“Tired rooms, with not enough staff at breakfast”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #18 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tired rooms, with not enough staff at breakfast”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel whilst visiting family. Firstly, the hotel looked lovely on entering reception. Jeremy who checked us in was lovely and welcoming. A good first impression.

However, things went downhill from there. We were told that the room was on the first floor but getting to it was definitely an experience. The hotel is very disjointed and we had to walk along one corridor, down a single flight of stairs then along another corridor and up another flight of stairs.

The first corridor we passed looked lovely, clean with thick carpets. However, this wasn't our floor. The section of hotel we were in was tired, with the loudest, squeakiest floorboards you have ever heard, even squeaking when turning over in bed. Not great for a light sleeper like myself. There was barely any soundproofing either so if anyone walked along the corridor either outside or above you it was a nightmare.

Breakfast came with our room rate so we made our way down to the restaurant. There are definitely not enough staff for how busy the hotel was on the weekend we were there and the staff were running round like headless chickens. However, they remained cheerful and smiley throughout. The food was of a poor quality with extremely fatty bacon and scrambled eggs that looked green and unedible so I stuck to toast for the duration.

The Village Hotel will definitely not be top of the list for a return visit but should I return I will definitely be paying for the upgrade to "Upper Deck" or asking for a refurbished room.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room or pay for the upgrade to Upper Deck if you can afford it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
SChainey_Cardiff, General Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Dear Vanessa L

Thank you for your recent review and providing your comments regarding your stay.

I am sorry to hear the issues regarding the bedroom and the noise experienced, please be assured I will look at your points immediately and try my best to resolve them. I have also discussed your breakfast feedback with the Restaurant Manager, and can only apologise for the issues you experienced at this point, please be assured that this is not typically the case.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed for 2 nights over the Bank Holiday weekend. Nice room, nice hotel, good breakfast, Starbucks, very happy with the Gym. Very happy with my stay at this hotel.
Good location as near major junction of the M4.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
SChainey_Cardiff, General Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear Kelly B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, please be assured your kind comments have been passed to all the team.

Customer feedback is very important to us and we really appreciate your time taken to provide your feedback.

London
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed here as I had a meeting at the Cardiff Gate Business Park and wanted a hotel with a gym.

It's more than just a hotel; it has a pub and a Starbucks and a full gym within it as well a a restaurant. It's literally on the M4 junction, only one junction from the business park and only a 8 min walk from Coryton station (although there are no signs from the station and I had to rely on google maps with patchy signal) which is 15 mins from Cardiff Central station.

I arrived about 7pm, receptionist was very nice. I then did some work for 90 mins (free wifi) and then went to the gym. Beware, the pub closes for food at 930pm and room service stops at 10pm. I worked out quickly to make room service! The room service menu was a bit confusing; turns out one side is weekday and one is weekend but they fulfilled it anyway even though I ordered something from one side and something from the other.

Room was fine; small but comfortable and with a iron, ironing board, internet cable and desk. Plenty of hangers. TV wasn't working but fixed quick whilst I was in the gym. Bathroom could have been cleaner; counted 2 little black curly hairs (bleugh) in some crevices. Shower was weak.

Biggest issue was noise; the room next to me on one side seemed to bang their door and yell at each other constantly for about an hour from 10pm. Goodness knows what they were doing. They were so loud I could hear them over my TV. I nearly went and spoke to them. It always amazes me as a regular traveller that hotels do not remind their guests to be mindful of other guests peace and to be quiet and respectful.

All in all, ok.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear cherryblossomfeet
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide your comments, customer feedback is very important to us.
We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again soon.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is clean and modern with good leisure facilities.
I had read some reviews complaining of noise, but it was quiet when we stayed.
We thought the pool area and gym were very good, I have been a member at Village Walsall for 4 years and the lockers and facilities there are very poor compared to Cardiff.
We were not overly impressed with the evening menu in the Victory, if you break the menu down and just look at the main courses, we felt it was very limited on choice and would have liked to have seen more variety with potatoes rather than fries/chips.
We did take a look at the Viceroy menu and that did not impress either.
The breakfast was pretty standard, but again would have preferred more choice, there is the usual cereal, fruit and hot choices but would have loved some cheese & ham.
If you love roast dinners, there is a very good carvery within a 5/6 minute walk, with all you can eat for £3.59.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and are staying again next week, as our company as booked us into the same hotel, maybe it will mean a few meals out to fulfil our taste buds!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear 1davo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay especially the leisure facilities, I am very sorry to hear that the food menu wasn't to your liking and you found the breakfast choices disappointing, please be assured that your comments have been discussed with my Restaurant Manager.
Switzerland
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

The Village Urban Resort Cardiff is a average UK Hotel.
The rooms are clean and have everything you need.
Very good is the Gym which is rather busy.
Also very good is the Pub and the Starbucks.
The staff is helpfull and friendly.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SChainey_Cardiff, General Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Beat9935

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay particularly our helpful staff and clean comfortable bedrooms, your comments will of course be passed to all the team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Room was filthy, towels had holes in them, bed was two singles pushed together which kept coming apart, mould in the bathroom, old stains on the wall that had obviously been there for weeks and on a health and safety issue the windows had no safety guards which could of been an issue with children. Staff were accommodating when we complained after first night, we got the upgrade and a bottle of wine but what is worrying that people have complained about this in the past but it keeps happening; not good enough for a brand that promotes a V comfortable stay ! And isn't cheap, you think you would get a better standard. Since returning I have emailed customer services twice giving them the opportunity to reply before posting a negative review but they haven't bothered to reply! We also took photographic evidence of the state of the room and it isn't pretty. Not good customer service and has put me off using chain again, which is a shame as we have used them several times and never had an issue; disappointing !

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Andrea D

Thank you for your email and taking the time to provide your feedback to us.

I sincerely apologise that your stay was not perfect during your recent visit to us. I am sorry to see that the bedroom issues let us down on this occasion. I have spoken to the Housekeeping Manager who also sends her apologies and will rectify the issues immediately, please be assured this is not our normal standard.

I am very happy to see that the issues were dealt with promptly by our reception team and you were offered a complimentary upgrade with wine.

As already discussed with yourself,and by way of an apology we would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade with VIP package for your next stay with us.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review, customer feedback is very important to us and we appreciate your time taken to provide your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I booked a 3 night stay and then read some of the negative reviews and booked in with some trepidation however my concerns were completely unfounded. The room was warm but a quick call to reception and a fan was delivered within 5 minutes. The room was nicely decorated and had everything we needed. Breakfast was good and the staff were every welcoming and efficient. We made good use of the gym -a real bonus in a hotel I this price range. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending and booking again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jacquie B
SChainey_Cardiff, General Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Jacquie B