“lovely hotel - but a lack of light”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Swansea, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel - but a lack of light”
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Lovely hotel, but rooms are really dark. No main light and no table lamp for computer use. Staff are lovely, apart from the lighting issue, which I think can be easily sorted. wonderful all round. I would definately recommended

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank melanie092

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2011

As a normal regular to Cardiff as a business traveller, but usually loyal to two other hotels, I wasn't sure what to expect from the Radisson Blu, a newer addition to the high-class chains in Cardiff.

Whereas my usual hotel had managed to 'lose' my booking, I found a room readily available at the Radisson. Not only that, but the chap at reception was more than obliging when Miss Fussy here fancied a room with a better view, and offered a room on the 18th floor, with a fabulous view over the city.

The room was a business class room, and value for the price offered was excellent; facilities in the room surpassed those offered by competitors in Cardiff.

The extras included a nespresso machine, complete with a variety of 'pods' and the all-important instruction manual (luckily I have one of these gadgets at home, so the manual wasn't needed! But the thought was very much appreciated!). A mix of tea was offered, some gorgeously tasty biscuits, and some well-considered bathroom goodies - including bath crystals, and hand cream, both of which I've never seen in a hotel before.
Full marks there, Radisson, very impressed.

The bed was comfy, lots of cushions, plenty of space, and the fittings of the room were modern but not garish. Not quite my cup of tea, but the room was chic and considered, and most importantly, homely.

My drawbacks, however, start with entering the hotel. The architecture meant that the reception area was not obvious to find, and it wasn't a warm friendly place to walk in to. I'm not trying to be fussy, but I like to walk into somewhere I don't know and at least be sure that I'm walking through the right door. An obvious entrance would have helped.

The chap at reception, although helpful in dealing with my requests, seemed to be a bit disinterested and distant - and I felt like more of a nuisance than a guest.

The metal industrial lifts, the sad lettuce thrown into my room service meal of fishcakes (which, contrary to previous reviews, were actually quite yummy!) and the limp chips didn't exactly do much to make my day.

Overall, I would say that although the hotel has some brilliant ammenities on offer, and some lovely well-equipped rooms and competant staff, there appears to be a distinct lack of charm about this hotel, especially in comparison to its competitors. That said, I would gladly stay here again - it may not be my number one choice, but hopefully over time it will develop its distinct style and character and I'll find myself eating my words. I hope.

2 Thank RGelly
Wales
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We were in Cardiff for a friend's birthday celebration.

This was our first time in a Radisson Blu hotel, which we booked after getting a good room for a busy Saturday (the city was packed for Wales v England international football at the Millennium Stadium).

Both the public areas and our bedroom were verysmart, clean, modern and sapcious. The room and bed were comfortable, and there was an impressive view from the 15th floor.

The location is great for the city, nightlife, shops (opposite John Lewis) and buses/trains.

We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant, but the breakfast buffet was good. It's worth booking breakfast in advance or at check-in otherwise the price rises from £10 to £15 per head. I always think £10 is expensive for breakfast but there was a wide and fresh choice and it kept us going until the evening. I would agree with other comments that tea at breakfast should be in teapots not flasks!

I would also agree that the bar prices were expensive, though we only had a few drinks there as the hotel is so close to Cardiff''s great bars and pubs.

There were plenty of staff at check-in and they were friendly and helpful.

I would definitely stay at tyhe hotel again - provided I can get a similarly decent room rate as my budget wouldn't stretch to the standard published rate!

I would

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank myopinionWales
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
I was delighed o read your review about your very enjoyable say a the Radisson Blu Cardiff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 3 days and for value for money, spotless rooms great staff, although as a business traveller I prefer functionality over the boutique look they have in the rooms. The chairs look a bit on the tacky side with the gold paint and red cushions, but thats personal so not an issue. Overall a 3+ or a 4, but dont eat in the bar. For the cost and quality walk 5 minutes out the hotel and you can pickup a pizza or a Macdonalds better than what they serve in the bar. A £5.00 fish supper is more appealing in chip alley rather than spend £14:50 undercook anemic chips and bland deep fried fishcakes

