“Tired and not very welcoming”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Dirty carpets and heating systems that do not function are not what one expects in a hotel of this price, nor is the rather ungracious reception. Rooms are standard, and beds are comfortable. My room was quiet, but overlooked a car park and a wall. There are better places to stay in Cardiff

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Alasseur
Write a ReviewReviews (2,672)

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Brilliant Customer service, lovely room which was spotless! Dined in the restaurant - the food was great and very reasonably priced. Also had a massage and used the pool, steam room and jacuzzi which were all very clean.

I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be visiting again.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding nearby, what can I say it was amazing, stayed in a more room, i loved it, rooms spotless, nice size bathroom. We used the leisure club, what a pleasure it wAs, Lovley relaxing swim and jacuzzi. The second night we dined in the pub, the quality of the food was of a high standard I had gammon which was superb and my partner had a burger, very generous portion!!! All the staff were helpful, friendly and nothing was too much trouble, we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I have been to many functions at this hotel over the past few years but this was the first time I was staying as we had a function in Cardiff on the Sat eve and a formal function at Llandaff Cathedral on Sunday morning. On arrival in our room (which was a marathon walk from reception) the room was fine in size but freezing cold, we tried in vain to turn on the small heater to no avail. We couldn't get an answer at reception by phone so I walked the long way back to ask how to warm up the room and was told the system could only be overridden by the manager (the reception was very busy, hence the no answer on the phone). On our return to the room at midnight the room was now warmer from the small heater.

Breakfast in the morning was fine, we returned to our room and I turned on the shower (over the bath) to get ready for our function, I turned to get my towel when the entire shower panel (a fixed panel) came crashing out of its holding and fell onto my inner forearm pushing me to the floor before the panel came to rest on the toilet. Fortunately my inner forearm had borne the brunt of the fall which stopped the glass from breaking.

My husband came running to the bathroom to find me on the floor with the panel above me. Components from the top of the shower were on the far side of the toilet on the floor. My arm was grazed, red and painful and the incident shook me up considerably. After checking I was okay, my husband went to reception to report the matter and ask for the manager to come to the room to see what had happened. By 10am (some 30 mins later) no-one had arrived and we had to leave to attend the service at Llandaff Cathedral. As I opened the door the housekeeper Mandy was nearby (having been given the incorrect room number). I showed her what had happened and told her I was shaken and grazed but that we had to leave as we were in danger of being late for the service at the Cathedral in which I had a role to perform. She offered first aid, but I said we had to leave as we would be late.

My left forearm was bruised, swollen and sore but fortunately it prevented the panel from shattering and possibly inflicting more serious injury. At checkout I asked the receptionist if they had my full contact details about the incident and the lady checked online to confirm, my details.

I fully expected someone from the hotel to have contacted me later regarding the incident and to check if I was okay. I was most disappointed to say that no contact was made from anyone in the company. The failure to contact me made me believe that the hotel does not treat incidents with the diligence they deserve. If the panel had fallen on a small child or elderly person events could have been a lot worse. On the 11th of October I emailed the above to the manager and eventually had a reply on the 13th acknowledging the incident saying a maintenance check had shown no other issues. I was offered an upgrade when I next booked a stay there!

I'm afraid that I wouldn't want to stay here again as their customer care fell far short, they wouldn't have contacted me at all if I hadn't emailed them to find out what measures they had taken to prevent it from happening again. I attended an event here last Saturday but decided to stay in the hotel opposite, which is of a lower standard but at least the customer care is good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I recently had the misfortune to stay the weekend at this hotel with my family. Whilst ordering food in the sports bar I witnessed a member of bar staff racially abusing a guest that was making a complaint about the service he was receiving. I tried to make a complaint at reception and was told to go downstairs to the gym area and fill in a comments card if I wanted to make a complaint.

The men's changing rooms are a disgrace!.....there was faecal matter in the shower stall, a used condom under the seating bench and the floor looked like they haven't been cleaned for months. In the steam room I nearly sat in shaving foam where someone had been shaving. When I tried to make a complaint at reception I was told I couldn't as they didn't know how to take a complaint!!

I've travelled all over the world in my younger days and this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in! An absolute disgrace and quite possibly a health hazard!!

Room Tip: Check in advance that there isn't a wedding at the hotel!!.....the staff simply can't cope w...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Well can honestly say after a long journey - we had a very warm welcome on arrival by a lovely Scottish Lady who had a teddy for Joshy - (Which he now takes to bed)!
The bedroom was as we would expect, a good size, clean and comfortable - i have requested information on buying one of the beds as it was so comfy (Great idea The VIllage)
We had lunch from Star Bucks on arrival - very nice Panini's and dinner in the Victory where i can honestly say i had the best burger ever !!
Very friendly hotel and everything we could have wished for. The sports club was fantastic will definitley be going again

Room Tip: Rooms in the extension are a nice size
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2012

It appeared that some rooms in this hotel were refurbished, but mine was not. The floor was incredibly squeeky and seemed to be made of plywood - I felt sorry for the people below me because I had to get up early for a meeting that day. The bed was hard and uncomfortable and the fire alarm went off in the hotel at 12:00 AM so we all had to evacuate. The breakfast was greasy - however - having the Starbucks in the lobby was night. Fitness room and pool were very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room - if you can't get one stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business