“Quick, satisfying lunch”

Ranked #310 of 1,259 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress Cardiff Mermaid Quay offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. The restaurant is family-friendly, with particular attention given to children. Kid's Pizza Making Parties give kids the chance to design their own pizzas while having fun. Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options are available.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The best pizza we have had on our trip. Lunch was quick and tasty. The service was excellent. The lunch menu is great for small, light meals.

There are newer reviews for Pizza Express

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I do not like chain-style restaurants, but will use them because often that is all that is available. That said Pizza Express in Cardiff Bay is DIFFERENT. The food is good, the service prompt, the staff know what they are doing and the chefs equally professional. The hustle and bustle of a busy day was taken in their stride - why? - because they have the correct number of staff working who know what they are doing.

One complaint the seats are starting to look tired and a few have holes in them - get them changed - it is a BIG turnoff.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Pizza express is always good for lunch/dinner
Had lunch here with 12 friends. Service was good and food great as normal
Worth a visit as always

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We took two of our grandchildren for an early dinner last week. Despite being a Saturday evening, service was very good and very quick. The waiter took an interest in the children and what they wanted. It was pleasant to sit out in the shade and watch the bay after a hot day. Food was good, but the salad could have been better. We all enjoy Pizza Express, but feel that it is overpriced for what you get. One of the problems with this country is finding suitable child friendly places to eat.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Visited on Saturday 4pm with my 2 children. Food and service was acceptable although i didnt like the fact that we didnt have a dedicated waiter/ress - a different person took our orders, served our drinks, food and gave us the bil. Used Tesco vouchers to make this an affordable visit as otherwise this is an expensive meal out and wouldn't be my first choice of restaurant.

My only issue was when paying - i wanted to pay with cash (a £20 note to pay £12.55 and had already give £2.50 for service) but the waitress said she didnt have enough change and then suggested i should offer the entire amount as a tip. She started walking away and i had to assert myself to correct her and say no.I found this extremely embarrassing, i dont like being accosted on the spot and it really soured this experience. Given that i was using Tesco vouchers, i would hardly give £10 + as tip. In the end, i paid using my debit card and gave her the £2.50 tip but i felt pressurised to do this. I had actually wanted change so that i could get my kids ice-cream from Cadwalladers.

I have been to Pizza Express on 2 occasions using Tesco vouchers. this was my first time at Mermaid Quay. I doubt i will go back. The food is fine, service was acceptable but i didnt like tis tactic and it really soured it for me.