“Average Hotel”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Village Urban Resort Cardiff is a average UK Hotel.
The rooms are clean and have everything you need.
Very good is the Gym which is rather busy.
Also very good is the Pub and the Starbucks.
The staff is helpfull and friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
SChainey_Cardiff, General Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Beat9935

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay particularly our helpful staff and clean comfortable bedrooms, your comments will of course be passed to all the team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Cardiff

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Room was filthy, towels had holes in them, bed was two singles pushed together which kept coming apart, mould in the bathroom, old stains on the wall that had obviously been there for weeks and on a health and safety issue the windows had no safety guards which could of been an issue with children. Staff were accommodating when we complained after first night, we got the upgrade and a bottle of wine but what is worrying that people have complained about this in the past but it keeps happening; not good enough for a brand that promotes a V comfortable stay ! And isn't cheap, you think you would get a better standard. Since returning I have emailed customer services twice giving them the opportunity to reply before posting a negative review but they haven't bothered to reply! We also took photographic evidence of the state of the room and it isn't pretty. Not good customer service and has put me off using chain again, which is a shame as we have used them several times and never had an issue; disappointing !

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Andrea D

Thank you for your email and taking the time to provide your feedback to us.

I sincerely apologise that your stay was not perfect during your recent visit to us. I am sorry to see that the bedroom issues let us down on this occasion. I have spoken to the Housekeeping Manager who also sends her apologies and will rectify the issues immediately, please be assured this is not our normal standard.

I am very happy to see that the issues were dealt with promptly by our reception team and you were offered a complimentary upgrade with wine.

As already discussed with yourself,and by way of an apology we would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade with VIP package for your next stay with us.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review, customer feedback is very important to us and we appreciate your time taken to provide your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked a 3 night stay and then read some of the negative reviews and booked in with some trepidation however my concerns were completely unfounded. The room was warm but a quick call to reception and a fan was delivered within 5 minutes. The room was nicely decorated and had everything we needed. Breakfast was good and the staff were every welcoming and efficient. We made good use of the gym -a real bonus in a hotel I this price range. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending and booking again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacquie B
SChainey_Cardiff, General Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Jacquie B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, please be assured your kind comments have been passed to all the team.

Customer feedback is very important to us and we really appreciate your time taken to provide your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

when on business I use the village hotels often but that is mainly for the gym . I would say it has probably the best gyms for a hotel. The weights area is fantastic dumbell's up to 50Kg, smiths machines and squat rack. This part for a excellent if you want to work out in the evening. Most other gyms in comparison say they have a fully equipped gym buts it's just a knackered running machine and rusty bike in a cupboard, so the village gyms are very good for someone who likes to train while on business. on the down side is the music from the gym starts at around 6:30 which isn't so good.

I spent 2 nights in this hotel last month.
The hotel side is OK, the room was clean a good size but looking a little tired. A big is TV, iron and ironing board. They food is average in the bar area, but the restaurant steak was quite good and in the price rage of £20 per meal. Free WIFI in the room which is good and free parking.

The breakfast wasn't brilliant but the main thing which I find disappointing was I asked for coffee and it was cold and I am fairly certain the lady serving had recycled it for the left overs from the other pots.

prices are average but has great gym

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Baron_Overlord

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, particularly our well equipped gym and leisure facilities.

Thank you for raising the points regarding the breakfast service, please be assured this is not our normal standard and I have discussed the issues with my restaurant manager.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review, customer feedback is very important to us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Absolutely disgusting. Leave happy is their tagline, more like leave Unhappy! When we arrived to check in there was a gypsy wedding in progress in the lobby which was concerning because it was only 3pm and everyone was wasted so what was the hotel going to be like at 3am? Kids were running up and down the halls and when we got to our room it was small, stuffy, hot, dark (black walls?), and old wool quilts on the bed. The bathroom was very industrial. No air conditioning and it was a boiling hot day…that was our own fault that we didn’t read that there wasn’t air conditioning. We went to the front desk to complain and all they could offer was to move to another room but it would be the same so we asked if we could get a refund and we were told no because we were past the deadline to cancel. I said but what if we don’t like the room and they said too bad so we decided to leave anyway. Catch 22, you can't check in till 3 but it was only after checking in that we saw how horrible it was. Unfortunately we booked through expedia for two nights so not only lost that night’s charge but expedia charged us a hefty cancellation fee for the next night too so we had to pretty much pay for 2 nights there even though we walked out after 5 minutes but was well worth it because there is no way we would stay in that hotel. Stay away!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justine C

Dear Justine C

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,

I am sorry that there was a problem with your room and that on this occasion you left the hotel disappointed, please be assured that I am in the process of investigating your comments and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Would you be kind enough to e-mail my Sales Manager Gavin Davies direct so he can discuss the issues raised, his email address is gavin.davies@village-hotels.com.

Customer feedback is very important to us and we appreciate your time taken to write your review, we look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had another fab weekend staying here.....excellent service, love the new restaurant and the menu. Now you can tell the bar is in need of a lick of paint and a refurb. Looking forward to staying again in a couple of weeks.

You get free wifi while staying in the hotel, free car park. Starbucks in the reception area only problem is you can't use your starbucks reward card. Fitness centre is down stairs and is free to use while staying in the hotel. Spar is good and staff are friendly ideally best to pre-book as they get busy quickly.

Bar is good for food/drinks, often use the this and good value for money. There is often sport on top which is a bonus.

We always book a standard room as we go and visit family/friends, however if you upgrade you get water in the room, starbucks coffee, sky sports channels the movies for free, and you sleep in a kings size beds. This is nice for a special occasion.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
SChainey_Cardiff, General Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Louisef87

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us particularly the Verve Restaurant and excellent service received, please be assured your kind comments have been passed to all the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Having never stayed in one of these hotels before we were assured by our friends, who had stayed in several throughout the UK, that they were clean & excellent value.
On arrival I was of a mind to agree as the reception area was very nice & welcoming. Staff were friendly & first impressions good. However our room was less impressive. Quite shabby and dowdy & I couldn't understand why a dirty, dusty, ripped net curtain was considered ok to hang at the window of a hotel? The bathroom was clean enough but had seen better days & I wasn't tempted to take a bath! We then found out our friends room was in the newer "revamped" area of the hotel & their room was fresh & far less prison like. I felt miffed we had been given an inferior room, yet paid the same price?
We booked a table in our first evening & looked forward to a nice meal in the restaurant but quite frankly I feel robbed! We paid atrocious prices on food that was no more than "ok"!
Had I not been so hungry after waiting for 45 minutes to eat, I would have sent my burger (yes only a burger, so nothing fancy) which was dry, with a bit of iceberg lettuce & a few fries, back. The cost of £14.50 was not at all reflective of the standard delivered so I would advise people to save your money & go out to eat in a local pub. Breakfast on the other hand was very nice. My only criticism here would be that the staff serving seemed quite indifferent to the guests, & for people working in hospitality they needed some customer service training.
On a positive note the pool was fab. It saved the day as far as we were concerned.
Would I stay here again? No thanks.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank TheLiftons

Dear TheLiftons

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us.
I am happy to hear that most of your stay was satisfactory, I am sorry to hear the issues with regards to the bedroom, please be assured that I have raised these points with my Housekeeping manager, I have also discussed your Dinner feedback with the Restaurant Manager, and can only apologise for the issues you experienced at this point, please be assured that this is not typically the case.
Please be assured that I have taken all of your comments on board and these have been passed to the teams concerned.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.