“Canteen......Give it a go you will be surprised.”
Review of Caban Cardiff

Caban Cardiff
Ranked #12 of 1,327 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$16 - US$24
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Canteen on Clifton Street in Cardiff is a fun and lively restaurant with fresh and inspiring fare. The down-to-earth dining room, with tiled floors and wood-panelled walls, is well-known for its vegetarian-based menu, and is the perfect place for dinners and parties with friends who are vegans, vegetarians and/or omnivores. The kitchen at Canteen on Clifton Street takes inspiration from Mexican and Mediterranean traditions, and the menu changes every fortnight. Favourite dishes include the Arabian spiced lamb with cardamom, pistachio and apricot rice; curried parsnip and mango soup; Lebanese spinach parcels with carrot and beetroot salad; and their famous vegan sticky toffee pudding. The chefs at Canteen are also happy to create bespoke meals.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is my honest opinion of the Canteen.

We booked a table on the day and the owner was great in coming back with a confirmation and allowing us to alter the numbers at last minute. This was our first visit to the Canteen and from the outside it looks basic but reading the reviews and hearing good reports we thought we would try it out as a family. Clifton Street hasn't changed much over the years but the Canteen was a real surprise. The inside is basic but if good food, good service and great value is your goal when eating out, then you have struck gold. The menu is limited (3-4 items per course) but changes each month and what is on the menu is very, very good. I tried the Italian Pie and the flavours were great....meat is also on the menu.....not just vegetarian food. You can also BYO but they sell wine and beers as well. So, value...well table of 5 with 3 courses and a couple of drinks....£90. Great value and great food. If you fancy a night out and not bothered with all of the fuss but just want to eat a decent meal and enjoy the food.......This is about as good as anything that I have tried and we will go back again. Canteen is all about the food. Nice job Canteen.

1  Thank SJ262013

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Proof, I'm afraid, that TripAdvisor ratings can be distorted and misleading.

For our wedding anniversary I searched for the best restaurants in South Wales that had been rated as "romantic". DeCourseys hardly ever open the restaurant to public dining due to functions, but the Canteen on Clifton Street was next best - so I booked it.

Bad call. Despite reports to the contrary, Clifton Street is still a dump. We drove past the restaurant at first because the outside is covered in scaffolding and you can't see the name.

Once inside (at least we could park outside) we were in little more than a cafe. The title "Canteen" is not ironic - it's accurate. The menu had a choice of three starters and four mains, all but one of which was vegetarian. So the reports saying there are meat options is inaccurate: there was one.

The waitress seated us and then proceeded to sit back on her chair at the pass and finish her own dinner. We had to get up from our table to attract her attention. We required her attention to tell her that we wouldn't be staying.

Or returning.

Whoever rated this as a Romantic option has problems! Give it a miss.

5  Thank AberMez
wayne t, Owner at Caban Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2014

Hi abermez

Thank you for your comments, they were very helpful. I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience when you came to the restaurant but would like to point out that the fault for that lies strictly with you. You could obviously be bothered to check trip advisor but you could have clicked on the link to our website. There you would have found a front page that says that we can be a bit noisy but not in no way where do we claim to be a romantic destination. Of course, others may disagree because romance comes from within not from surroundings surely. The scaffolding was something that we could not avoid but it in no way affects the taste of the food' which you chose not to taste, by leaving. The fact that the staff enjoyed their food should be taken as a recommendation. So thank you for an incomplete review, as you will see from those that ate the food, that is what they like and why they come back.

wayne

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have been looking for a new favourite restaurant and I think I may have found it>
The food and service were excellent. The best veg restaurant I have found to date.
The menu is limited but good.
We were both fed and watered for £47 great price and great food.
Did notice a few people taking in their own wine so I think you can do that also.

2  Thank fatbarman60
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Ate there with my son last night and really impressed with the quality and value of the food.

Slight note of caution- I had gathered from the website that this is a vegan/vegetarian restaurant. In fact they merely offer these as options and also have a carnivore friendly option. So when I was eating the fabada astonished at how much like chorizo the chorizo was this is because it WAS chorizo. Not a problem for me but if I was a committed vegetarian I would certainly have wished i had read the menu more carefully. As it is the veggie options are really delicious and I would have stuck to these if I had paid more attention.

There is a reference to expensive drinks. Worth noting that they are happy for you to BYO - though for wine only.

The place looks very unprepossessing from the outside. In fact it looks slightly as if it has been ram raided! Don't be put off. You will have a great time and be served by pleasant and attentive staff. A real gem.

1  Thank Plantmeingarden
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Great food and reasonably priced. Drinks were expensive. Staff were courteous and helpful and didnt mind us being there long after our meals were finished. Would go again

1  Thank goonerfan1986