“Christmas lunch - left hungry”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Very disappointed.
Staff were fine but not one bit if christmas cheer between them.
Food was highly disappointing, 2 potatoes, 1/4 of a carrot & parsnip, 8 sprouts & the smallest piece of turkey I have ever had out surrounded by what can only he described as cheap sausage meat. Looks like the village had a bulk order from Iceland stores !!!
When asked for more potatoes we were told that they only had enough for 2 each.
Dessert came out, the smallest piece if bread & butter pudding I have seen, it was more like a canapé.
For £300 this was disgusting, it must have cost them £3 for the entire 2 courses.
No wonder the reviews on here have been bad lately & no comments from a manager either !!!!!
Merry Christmas Village hotel, we won't be back !! Disgusted

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Jodiea80
Write a ReviewReviews (2,674)

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I have been a member in this hotel for a while. Sadly have had the need to complain, which I assumed considering the price I pay for membership would be dealt with in a professional manor. How wrong was I to assume that. So far I have requested a copy of the compaints policy 3 times, been passed to the general manager, sent him 2 emails, 1 email to a general inbox and a follow up phone call to register a complaint. All of which have been ignored. The service provided when sellig to me was excellent, however it would appear there are severe issues here and no one wants to take ownership of the customer experience. Surely how a company deals with feedback is the test and Village Cardiff you have failed.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank mattjmo
Reviewed 11 December 2013

When you see reception staff wearing jeans it does make you wonder what other standards have slipped?? Then you get to your room - a double room has one thin bath towel the other us hidden i. The drawer of a worn out chest of drawers under the TV. The bathroom had soap dispensers nothing else in it. The wardrobe is a hanging rail no doors ..... And this costs more than a luxurious night at The Celtic Manor - Manor house. To top it off we have loud music from a function keeping us awake - it's going on till 1am we are told GREAT!!! They say they do their best to make you feel welcome - honestly they don't they take your money and laugh all the way to the bank'nn

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank plasticpaddyharrow
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is my second trip to Cardiff where I have stayed in the Village and it in most parts has been great. I would recommend the bar food over the restaurants food and the standard of rooms has been great. However the one issue that seems to have cropped up is the functions that go on in the hotel. Playing ridiculously loud music till 1am isn't ideal - especially when a group of you have an exam the next day. Could Reception help? No; we can't be moved and the best they can do is 'ask' the music is turned down which it hasn't been. Poor show at the final hurdle.

Room Tip: Ask to be located as far away from the function room as possible - if they say no look somewhere els...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PJG91
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

The staff are the best we have had in the UK.
Thet were very good with my family my children have special needs they were great with them.

We have returned year after year as it is best place in Cardiff

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

a lovely hotel very clean real friendly staff all with smiles on their faces bar one on the desk when I arrived she let the rest down she was very rude to me for no reason the rest of the staff were lovely we had a lovely room very smart couldn't ask for more will definatly go again

Room Tip: try getting a room at the back less noise as taxies comeing and going but there again I did have the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank may884
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Having stayed at a number of Village hotels, my expectations were high (in particular, Swansea & St David's both excellent hotels).
Reception staff upon arrival, extremely friendly and accommodating.
Had to battle through a horde of people smoking directly outside main entrance when I returned from City (not got it in for smokers! It's just a little unpleasant and doesn't look particularly good for the hotel, in my opinion).
Party night totally scuppers any chance of sleep! Incredibly noisy (I am a heavy sleeper too!), with the bass reverberating.
I hate complaining, but when I rang reception to ask when the event would be finishing, I was informed "at 1am" as though I was being an inconvenience! A lukewarm "sorry" was issued but seemingly no further action or gesture of goodwill is available to staff.
Bathroom well appointed but a little tired, grout very discoloured and underside of shower screen looked like a bacterial warfare cultivation.
Stained sheets and marks on the sofa, battery cover missing on tv remote and soundproofing between rooms is practically non existent! (Either a T-Rex was peeing in the toilet of next room or I have developed surveillance level hearing?!).
I await a, much shorter than planned, nights sleep and the breakfast buffet with anticipation and hope that it goes some way to rectifying the lukewarm stay thus far.
....and yes, I am writing this before I have left because the party jd is keeping me awake!!!

• Stayed: November 2013