“hotel”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 24 November 2013

a lovely hotel very clean real friendly staff all with smiles on their faces bar one on the desk when I arrived she let the rest down she was very rude to me for no reason the rest of the staff were lovely we had a lovely room very smart couldn't ask for more will definatly go again

Room Tip: try getting a room at the back less noise as taxies comeing and going but there again I did have the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank may884

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Having stayed at a number of Village hotels, my expectations were high (in particular, Swansea & St David's both excellent hotels).
Reception staff upon arrival, extremely friendly and accommodating.
Had to battle through a horde of people smoking directly outside main entrance when I returned from City (not got it in for smokers! It's just a little unpleasant and doesn't look particularly good for the hotel, in my opinion).
Party night totally scuppers any chance of sleep! Incredibly noisy (I am a heavy sleeper too!), with the bass reverberating.
I hate complaining, but when I rang reception to ask when the event would be finishing, I was informed "at 1am" as though I was being an inconvenience! A lukewarm "sorry" was issued but seemingly no further action or gesture of goodwill is available to staff.
Bathroom well appointed but a little tired, grout very discoloured and underside of shower screen looked like a bacterial warfare cultivation.
Stained sheets and marks on the sofa, battery cover missing on tv remote and soundproofing between rooms is practically non existent! (Either a T-Rex was peeing in the toilet of next room or I have developed surveillance level hearing?!).
I await a, much shorter than planned, nights sleep and the breakfast buffet with anticipation and hope that it goes some way to rectifying the lukewarm stay thus far.
....and yes, I am writing this before I have left because the party jd is keeping me awake!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Attended for a day conference so my review doesn't comment on the room, bar or restaurant only lobby, Starbucks concession and conference facilities and food as well as staff encountered.

First impression driving into car park: this will be a nightmare getting out of later, wasn't wrong.

Reception: dingy dark and dismal decor and despite the Christmas trees not much festive atmosphere. Cant see it could ever have any either in a dark battleship grey area like this, carpet dismal also and looked grubby but that may have just been poor lighting, even ceiling grey albeit lighter than the walls, just. Smiling and friendly lady behind the desk told me where the conference room was. No tv monitor or board to indicate events taking place or location and no signage saying what or where any doors lead to that I could see. Even the man sign on the gents toilet door was the size of a postage stamp literally so god help if you have a visual impairment. The Starbucks was as Starbucks is, staff very good there.

Conference facility: the gothic grey walls, ceiling and grotty looking carpet theme continues so despite spot lights in ceiling it was difficult to read conference papers. The darkness did make it easy to see the projector screen however and the sound system was pretty good so could hear the lecturers well enough. The room size and layout was overall adequate.

Food & drink: like I Say no reflection on anything else as banqueting department food is often different for restaurant food. Average at best, gristly beef in either bourginon or stroganoff couldn't really tell but whatever it was the sauce was nice though. Sandwiches and wraps dry especially the beef ones, very dry and chewy with little flavour. Pizza slices weren't bad if a bit cold and the profiteroles with chocolate sauce were actually nice. At coffee in breaks selection of speciality teas present but strange no green tea despite several herbal varieties. Staff pleasant and efficient, very informal uniform with orangey polo shirts, looked more like handymen or binmen than waiters.

This is the first contact I have ever had with a De Vere hotel and unless an event I wanted to attend was held at one be it this or another in the chain I won't be trying to go back for either business or pleasure.

In conclusion all I can say is make of it what you will, this place seems to have aimed for design flair and ended up with dungeon. first impressions count though and this hotel has done nothing to make me want to return to it or use others in the De Vere village chain.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank G_O_C479
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed the night for the Lionel Ritchie tribute night. Receptionist was lovely & very helpful.
Room was decorated lovely, however considering the colour wS black there wasn't enough lights in the room to accommodate this.
Food was lovely, tribute act was just ok and no on long enough.
Must admit breakfast was poor & quite cold. Waitress cleared our table of coffee etc as we went up to get the food. Bit disappointed really.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jodiea80
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I was in Cardiff for the Wales-South Africa rugby match. Four of us were booked in for two nights. We arrived at 4pm on Friday afternoon and our rooms weren't ready. We sat in the bar until 5 and by then they were ready. The rooms were average, nothing spectacular. The buffet breakfast was good and reception staff were friendly.
We went for breakfast at ten on Sunday morning and when we returned back to the room at 10.40 our key had been cancelled. Check out is 11, disgraceful considering our rooms weren't ready until 5 on the Friday. And then we got locked out of the room twenty minutes before check out time.
The hotel did what it said on the tin but check in and out times annoyed us.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maligo
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Me and my boyfriend went away for the weekend for his birthday, we were pleasantly suprised by the Decor of the bar and the restuarant but other areas were quite worn and tired.

We upgraded to upper deck, which was abit of a rip off, nothing to spectacular however the bed was very comfy. I Also added an extra of bud and bar snacks for the man, one pot of olives and savoury snacks, not worth what I paid. There was no hot water so I had to have a cold shower, never nice.

The waitress in the restuarant was very helpful and polite. I had a burger which was OK at best, however the soup to start was amazing. Breakfast was nice.

Overall a pleasant stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Booked the De Vere online at the inflated rugby price of £122.00 per night ( the normal stay rate non rugby rate is around £75) - anyway , the rooms looked nice and the staff on arrival very friendly. We awoke to find the boilers not working , we where told it would be fixed by 09:00 . 10:00 no hot water , 11:00 no hot water , 12:00 my wife was able to have a luke water shower with no pressure , I in fact used the showers in the gym , where there was hot water .. The rest of the stay was okay , the TV in the room continuously turning it self off and the heating in the room was poor at best . I think this product is a okay , I would use again but please get your boilers checked more regulaly , if we pay a premium price we expect a premium product !!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple