“Nice hotel, good location and facilities” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Cardiff

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #20 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
“Nice hotel, good location and facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the De Vere Village Cardiff on business for 1 night on 29/1/14. Hotel is conveniently located off the M4 for Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil and beyond. Facilities were good, with gym, pool, sauna, spa etc. Ate in the on-site pub. Good selection of drinks, food reasonably priced and good quality. I could hear the traffic in my room, but not loud enough to stop me sleeping! Will stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Caerdydd, null, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

This place used to be really nice, but the wheels are slowly coming off. Lack of care to the facilities (takes weeks to fix a lock on the toilets!) and lack of care to the customers, that's why so many are leaving. Shame

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Warrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I booked into the resort for 2 nights in October with my partner and 2 dogs.

I initially tried to book an Upper Deck room but was informed that dogs are not allowed in these more expensive rooms despite the standing charge of £15 per dog per night (£60 total).

I settled for the Standard Room and although not what we wanted, we were generally impressed with the facilities.

On the 2nd day, we came from our room and I realised that the key card lock was faulty. The door wouldn't lock. We sought assistance from the reception team who immediately sent up the Housekeeping Manager. Despite her best efforts, she was unable to remedy the issue and couldn't guarantee a time for an engineers visit. Because we had the 2 dogs with us, we had no choice but to except an alternative room. We moved from room 269 to 256.

Having checked Tripadvisor reviews prior to our stay, I was well aware of the most recent negative reviews from previous guests. As such, I was also aware that checking the mattress was a must:

Room 269 was certainly dirty - But a mattress protector was provided and I found this satisfactory.

Room 256 - Filthy, stained mattress - Not fit to be slept on by humans

I provided my feedback to the hotel directly. Ironically an upgrade to the Upper Deck was provided and because we missed our lunch reservations due to the various problems we had encountered at the hotel, we also received a voucher from Kerry to allow us to eat in the restaurant at the resort.

I do have to say that the service provided by Kerry throughout was top class. She went above and beyond to ensure our comfort before and after my complaint. She is a credit to the hotel.

I did write to the hotel Manager on my return and received a further apology. I did originally suggest that I wouldn't put a response on Trip Advisor, but seeing the most recent poor reviews I have changed my mind - People need to be aware of what this hotel is really like!

Room Tip: Avoid 256 at all costs unless mattress is new! Only Upper Deck rooms are worth the price
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Convenient for the M4,stayed on route to Swansea.Cardiff Central easily accessible by taxi,The hotel itself was clean ,smart ,well run and welcoming.The rooms a good size and very comfortable.Breakfast was excellent.All in all an excellent stay and good value.Didnt use the pool which was a disappointment as full of young children,but I daresay there are times when its adults only.Unfortunately it didn't fit with my schedule

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed Tuesday Wednesday this week 21/22/1/14 whilst running a training course, training facilities excellent in all areas room equipment food etc, However was impressed by this Hotel in general, my room was large comfortable well serviced etc, bed very comfortable etc, service by all staff was top quality, made to feel welcome, nothing was a problem to them, My room was slightly noisy with traffic from the M4, however this was because i had the window open, ask for a room at the rear for total quiet, a very modern hotel with superb entertainment most evenings, this was a nice experiance, very suitable for visiting Cardiff and the area.

Room Tip: Room at the rear due to traffic noise
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Returned having stayed in april 2013. Allocated room 501 which appers to be in the distant annexe. all the floors creak and entering the room it was very cold. another heater arrived but could still not get chill off the room. Therefore requested a change and was allocated room 203. this was much better. Do I think it offers good value,not sure.

Room Tip: try to get a room away from the annex
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

The staff were very helpful and friendly.
They were nice and were asking if there was anything else that they could do to help us.
We asked if we could have the reception area for the 3 room for the wake and they said it is was great.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family