“Brilliant hotel let down only by pub restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Cardiff

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #20 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
“Brilliant hotel let down only by pub restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

My partner booked me a weekend break for my 21st birthday, and i've got to say it was the best weekend ever !! The reception are soo friendly and lovely they cant do enough to help you, the spa girls are helpful friendly and absolutely amazing couldnt have asked for better the facilities are amazing the interior is gorgeous!!
HOWEVER .......
The one let down we had was the food in the victory pub it was horrible starter tasted like it'd been there for ages and like they'd dowsed it in pepper the main was worse than a microwave meal but didnt taste as nice...... The dessert tho was the highlight of the meal and was quite nice but you cant mess that up really
All in all tho an amazing place i'd recommend to anyone but I would say go out for food x

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your review of your recent stay at the hotel.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and that you got to celebrate your 21st in style!

I'm sorry that the Victory Pub food wasn't to your liking, and I've discussed your feedback with chef. Our brand new restaurant "Vinny and Vito's Italian Kitchen" opens on May 1st, and will provide a menu with something for everyone, we can't wait!

Hopefully next time your in Cardiff, you'll stop by and give it a try!

DGM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

I, along with my children and grandchildren recently spent 3 nights at the De Vere Village on visit to Wales.
The rooms are petty standard hotel rooms with pleasant enough bathrooms. It can be a bit of a meandering hike from reception to your room, but you soon get used to that. The family rooms were fine, I am told, with plenty of room.
Whilst we were at the hotel there were a couple of hen parties staying, not too noisy, but great fun!
The bar was kitted out as a sports bar, with good choice of beers and pleasant service. Just a bit too noisy for me I am afraid.
All of the staff that I met were very pleasant and helpful. One evening there was no hot water for a time, an inconvenience, but we knew the staff were on the case and it soon came back.
The 12 of us ate in the hotel on the first night and I thought the food was much better than I expected from hotel catering. Everybody enjoyed their meal and the service was excellent.
I do think the wine list is somewhat limited and quite expensive for what it was.
Breakfast provided a good buffet choice of hot food, fruit, yoghurt and cereal. I would suggest that they have a wider choice of fruit juices.
What made it a really good hotel for our family was the sports centre. I am told the 'work out room' was excellent, but I can confirm that the pool area is very good. Jacuzzi,sauna, steam room and a couple of swimming lanes if you just want to do lengths.
We have all agreed that we would go back to this hotel as a family.

Room Tip: we stayed in room numbers starting with a 5 or 6 which were further away from the main body of the...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for your comprehenisve review of your recent stay in the hotel.

As you can see, we welcome a broad spectrum of guests to the hotel, from couples celebrating anniversaries, to Hen parties, to families and business people.

I am pleased that we offer something for everyone at the hotel, and I hthnk your tip about requesting alternative rooms in a different part of the hotel should you be noise sensitive was a great one!, we always strive to ensure guest stays are as enjoyable as possible.

We are now just one week away from opening our new "Vinny + Vito's Italian Kitchen", one of our slogans is "bring your family to ours" and I am delighted that you did on this occaision, and look forward to welcoming your family back again in the future.

Kind regards,

ponytpridd wales uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed here for one night as a freind had a birthday party here.
The room was nice but the decor was very dark, black wallpaper, gunmetal grey wall, which exteneded to the corridor. and the canvas on the bedroom wall was a monoment to the glourious dead of the war!! all very depressing.
The bathroom was nice except for the mould growing on the soap dispenser.
We where told that the dining area was being refurbished.
The alternative was a basement, again very dark deco with low ceilings, the carpet was dirty and the funiture was very old and worn out looking.
There where thick china mugs instead of cups and saucers, with a large Tv in the corner.
It reminded me of a transport cafe.
The breakfast was good.
The staff where very helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: There is a starbucks in the hotel a small coffee in a paper cup cost £2 60 !!! There is coffee supl...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

I'm sorry that you didn't find the decor to your taste, all of our bedrooms feature photo's form various landmarks throughout the Cardiff area. Personally i find this quite refreshing compared to a generic hotel image, however i completely understand that this is down to personal preferrence.

I have discussed the issues you raised regarding the cleanliness of your bathroom with our housekeeper, please be assured that this is not typical.