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay and in particular your review of the bar food. I am a litle surprised however as the the burger is one of our most popular bar and rooms service items but I apololgise if the food was not to your personal taste; we would have happily exchanged the items if you had brough this to our attention as we do not wish for any guest to leave with a less than positive experience. I would however wish to assure you that both the beefburger and fish cakes, as with all our dishes, were made from fresh ingredients by our Chefs. I do hope that you return to the hotel and perhaps on this occasion try one of the dishes from our Filini Italian restaurant.
wales
Reviewed 22 March 2011

First impressions on arrival at the car park were not good - told that car park was full. It is never a good welcome. Radisson need to address this problem. We found a space over the road at the John Lewis car park. Not ideal if you are laden with luggage.

On checking in, I asked reception regarding parking cost, as I was made to believe that suite parking was included, but on questioning, apparently this information was incorrect!

The junior suite was well appointed and large enough. Two flat screen TVs - very suitable for our family with teenagers. We had room service - good service and food, arrived on time.

Breakfast was disappointing......hot items had run out....and tea served in flasks, - never a good idea. A teapot....please!!!

Staff were pleasant enough.

Hotel lacks atmosphere.

Having stayed at the Hilton and the Mercure Holland House....we would still stay at the Radisson again....but not our first choice.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
I was sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction wih the car parking situation at the hotel. Like so many of the city centre hotels, we have limited car parking spaces and we allocate them on a first come first served basis. There is however a park and stay rate available which does guarantee car parking so perhaps next time you visit this may be the most suitable option for you.

Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Spent one night at the Radisson after having a bad experience at the Hilton the previous two nights (see review).

The difference between the two hotels could not have been more pronounced. The Radisson is a well run, modern hotel in a good location.

My executive room, on the 20th floor, had excellent views over Cardiff and the Bristol Channel. There was a comfortable double bed, flat screen TV and free wireless internet.

Bathroom was excellent, with bath and shower and good quality toiletries.

Breakfast was very good indeed.

There was limited secure parking at £15 per night.

No real downside except very expensive drinks at the bar.

Thoroughly recommended.

1 Thank prospero1b
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this review, 21 March 2011
I was delighted to read your review and thank you for your very positive comments regarding the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

kind regards
cork
Reviewed 14 March 2011

This is the most disappointing experience I've ever had in a Radisson around the world. I'm a Radisson fan with a gold goldpointsplus card. As a regular traveller to Cardiff I decided to give this new Radisson a chance in preference to some of the other Cardiff hotels I stay in.

On the positive side, this hotel is very well located to shops and the city centre. The views from the higher floor rooms are good. The bedroom and bathroom were both spacious. Breakfast was just about the usual Radisson standard.

We had an issue with service which we reported to the duty manager. There was little interest or follow up, and no apology.

On the downside, it is like a soulless office tower with no atmosphere. The bar and restaurant could just as easily be lobbies in a business centre. Decor of the bedrooms is retro-1970s - fine if you like that: orange coffee table, leather desk, cheap white laminated fitted wardrobes and a pink shelf for luggage that looks like a bench in a bus station. My wife and I went late in the evening to the bar and retreated to our bedroom - the bar counter was filthy and covered in used, unwashed glasses. At breakfast the restaurant felt like an office canteen.

The other thing that caught us out: there is very, very limited car-parking at this hotel. We had to park about 300m away in a public car park the other side of a railway bridge. On departure the receptionist never asked about how we found our stay. There was certainly no offer of assistance with our luggage or the usual question about whether we might need a taxi. All basic stuff.

Sadly, even as a Radisson fan, I think on my next Cardiff visit I'll return to one of the other hotels in Cardiff which, in my experience, deliver higher standards.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank b2dac
I was very disappointed to read of your less than positive experience at the hotel, and to lean that you did not enjoy this very new and modern hotel. We have three different room styles and if the original was not to your taste, we would have been pleased to offer you an alternative. There is limited car parking, but directly opposite the hotel there are 2,000+ spaces available at the St David's Shopping Centre which many of our guests find to be a convenient alternative.
Regards