“Worth a visit”

Caban Cardiff
Ranked #110 of 1,275 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$15 - US$23
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Canteen on Clifton Street in Cardiff is a fun and lively restaurant with fresh and inspiring fare. The down-to-earth dining room, with tiled floors and wood-panelled walls, is well-known for its vegetarian-based menu, and is the perfect place for dinners and parties with friends who are vegans, vegetarians and/or omnivores. The kitchen at Canteen on Clifton Street takes inspiration from Mexican and Mediterranean traditions, and the menu changes every fortnight. Favourite dishes include the Arabian spiced lamb with cardamom, pistachio and apricot rice; curried parsnip and mango soup; Lebanese spinach parcels with carrot and beetroot salad; and their famous vegan sticky toffee pudding. The chefs at Canteen are also happy to create bespoke meals.
Reviewed 20 April 2014

A very enjoyable meal with friends, would strongly recommend the Canteen. Three courses were very well priced, tasty with good table service.

1  Thank Bruto123

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I'm a regular at Canteen, I love it there and try to go every month or so to sample the each new menu. The atmosphere is homely, friendly and informal, which I love.

The menu is small but ever changing, home-made, based around what is in season, and the focus is on doing fewer dishes well.

I'm a vegetarian, my other half is a carnivore, and we have friends who are vegan and lactose intolerant. It's really nice to half a place where we can all eat together with no fuss and nonsense, and without the 'chef' having to read the packet (as has happened in other venues).

There's a small but very friendly group of staff, who genuinely want everyone to have a enjoyable meal.

You need to book as this is a small restaurant and only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, but it's definitely worth the effort of making a reservation.

1  Thank Cardifflassie
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Booked a table for four which consisted of 3 meat eaters but everyone opted for the vegetarian choices. I usually have to ask for tap water in restaurants, so it was a welcome surprise when we were given a jug of iced water soon after being seated.

We ordered 3 different main courses, and when the food arrived you could see why the menu is limited. The focus is on producing good food using fresh produce (quality) not loads of different dishes using processed/frozen foods (quantity), allowing you to taste and savour each mouthful.

The waiter was very pleasant, but he could have done with some more training on how to wait tables as he whipped away my plate without checking with me whether I had finished. (I got up from my seat to let someone out, there was still food on my plate and the cutlery wasn't placed in the "finished" position.)

I read that the menu changes often, which is a shame as the risotto was amazing! However I'm sure that I'll be able to find something else which is just as good.

1  Thank Viv790
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I went with my friends to experience something new and we were not disappointed! The food and service was top class! Don't judge this place by its cover as else you will miss out on the lovely range of goodies inside!

2  Thank Ozswain
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Loved this place. A little rustic, but what it lacked in style was made up by the food. A great fixed menu (17.50 for 3 courses) which catered for both my coeliac partner and my dairy intolerance.

I would highly recommend this place, but book as you wont be able to get in if you don't