I am also sorry that the decor and design of our temporary restaurant the "Vibe suite" was not to your liking, however I am certain you will be pleased to hear that our brand new restaurant "Vinny + Vito's Italian Kitchen" will be opening on May 1st. We also offer great food in our Victory Pub as an alternative for evening dinner.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future to enjoy the new restaurant and our other exciting features.

Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

I mostly aim to stay at this hotel when I am in the area on business as I find the rooms to be great value, comfortable and love the room service choices and pricing. The only downside is the TV channel choices! As a single traveller I spend most of my time in my room and would love to have something decent to watch..........lot's of sports channels but this is not my bag!On this particular visit I was allocated a room which turned out to have a draught at the window and after around an hour I called down to request to be moved. This was arranged immediately, without fuss and was very welcomed- thankyou! The day I checked out I found I had lost somewhere on my travels a diamond from a ring which is very sentimental to me. I called the hotel to ask them ( in the very slightest chance) if they found it , to let me know, The receptionist was genuine and full of concern and passed me to housekeeping, who again were fantastic and of course, they would let me know if it was found. Thanks Village,your customer service is always great,you always have chatty and friendly staff and I hope to see you soon.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your feedback regarding your recent (and previous) stays at the hotel.

We do try and offer a range of tv choices for our guests, and I will be reviewing this feedback with our provider to ensure that the choices are balanced.

Thank you for contacting us immediately when you found an issue with the room, we always aim to delight every guest, so when things aren't 100% the sooner we know, the faster we can make things right.

I'm glad you like the team, it is a pleasure to work with a such a professional and friendly bunch, they are certainly a big part of what makes the hotel so special!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

kind regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Late bargain booking for a short break destination and not disappointed. The refurb of the restaurant limits catering options on site but is not a disruption more generally. All staff have been so friendly and the pool is great. Can't vouch for the Spa but it was always busy - a good sign. Lobby was always busy, looks like a local meeting place! Rooms modern and clean, good facilities but no fridge. Our room was over reception and near the lift so was a little noisy when evening functions ended and when people returned to their rooms. Pub food was generous but simple. Buffet breakfast was plentiful and hot.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

I'm delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay. As you point out the Spa can be very busy as it offers a great range and quality of treatments, so we do always recommend booking in advance if possible.

We are all very excited, to be able to offer "Vinny and Vito's Italian Kitchen" as our new restaurant in the hotel. It will be open from May 1st, and will give a fantastic range of dining for all to enjoy.

I look forward to seeing you there, should you be visiting Cardiff in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

Location is very convenient, just off the M4. Plenty of parking in decent sized spaces. Rooms are smart, modern and a bit moody but comfortable. Lobby seemed very busy in the evening and in the morning (Starbucks has an effect).

The restaurant is being refurbished so temporarily downstairs. We should have gone to the Victory pub. Carvery was OK, wine pricey, soft drinks £2.85 per pint. Puddings were fine (ice cream and sticky toffee pudding) but they had run out of custard...

Breakfast was OK, decent selection served buffet style.

I assume things will be better when the restaurant is re-opened. Hope so because this could be excellent.

Staff are really friendly if, sometimes, a bit confused.

Dear guest,

thank you for your review of your recent stay at the hotel.

We are very pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. As you noted we are currently refurbishing our restaurant and will be opening on May 1st as "Vinny and Vito's Italian Kitchen". We feel that this is the last piece of the jigsaw to make us one of the top destinations in Cardiff, and thank you for baring with us while we under go these changes.

I look forward to seeing you at the hotel again in the future, and giving us some more feedback on your experience.

kind regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Could not be more convenient for the motorway. A big hotel, and I had to walk a long way to my room, but that did mean it was quiet. Plenty of parking space and a great swimming pool and spa area. Great to have free wifi! Lighting dim in the room but that seems typical of hotels these days.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

thankyou for your review regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

I'm glad you enjoyed the leisure facilities in the hotel, and you are quite right that our proximity to the Motorway and city centre provides an unrivalled level of convenience.

We have a number of different room options throughout the hotel. May i suggest you upgrade to one of our upper deck rooms for your next stay, they are centrally located, quiet and offer a great range of upgraded features.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.