“Friendly B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cardiff
Farlan House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 47 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Booked this based on the website and trip advisor reviews. Kathy was a very nice lady and the bedroom and breakfast were fine. I did sort of expect the bedroom to be en-suite, not sure why, but there were 2 nice bathrooms for the 3 guest bedrooms to share (think our friends were a bit disappointed in no en-suite), perhaps the website should state this. The place was a little quirky, old furniture and sloping floors but I feel it needed a slightly better clean for a £70 per night price tag, although the bedding was crispy clean and a very comfortable sleep. Tea/coffee in the room but you need to ask for milk, and for a hairdryer too. It didn't bother me but there were no locks on the bedroom doors...it may bother some people. Also some info in the room on places to visit/eat would be good. (I recommend La Marina in Penarth Marina for a great meal). Lacks a little kerb appeal and parking is a little tight for more than 2 vehicles. Kathy has a cat and beautiful Lab puppy ..I loved Dubs.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Happened across this fabulous b&b while looking for somewhere to stay on for a brief trip to Cardiff. Ideally located within 1.5 miles from Cardiff Bay it was in easy reach from the train station and the centre. Beautifully decorated, the room was far more then expected for a very reasonable rate. The fluffy bathrobes were a wonderful touch. Kathy couldn't have been more accommodating and even gave me a lift into town that evening in her cool VW campervan! Breakfast was delicious. Personally, I wouldn't bother staying anywhere else when travelling to Cardiff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I have stayed with Kathy many many times and it's always been a lovely experience. Rooms are clean, comfortable and have TV and Tea/Coffee making facilities. The beds are great in every room (I have stayed in most) and there is no noise pollution so I have always had a good sleep.

Breakfast has never once been less than amazing and Kathy is always happy to go the extra mile. Her cooked breakfast is delicious!

Nothing bad to say about Farlan House. The place is brilliant value and Kathy is a marvellous and considerate host.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2013

very good service and the breakfast and the beds are comfortable EXCELLENT! very recommended and also very friendly cat there called bb.there is a choice of shower or bath good to place to park car good taxis and exellent choice for breakfast very helpful and friendly :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Friendly welcome, fantastic rooms and an awesome breakfast all for good value. I would recommend this B and B to anyone wanting to visit the area. Not only did we receive a cuppa on arrival but we were also offered a lift into Cardiff which was most appreciated. For those who want a bath or shower you have a choice of either and the mattress was one of the most comfy sleeps i've had at a B & B....

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Only stayed for one night and it's great as it's so close to the hospital I was going to. It had a very welcoming and friendly owner. It felt like home from home and was very comfortable. I felt it was very good value for money. Loved the resident cat! The owner couldn't have been more helpful even offering to post letters for me and to drive me into town. Good pub just a few doors away though so didn't need to go any further to eat. Lovely breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Cheryl C
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Let's start with the good points.

The rooms are gorgeous - have a look at my photos. Some B&Bs can be quite basic but goodness me, the rooms at Farlan House are tastefully decorated and the beds are wonderfully comfortable. I had a wonderful night's sleep.

The location however, is a double-edged sword. Cardiff has a reputation to be a party town and many of the hotels and B&Bs in the city centre are either near a pub, over a pub or has a function/event hall that can be used as a venue for a party. You're never too far from a party any night of the week in central Cardiff and whilst I'm no prude, I value the quality of my sleep! Farlan House is out in a very, very quiet residential neighbourhood which means you will get a very peaceful night and when you awake in the morning - you can see the sheep in the fields nearby. Just the kind of peaceful night I like!

However, being this far out away from central Cardiff (2.5 miles as the crow flies) means that if you do not have your own car, you're stuffed when it comes to public transport. The trains are infrequent, especially on weekends and the buses are even worse. Well, it's hardly Kathy's fault that public transport in Cardiff is not as regular as say somewhere like London, where you can expect far more frequent train and bus services for a suburb just 2.5 miles from the city centre. She would claim "I'm just over a mile as the crow flies to Cardiff Bay" - yes Kathy, but I am not a bird, I don't have wings and I don't fancy walking a mile to Cardiff Bay, which means I am still stuck with the infrequent, inadequate public transport system of Cardiff. But just be warned, if you do stay @ Farlan House, make sure you get a copy of the train and bus time tables before you go, so your journey there and back is smoother and you don't spend ages waiting for a train or bus. Like I said, you can't blame Kathy for Cardiff's inadequate public transport and if you have your own car, this would not be a factor at all.

PS. Kathy has her own car and like most drivers, probably hasn't taken a bus in a long time - so she doesn't really appreciate how awful the public bus service is in her neck of the woods.

Kathy the host was very kind - I had booked a double room but when I told her that my partner had to leave at 6 am and I was intending to sleep till 9 am, she allowed us to have two separate rooms so my partner would not disturb me at 6 am when he got up. The breakfast was good and this is certainly one of the nicest B&Bs I've stayed in. Shame about Cardiff's woefully inadequate public transport system - that was the only thing that spoiled my stay there. Getting there was a pain, getting back into town was more pain ...

The only let down was the lack of Welsh channels on TV - hello, we're in Wales? How come I can't get S4C on the TV in the room? Some of us do speak Welsh you know.

Would I stay there again? I am tempted as it's a lovely B&B and as long as I arm myself with the bus and train timetables (you were warned, they are so infrequent!!), I should be okay. Spending 40 minutes waiting for the next train in the rain at Cogan station for the train back into town was downright unpleasant!

Room Tip: The rooms are all very nice.