“Did the job!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cardiff
Farlan House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 45 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Did the job!”
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I had arranged for my husband to go white water rafting so Farlan House was very conveniently located for the facility. We booked for two nights, on arrival Kathy was very friendly and made us a cup of tea. I was looking forward to seeing our room as the pictures on the website made them look very nice indeed. I was disappointed to find them more than a little shabby and in need of some redecoration, it seems the camera does lie, The bed was comfortable but was propped up by a pile of books in the middle and the carpet could do with a spot clean if not replacing. The old scarf and box of miscellanous bits (as mentioned in a previous review) were still there (not nice) and there were cake crumbs on the tea stand (not ours!). I didn't fancy making tea as I worried the water would have to come from the bathroom and this wouldn't be from the mains but the tank plus the plug socket would have to be reached for by crawling under the tv stand. (Call me fussy if you will!) Kathy herself was always friendly and gave us directions to Cardiff Bay, she even offered to drive us that evening in case we wanted to have a drink and get a taxi back, very kind. There are two bathrooms, as we were one of only two couples staying that weekend we each had a bathroom to ourselves which totally overcame the lack of an en suite, the bathroom was in good order and very clean. Breakfast was a cheerful affair with Kathy and the other couple making entertaining conversation and the food being of good standard, but I really don't appreciate the pet cat clawing at my chair whist I am trying to eat. I am not a lover of cats anyway so was put off my breakfast by the cat walking all over the kitchen surfaces and sniffing around the top of the cooker hob. This simply isn't hygenic! I did find the place welcoming but would have liked it to be cleaner and in a better state of repair, with no cat!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I'll skip over the awkward atmosphere that arose after there was some confusion on the landlady's part about my booking and stick to the facts:

Arrived late afternoon on sunday, room looked nice, clean lovely bed and antique furniture. However, I had one teabag, and 5 green tea bags, but no spoon. Over the 3 days I stayed at Farlan House this was never rectified, nor was the tea replenished. When I tried to put my clothes away I found all of the hangers on the bottom of the wardrobe, a random magazine and an old scarf. In the cupboard I found a box for an airgun containing an old pair of converse, russian money, an old wallet, a book about being manly plus strepsils, contact lenses, hair clippers and a bicylcle repair kit. I managed to fill my small bin with the two bottles of water supplied on the first night. My door could not be locked from the outside, meaning my belongings were unprotected while I was out, and the friend I stayed with didn't have a lock on the inside of their room either.

The next day while I was out the bed was made, but the bin wasn't emptied. Water was replensihed and subsequently drank. That evening I used a glass for orange juice, and the teapot and cup for the one teabag. Also, the only socket for the kettle is behind the television, meaning you have to boil the kettle in a different place to where you make the tea! Plus, there was no milk in the room, and I bought my own, but this went off.

The next day, the bed was not made at all, my bin overflowed into a carrier bag, my towels had nowhere to dry properly, I discovered by searching for a cat that entered my room that my bed was supported by a stack of books, the dirty cup and glass remained in place, and I still had no teaspoon or more tea. I didn't get any more water either. I was still paying the £40 a night, same as the previous nights, so why the change? I asked the landlady if i needed to bring my dishes down and remove my own rubbish, hoping this would prompt her into giving the room a once over, but she only took the dirty cup and glass, and didn't do anything else. There were 3 opportunities each day to enter my room as I was visiting my fiance who had a serious operation each day, so the lady had plenty of time to enter my room, but simply told me she just hadn't been up there. In that time I'd seen her watching t.v. and making dresses at a sewing machine. Even after the prompting there was a two hour opportunity while I was over at the hospital. Returning late in the evening after seeing a poorly loved one and finding a dirty room is very disheartening.

There was no offer of any kind of transport, despite her knowing we were public transport reliant, and I also asked about bus services, to which she was oblivious, stating that she goes everywhere in a car.

I feel the proprietor has become complacent as the only B&B in Llandough, and has let her standards slip. She's a nice lady, and I really don't want to complain, but I had such an awful stay on top of an already stressful situation that I feel I need to let her, and other people, know what it was like.

Also, the landlady did tell me she was registered with TripAdvisor, which may explain the other much more positive reviews (especially the first one).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank DanVsScroob
London
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I recently stayed at Farlan House with 2 friends. Cardiff was fully booked due to the rugby being on as well as a Stereophonics concert, but Kathy gave up her own room so that we had a place to stay. Farlan House was close to Cardiff Stadium and Kathy was kind enough to drop us to the venue!! Kathy cooked us an amazing full English breakfast on Sunday morning and we were all sad to leave. Kathy was friendly, full of handy tips about travelling in the area and made us feel completely at home. I can't wait to stay at Farlan House again!

Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Highlights: The warmth of Kathy's welcome, helpfulness and breakfasts.
The quality old fashioned decor achieved by her Interior designing skills.
Very comfortable beds.
Improvements possible: Locks still need to be fitted to some bedroom doors and a lazy flush toilet requires to be fixed.
As 2 couples we had two rooms with a shared bathroom and toilet as well as a shared shower room and toilet. Worked well for us but others may well prefer Ensuites . We stayed 4 nights.

We would have no hesitation in returning and indeed intend to do so.

John/Margaret/ James/ Bernie, Northern Ireland. April 2010

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Higham Ferrers
Reviewed 26 March 2010

I normally use one of the chain business hotels when I travel. But find they can be so anonymous and impersonal. This time I decided to try a B&B, in the hope I would find that something extra, and find it I did. I was greeted by Kathy, and was immediately offered a cup of tea. She brought it to my room, along with a slice of fruit cake. You don't get that at a chain hotel. She was very helpful in giving directions and advise about local restaurants, and even offered to pick me up if I got lost. How about that for service.
The breakfast deserves special mention, as it was as good as it looked on the website, and was cooked freshly just for me. I have no hesitation in recommending this guest house.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Belgium
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We had a very relaxing and comfortable stay at Farlan House. Very nice position on the edge of Penarth/Cardiff which is almost rural. The landlady (Kathy) made us feel very welcome and cooked a great breakfast. Kathy also recommended The Olive Tree Restaurant in Penarth which is definitely worth a visit for an evening meal. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I have just had a surprisingly wonderful overnight stay at Farlan House B&B in Llandough.
I wasnt sure what to expect as you do with B&B;s but to my delight it was a stay that left me sad to leave.
On entering i was greeted by a very cheery landlady, Kathy was a delight from beginning to end. welcoming cups of tea and coffee, devine cooked breakfasts and an atmosphere that made me not want to leave 'at all'
Its a lovely place that is central to vast of activities.
Will be paying Farlan another visit this year, it now has a special place in my heart......Thanks Farlan