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend the buffet breakfast, it was superb!!

We had a compact double room which although small, was ideal for a one night stay. It was spotless!

I would definitely stay here again if visiting Cardiff in the future and good value too. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 20 May 2010

I stayed at Sleeperz hotel for three nights Midweek on a Bed & Breakfast basis and was more than pleased with the location, friendly staff, room facilities, breakfast, and overall cleanliness of Sleeperz Cardiff.

I travelled by train and thought the hotel was very good value for money and in an ideal location to explore the City and Cardiff Bay. My room overlooked the Millenium Stadium and the entrance to central railway station. I was given a (compact double) for sole use and could not fault the room facilities and cleanliness. Take a few extra hangers for your clothes if your staying for more than one night. My room was on the top floor and I did not hear any train noise. After reading previous reviews made a special point of sitting in the lounge at reception where I also did not encounter any train noise.

The breakfast is serve yourself buffett style and is lovely, consisting of very good quality bacon, sausages, scrambled egg, tomatoes, beans etc. A good selection of cereal, fruit, nuts, preserves, cheese, ham fresh fruit is also available.

The staff at Cardiff are hardworking, polite, extremely helpfull and are a credit to this new hotel group. I hope that the Sleeperz Hotel concept goes from strength to strength and wish them every success with their future expansion and with their new hotel in Newcastle.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeny5
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I stayed at the Sleeperz May 5 and 6. The hotel is so close to the train station that it is basically adjacent to it. Even so, noise was not an issue. It is a clean modern hotel, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is available in the dining room for an additional price. The price of breakfast is 2 pounds less if you reserve it the night before. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel, so can't comment any further on that.

From the hotel I walked to Cardiff Bay (about a 20-minute walk), Cardiff Castle, Bute Park, and the main shopping areas. I took a boat from Cardiff Bay, which let me off at the bridge right by the train station. All in all, I was very pleased with the location.

The room was small, but designed to make maximum use of the limited space. It was nice to have a double bed in the single room since most single rooms in the UK at that price level have a twin bed. The bed was also very comfy.

My only complaint is with the bathroom. It is very small--not much more than twice the size of an airplane bathroom. There is no door on the shower stall and no towel rack in the bathroom. The only thing separating the bathroom from the bedroom is a sliding glass door. That wasn't a problem for me since I was traveling solo, but if you were sharing a room it would be less than ideal. The glass is frosted, but... well, you get the idea. Moreover, if you are taller than 5'4" you can open and close the bathroom door without even getting out of the bed. There is limited counter space in the bathroom and it is awkwardly placed near the floor. The toilet paper roll is also awkwardly placed, and I kept knocking it off the holder.

There is no closet in the room, just a hook above the pull-down luggage rack. Again, not a problem for me since I was alone and only staying for 2 nights. For 2 people staying several days, it might get a bit cramped.

Despite these shortcomings, for the price and location, I definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo