“Disgusting!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Meridian Terrace Serviced Apartments
Kingston Upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Disgusting!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2009

I had lots of problems during my stay in this apartment, which I reported to Sian Reynolds and she promised me someone whould contact me soon and talk about what had happened (refused to give me phone number to someone who would deal with my complaints though).
We checked in to studio (although it was 14.20, no receptionist there), where we shortly discovered the toilet was not clean and cooker also showed no signs of cleaning. Dust everywhere. I called Sian and she moved us to another studio, which supposed to be "spotless". The problem repeated: dirty, disgusting toilet and dust. I was furious, but I made decision to clean it myself as I thought that it was the same housekeeper who "cleaned" all the rooms, so there will be no difference between them all. Not until late (around midnight, when we were going to sleep) we found out that also linens were not changed and were stained with period!!! The sheet was crushed, which was yet another proof housekeeper did not bother to change it!!! On top of that there was no hot water, so we could not take a shower! Nobody turned the hot water on before our arrival and there was instruction anywhere for us to help ourselves (also no clear sign on the switch, which one turns the hot water on). Next day (my partner's birthday!) we were both without shower, very upset, going on out trip outside Cardiff. We called Sian and she promised to turn the water on for us. When we came back, the water was not hot, but only very warm - I tried to take a shower and after 5 minutes ended up rinsing myself with freezing cold water!!! And there was no hairdryer in the studio! Next day we complained again, Sian came over and showed us where was the switch and promised the hot water would be ready "in couple of minutes". 2 hours it took us to get properly hot water under shower. I would like to highlight that they call themselves 4* apartments (no hairdryer?!!).The last thing: they tried to charge me for the apartment before arrival using my card details which were used by me only for booking! That attempt was not authorized!

After coming back home I sent an e-mail to Max Hotels, which Meridian Apartments are part of and got most disgusting and twisted answer back: Mr Murad Vassib made me a liar, who messed up everything herself and now was trying to pull them for some money! I was "kindly" offered next stay half price!!!
I am very easy-going person and I hate complaining, but my short stay in Cardiff was a total hell! I had only problems during my stay in that studio and I wanted financial recompensaton for what has happened to me. They destroyed my experience of staying in Wales for very important occasion - and this is what makes me really angry and disappointed...

P.S. For some reason the webside I booked this apartment through did not publish my review...

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Aventuryn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

We recently stayed at your Cardiff Meridian Terrace Project. Upon arrival to our room, all thermostats in every room were set to 25'. The heat was unbearable as you can imagine. We immediately tried to open the balcony doors to get some fresh air and also attempted to turn the thermostats down. There was no keys for the balcony doors, nor was there any instructions in the apartment for the thermostats. My wife suffers from asthma and at this point was really struggling to breathe. We had no option but to call the out of hours mobile which was in the possession of your employee, Sian. We made 10 calls over the duration of 80 minutes, none of which was answered. She did make one attempt to call us back, let it ring once then immediately disconnected the call. We rang back immediately within seconds, but again; our call was ignored.

We eventually received a text! This came from Sian saying there was nothing she could do to help us as she didn't have the keys to the balcony. I then rang her again, and again she ignored the call.

My wife suffered 2 asthma attacks on the friday night as a result of the poor ventilation in the apartment. This trip was part of our honeymoon, where we are traveling around the UK and Europe visiting relatives. Our stay at your apartment was extremely distressing for both of us, my wife in particular. Can I also say that the balcony keys miraculously appeared the next day so Sian obviously did have access to them but chose not to provide them to us on the friday as it was outside of normal working hours!! My wife and I both thank you for that Sian.

When my wife spoke to Sian the next morning asking for a contact name or number where we could send a complaint to, Sian refused to supply one; saying that she would discuss it with her manager. Is this normal practice?? To refuse to provide a point of contact for a complaint? If it is, ,may I say that this is an appalling practice and gives licence to your employees to behave in any way they see fit.

I would like to ask for compensation for our distressing experience, also the lack of empathy from your staff. (When my wife said that she wished to make a complaint, Sian told her that her mobile number was for emergencies only!!) Where exactly do you rate your guests being unable to breathe and having asthma attacks on your scale of emergencies?

If you do consider offering compensation, please could you do us the decency of NOT offering us another stay at one of your hotels! I have never experienced such unprofessional customer service in my life as we experienced from Sian.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank AnthonyWalesSurrey

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels