“Truly outstanding, premium B&B at great rates.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Farlan House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cardiff
Farlan House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 45 Cardiff B&B and Inns
“Truly outstanding, premium B&B at great rates.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

Just a short note to say thank you for accommodating me over the past few nights in your wonderful guesthouse - you keep a beautiful, welcoming home.  If I need to stay again, I'll be sure to give you a call!
The entire house is beautifully appointed, each bedroom is wonderfully furnished in a classic, timeless finish and the bathrooms are immaculate, again finished to such a high standard. The beds are fresh & clean and wonderfully comfortable. Kathy is a very accommodating host and will go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure her guests are well cared for, and are never without anything they need.
5 Star Rating: ★★★★★

• Stayed April 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

This is without doubt the best Bed and Breakfast I have ever stayed in. The house itself is beautifully decorated throughout. The double room I stayed in was tasteful and quiet I had a wonderful nights sleep every night.
The landlady is a pleasure to talk too, very helpful and informative, nothing is too much trouble.
The breakfast deserves a review page of its own magnificent... about sums it up.
I have already recommend this B & B to friends and colleagues.
If you want to stay in or near Cardiff this has got to be the place..... Many thanks

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

We spent two nights at Farlan House - we were over for a hiking holiday and Cardiff was our first stop. Kathy, the hostess, could not have been more accommodating. She took wonderful care of us, cooked delicious breakfasts and was a gold mine of information. She even popped in a load of laundry for us :) The pretty bedroom was clean and comfortable, and had a great bed which certainly helped us get over our jet-lag! I gave a slightly lower "mark" for location as we did not have a car - it is actually in Llandough, which seemed to be more of a suburb outside Cardiff itself, but the train station was only a 10-minute walk away and there was a good little pub down the street.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

We've just returned from two nights at Farlan House and felt we had to say what a lovely stay we had. Kathy, the owner, was very welcoming and cooked us a delicious breakfast each morning. Our room was well decorated and full of lovely antiques. There was plenty of storage space (lots of coat-hangers) with tea, coffee and bottled water always available. We really felt it was a home from home and as good as any B&B we've stayed in. The location was ideal for us and we look forward to visiting again in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

I had arranged for my husband to go white water rafting so Farlan House was very conveniently located for the facility. We booked for two nights, on arrival Kathy was very friendly and made us a cup of tea. I was looking forward to seeing our room as the pictures on the website made them look very nice indeed. I was disappointed to find them more than a little shabby and in need of some redecoration, it seems the camera does lie, The bed was comfortable but was propped up by a pile of books in the middle and the carpet could do with a spot clean if not replacing. The old scarf and box of miscellanous bits (as mentioned in a previous review) were still there (not nice) and there were cake crumbs on the tea stand (not ours!). I didn't fancy making tea as I worried the water would have to come from the bathroom and this wouldn't be from the mains but the tank plus the plug socket would have to be reached for by crawling under the tv stand. (Call me fussy if you will!) Kathy herself was always friendly and gave us directions to Cardiff Bay, she even offered to drive us that evening in case we wanted to have a drink and get a taxi back, very kind. There are two bathrooms, as we were one of only two couples staying that weekend we each had a bathroom to ourselves which totally overcame the lack of an en suite, the bathroom was in good order and very clean. Breakfast was a cheerful affair with Kathy and the other couple making entertaining conversation and the food being of good standard, but I really don't appreciate the pet cat clawing at my chair whist I am trying to eat. I am not a lover of cats anyway so was put off my breakfast by the cat walking all over the kitchen surfaces and sniffing around the top of the cooker hob. This simply isn't hygenic! I did find the place welcoming but would have liked it to be cleaner and in a better state of repair, with no cat!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Pembrokeshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

I'll skip over the awkward atmosphere that arose after there was some confusion on the landlady's part about my booking and stick to the facts:

Arrived late afternoon on sunday, room looked nice, clean lovely bed and antique furniture. However, I had one teabag, and 5 green tea bags, but no spoon. Over the 3 days I stayed at Farlan House this was never rectified, nor was the tea replenished. When I tried to put my clothes away I found all of the hangers on the bottom of the wardrobe, a random magazine and an old scarf. In the cupboard I found a box for an airgun containing an old pair of converse, russian money, an old wallet, a book about being manly plus strepsils, contact lenses, hair clippers and a bicylcle repair kit. I managed to fill my small bin with the two bottles of water supplied on the first night. My door could not be locked from the outside, meaning my belongings were unprotected while I was out, and the friend I stayed with didn't have a lock on the inside of their room either.

The next day while I was out the bed was made, but the bin wasn't emptied. Water was replensihed and subsequently drank. That evening I used a glass for orange juice, and the teapot and cup for the one teabag. Also, the only socket for the kettle is behind the television, meaning you have to boil the kettle in a different place to where you make the tea! Plus, there was no milk in the room, and I bought my own, but this went off.

The next day, the bed was not made at all, my bin overflowed into a carrier bag, my towels had nowhere to dry properly, I discovered by searching for a cat that entered my room that my bed was supported by a stack of books, the dirty cup and glass remained in place, and I still had no teaspoon or more tea. I didn't get any more water either. I was still paying the £40 a night, same as the previous nights, so why the change? I asked the landlady if i needed to bring my dishes down and remove my own rubbish, hoping this would prompt her into giving the room a once over, but she only took the dirty cup and glass, and didn't do anything else. There were 3 opportunities each day to enter my room as I was visiting my fiance who had a serious operation each day, so the lady had plenty of time to enter my room, but simply told me she just hadn't been up there. In that time I'd seen her watching t.v. and making dresses at a sewing machine. Even after the prompting there was a two hour opportunity while I was over at the hospital. Returning late in the evening after seeing a poorly loved one and finding a dirty room is very disheartening.

There was no offer of any kind of transport, despite her knowing we were public transport reliant, and I also asked about bus services, to which she was oblivious, stating that she goes everywhere in a car.

I feel the proprietor has become complacent as the only B&B in Llandough, and has let her standards slip. She's a nice lady, and I really don't want to complain, but I had such an awful stay on top of an already stressful situation that I feel I need to let her, and other people, know what it was like.

Also, the landlady did tell me she was registered with TripAdvisor, which may explain the other much more positive reviews (especially the first one).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DanVsScroob
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

I recently stayed at Farlan House with 2 friends. Cardiff was fully booked due to the rugby being on as well as a Stereophonics concert, but Kathy gave up her own room so that we had a place to stay. Farlan House was close to Cardiff Stadium and Kathy was kind enough to drop us to the venue!! Kathy cooked us an amazing full English breakfast on Sunday morning and we were all sad to leave. Kathy was friendly, full of handy tips about travelling in the area and made us feel completely at home. I can't wait to stay at Farlan House again!

Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends