“great value for money”

Ranked #5 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“great value for money”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

we travelled to Cardiff bay to visit the doctor who experience , the hotel was located in a great location with plenty to do , a variety of bars and restaurants within walking distance , with a bowling alley and cinema next door , the staff were really friendly and helpful , we did find the noise coming from the bowling alley a little loud and as it was a hot weekend we did have to choose between the noise from next door or cooking in our room , we chose to close the window as the repetition of bowling balls hitting the pins was to much to bare , the staff were really friendly and really helpful , we chose to have breakfast onsite , we all enjoyed the food on offer and there was a nice selection , only niggle I had about breakfast was on entering the restaurant you were given one bowl one side plate and a plate each as its an all you can eat breakfast I found it a bit odd to be limited to one plate , as our daughter didn't enjoy the scrambled egg so we had to scrap it off her plate into a used bowl on our table and reuse the plate again , I know if I would of asked for another plate it wouldn't of been a problem but as the staff had other things to do it wasn't always easy to stand around waiting for them to return , also there was no where to put your dirty dishes , the staff were great in removing cereal boxes and side plates , but again that was once they were available to do so , would love to stay again as our overall experience was a pleasant one

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was a one night stay at a hotel located in Cardiff's wharf area. The bed was comfy but a very basic room and souless like most Travelodges. We found it really difficult to access with a single small entrance via a larger carpark that served an entertainment complex. Carparking and internet were both costly if used A good breakfast was supplied. The transport into the city was infrequent so a long walk was needed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank judith h
South Wales
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Booked an overnight stay at the Travelodge in Cardiff Bay for the annual Food Festival. My husband and I have stayed in a few Travelodge Hotels but this one is by far the best. The Staff are brilliant, nothing too much trouble for them.
We will certainly return as the room we had was spotlessly clean, comfortable beds and beautiful large pillows - my husband requested extra pillows as he is asthmatic and has to sleep virtually upright. These were supplied straight away. I also loved the large fluffy towels, but the one little niggle was there was just a small bottle of shower gel provided, no soap.

As pensioners we also appreciated the fact that it was only a short walk to the Bay area where the festival was being held.

Room Tip: Higher floor quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rednana
Bude, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

If you are attending an event at the Millennium Stadium at Cardiff and don't want to be in the hustle & bustle of the city, then this place is for you. It is about 15/20 mins walk along a flat and straight road to the stadium and the city shops. Alternatively you can catch one of the frequent buses for a price of about £1.20 each way. Cardiff Bay is also very close with it's bars and restaurants and theatre and when I was there it was 'partying'. This was excellent and no trouble at all.

Whilst the hotel has it's own small café/bar there are numerous bars and restaurants within a very short walk. Parking is easy, by using a ticket verified by the hotel reception and driving there is also easy as it is about 8 miles from the M4, and please TRUST the directions given on the website.

This is not a luxury hotel and the room is basic. One comfortable double bed, a plastic chair, a small formica table and a large mirror. The shower room is cosy (!).
and liquid soap is provided in a very small phial. I did find that slightly strange and a bit mean of Travelodge. A wall mounted tv has a limited number of channels.

'Booking In' is from 3pm and I arrived at 2.30pm. However, if I had wished to go directly to my room this would have incurred an extra charge, again slightly mean as the room had been paid for 6 months in advance, but..... rules is rules !.
One thing was very noticeable, whilst the staff were polite, but not overly friendly, the hotel was exceptionally clean and tidy. I left very early in the morning and the night porter was cleaning the floor in Reception.

My test is always, would I go there again and the answer is yes, but unless you get a good deal (and it is out of season), it can be expensive.

Room Tip: If you wish to sleep with the window open, please don't have a room overlooking the hotel entran...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My second stay at the Cardiff Atlantic Wharf having stayed there in November 2013.I cant recommend this hotel highly enough.The staff are very friendly ,polite and courteous .I asked for a high floor and also in view of the heat in July 2014 a fan also .Both requests complied with professionally.I cant comment on the food or bar as i use the hotel as a base to goto the local attactions like cardiff bay waterfront and the dr who experience but i am sure they would be excellent.Room was clean tidy,comfortable double bed ,flatscreen tv and somewhere to hang my clothes.En suite type bathroom also clean.Nice powerfull shower also .Quiet when i stayed in July on a thursday night.I love this hotel and if you are looking for reasonable priced hassle free stay in clean accomodation it cant be bettered .

Room Tip: Ask for a fan in summertime as can be stuffy at night even with the window open
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

As huge doctor who fans, I had planned a trip to Cardiff to be on location where it was filmed. I knew the hotel was close to the train station and Cardiff Bay, but when we got there, I was amazed it was all within minutes of the hotel.

The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful, and very easy to chat to. They offered great knowledge of both Cardiff bay area and Cardiff city centre.

We chose to pay extra to have breakfast, and there was a great choice of food, including cereals and cooked breakfasts (sausages, bacon, eggs, beans etc.)

The room was basic, but well suited for a good nights sleep. Although a small fridge and a little more storage space for clothes would up my rating to 5/5.

Overall, a fab stay in an excellent hotel and location!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangkok
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Clean basic room in good location - just a short walk to Cardiff Bay Area where you can find restaurants and view. There is parking in front of the hotel sharing with casino and small shopping mall/cineplex next to the hotel.

About 10 mins drive to city centre.

Stayed June 2014