“Really gorgeous rooms but inconvenient location.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cardiff
Farlan House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 46 Cardiff B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Really gorgeous rooms but inconvenient location.”
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Let's start with the good points.

The rooms are gorgeous - have a look at my photos. Some B&Bs can be quite basic but goodness me, the rooms at Farlan House are tastefully decorated and the beds are wonderfully comfortable. I had a wonderful night's sleep.

The location however, is a double-edged sword. Cardiff has a reputation to be a party town and many of the hotels and B&Bs in the city centre are either near a pub, over a pub or has a function/event hall that can be used as a venue for a party. You're never too far from a party any night of the week in central Cardiff and whilst I'm no prude, I value the quality of my sleep! Farlan House is out in a very, very quiet residential neighbourhood which means you will get a very peaceful night and when you awake in the morning - you can see the sheep in the fields nearby. Just the kind of peaceful night I like!

However, being this far out away from central Cardiff (2.5 miles as the crow flies) means that if you do not have your own car, you're stuffed when it comes to public transport. The trains are infrequent, especially on weekends and the buses are even worse. Well, it's hardly Kathy's fault that public transport in Cardiff is not as regular as say somewhere like London, where you can expect far more frequent train and bus services for a suburb just 2.5 miles from the city centre. She would claim "I'm just over a mile as the crow flies to Cardiff Bay" - yes Kathy, but I am not a bird, I don't have wings and I don't fancy walking a mile to Cardiff Bay, which means I am still stuck with the infrequent, inadequate public transport system of Cardiff. But just be warned, if you do stay @ Farlan House, make sure you get a copy of the train and bus time tables before you go, so your journey there and back is smoother and you don't spend ages waiting for a train or bus. Like I said, you can't blame Kathy for Cardiff's inadequate public transport and if you have your own car, this would not be a factor at all.

PS. Kathy has her own car and like most drivers, probably hasn't taken a bus in a long time - so she doesn't really appreciate how awful the public bus service is in her neck of the woods.

Kathy the host was very kind - I had booked a double room but when I told her that my partner had to leave at 6 am and I was intending to sleep till 9 am, she allowed us to have two separate rooms so my partner would not disturb me at 6 am when he got up. The breakfast was good and this is certainly one of the nicest B&Bs I've stayed in. Shame about Cardiff's woefully inadequate public transport system - that was the only thing that spoiled my stay there. Getting there was a pain, getting back into town was more pain ...

The only let down was the lack of Welsh channels on TV - hello, we're in Wales? How come I can't get S4C on the TV in the room? Some of us do speak Welsh you know.

Would I stay there again? I am tempted as it's a lovely B&B and as long as I arm myself with the bus and train timetables (you were warned, they are so infrequent!!), I should be okay. Spending 40 minutes waiting for the next train in the rain at Cogan station for the train back into town was downright unpleasant!

Room Tip: The rooms are all very nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I stayed at Farlan House whilst working in Cardiff and will definitely be back! The first thing you appreciate is the warm friendly welcome and the relaxed atmosphere. My room was great, REALLY comfy bed, brand new TV with all the freeview channels, WIFI and the bathroom is fantastic - especially the roll top bath! It's handy; near the main routes into into Cardiff, Cardiff Bay and Penarth, it's lovely and quiet and I slept really well. The breakfast is delicious and cooked to order (a really good selection of things on offer)
Why would you stay in an overpriced hotel chain, when you have hotel quality and home comforts, not to mention breakfast and free wifi, something you have to pay extra for in most of the hotel/motel chains I would rather stay here, Great value for money, comfort and as somebody who spends 2/3 of their working year staying in Hotels and B&B's; Farlan House is up there in the VERY best of them!

Derby
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Lovely breakfast, nice room, decent pub down the road, hideously overcharged. Such a shame. I'll have to be back in Cardiff quite a lot over the next few months but it won't be at Farlan House

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2011

What a great little B&B. Plenty of individual touches that reflect Kathy's approach and instantly make you feel at home. The room was clean and well thought out and breakfast was fresh, hot and tasty.
Simply put I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this B&B to anyone.
Thanks Kathy for a lovely stay

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
farlanhouse, Owner at Farlan House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Thank you so much for your review, it is very much appreciated.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, I just like my guests to feel very much at home.
Guests, like yourselves make running a bed and breakfast business worthwhile.
Take care
Kathy
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I only stayed for a night on bussiness but will be going back for pleasure with wife and kids.A great location at just under 3 miles from cardiff town centre,i found Kath the owner or this b&b very friendly and helpful.The propertie itself has character and was very clean and well presented.I look foward to visiting Kath and her breakfast again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I look forward to meeting your family, should you be in the area again.
Regards
Kathy
Burton on Trent
Reviewed 13 August 2011

nice location nice rooms good food very friendly would go back

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
farlanhouse, Owner at Farlan House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
To DRPBurton
Thanks for the review, if ever you are in the area again, I would welcome you to Farlan House
Take care
Reviewed 28 July 2011

What a gem of a place. Few mins to the bay and city centre.

The owner is lovely and very friendly. The rooms and bathrooms are lovely. Breakfast very tasty although we were a bit green around the gills as it was the morning after the night before.

I don't feedback after overnight stays, but felt compelled to do so on this occasion. We will be back. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2011