“Good and bad”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #11 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My wife and I tried this as an alternative to our usual favourite - the Park Plaza.
We stayed in a good suite which suited our requirements, as we were travelling with our ten year old son and fifteen year old daughter.
The room was very big - plenty of space for all of us. It had two televisions - a bit pointless as we couldn't watch two different channels (try telling a teenager to "turn it down"!).
Check in was very slow as the receptionist was on their own and they kept answering the phone whilst dealing with us!
Fantastic views of the city and the bay from massive windows.
Bathroom clean and modern.
Decent coffee machine in room (capsule type).
Car park an absolute nightmare - awkward to find, awkward to get in and out of with a combination required to open the slow roller shutter door - my grey matter couldn't remember the code - had to ring all the time from my mobile whilst holding up other users - sure the receptionist got fed up with me!
I have to say that breakfast was poor really - plenty of choice but Little Chef quality.
The hotel was still undergoing building works / finishing off while we were there - no real problem such as noise - just power tools and mess between the car park and the lobby.
One thing I did note - the receipt said that they were "in administration" - not sure if this is just the Cardiff hotel, or the whole chain - haven't checked it out yet - and don't know if it's important - just odd!
Whilst we were impressed I think that we will go back to the Park Plaza next time - even though it can be noisy from the clubs opposite - overall they do everything better I'm afraid.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank kidsincars
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2011

Thank you for your review of the hotel; I am so pleased to learn that the Suite with stunning views over the city, was suitable for your needs. I note however that you stayed in December 2010, when it is true the hotel was undergoing some light refurbishment works. However, these were complete by January 2011 and we are delighted with the results.

Whilst I can appreciate that it is a little awkward on occasions, for security purposes access is by code only and ensure that only our guests have acccess to this facility.

I am sorry if you did not enjoy our extensive Super Buffet Breakfast. The choice of dishes offered is very extensive and Chef would, as always, have been happy to accommodate any individual requests.

I do hope that you will try the hotel once again; please contact me directly and I will ensure everything is to your liking.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,524)

Reviewed 1 May 2011

This new hotel is slap bang in the middle of Cardiff; 400 yards from the Train Station and in the middle of town. It's great quality is potentially its biggest weakness!!

Cardiff is fast becoming the Stag/Hen capital of the UK - evidenced by the sheer number out and about at 6pm on a Saturday night (admittedly a Bank Holiday Weekend). This is a fantastic hotel for Stag/Hen parties; I mean it.

If you want a romantic or quiet weekend in Cardiff, this is probably not for you!!

The hotel is excellent; exactly what you expect from a Radisson hotel with all the features maintained in this low cost version. The room was spotless and the reception and bar well maintained. The hotel is new but I do not believe these qualities will diminish.

The car park is small - expect to park in the John Lewis car park opposite. We got there at 5pm and left at 6:35am and it only cost £3. The bar is reasonably priced for a hotel. Given we left so early we did not experience breakfast and ate out in the evening.

Cardiff Bay is a 15 minute walk from the hotel but many people may not feel safe on the route there - especially in the dark!

Room Tip: Central and Well Appointed
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jags_On_Tour
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2011

It is very pleasing to hear that you had a good impression of the hotel and enjoyed your stay in Cardiff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Warm regards

Reviewed 26 April 2011

My wife and I usually stay at the Park Plaza when in Cardiff but fancied a change and was delighted with the experience we had at this Raddison Blu. We stayed for two nights(22&23), on the 21 floor! At first we weren't sure about staying so high up but on entering the room and taking in the City view, it was breathtaking. From the Cardiff City Stadium, past the Millennium Stadium, the whole of Cardiff City Centre, right round to the coast. Wow by day, wow wee by night.

Probably the best situated Hotel in Cardiff; Cardiff bay a romantic walk (or a sharp taxi) away), shopping and light life on your doorstep or within a short stroll. It was our anniversary, so we made use of each one.

We had an issue with a few party animals in the next room on the second night but staff were swift to ensure that they had their experience, whilst allowing us to have ours. (can't ask for more than that). Completely fair and full marks to the duty manager for her skills of conciliation.

Breakfast was great; if something wasn't there then they went and got it straight away.

The Park Plaza is nice but this place has it too and more. We liked it so much we have booked in again for the end of May and have booked for my outlaws to stay there for their 25th Wedding Anniversary towards the end of May too.

Room Tip: The Bus opposite gets you to the Bay for £1.50 ;)
2  Thank RylandPhillips

Delighted to read your very positive review of the hotel and to learn that you are returning at the end of the month. Please contact me directly so that I can organise a welcome surprise for your relatives when they join us for their 25th wedding anniversary celebrations!

Reviewed 20 April 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights for a family wedding. The hotel is in a great location - walking distance to the main shops and restaurants. The room we had was on the 21st - top - floor with a wonderful view. The staff were really helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. Certainly to be recommended for anyone wanting a modern hotel in a great position .

1  Thank MINDLE22
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Thank you for posting your very positive comments about the hotel on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to learn that you had such an enjoyable stay and look forwrd to welcoming you back in the future. Warm regards

Reviewed 20 April 2011

Staff is poorly trained and dealt with complaints by becoming unpleasant. Repeated emails to the hotel's manager did not get a response.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank figaro47
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Room was good, quiet and clean.
The hotel was much to focused on business guests and not enough towards tourists. There was very little information on what was going on in Cardiff. The reception staff didn't have information, which one would have expected.
We booked in for four nights and on the third day left our room at 9am, returning at 5pm to find it had not been cleaned. Emphasis was on the departure rooms and bearing in mind we were still staying there, think we should have had preference.
A very impersonal hotel ! O.k. for a one night stay on business, but not pleasant for a brief holiday break. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2011

Thank you for your feedback which I have taken the opportunity to feedback to the team. We do in fact display a wide variety of tourist brochures at the Concierge desk and the team are very happy to research any information a guest may require via the internet, which is the best way of ensuring the details provided are up to date and accurate. We also provide free WiFi and computers for our guests to use if they would prefer.

I do apologise that your room was not cleaned as promptly as you and I would have wished. The hotel was extremely busy that day and the housekeeping departure were ensuring that all the guests arriving at the hotel could check in promptly, in line with our arrivals policy. However, your comfort is equally important to us and please be assured that we have increased the number of staff on duty to ensure that this situation is never repeated.

We are delighted to welcome all guests to our hotel, for both business and leisure purposes, and thank you for your kind comments in relation to the high standards of cleanliness and comfort.

Reviewed 2 April 2011

Booked this hotel for a special birthday treat. I usually stay in the Hilton as the spa there is wonderful. However I chose the Radisson as the website mentioned the leisure facilities, hotels.com list the spa, sauna, treatments and fitness room as does the google search for the Radisson.
I upgraded from a stand room to a junior suite. total cost for 2 nightswas just shy of £300. Arrived and was met with no where to park. I knew parking was very short so parked in multi story car park opposite. Hotel looked very nice and room was very nice even if it did overlook railway tracks!! Bed is comfortable but the pillows are the absolute worse ever. Too hard and stuffing 'creaks' when you move your head!!
Breakfast the next morning was awful. Dried up food, empty pots on buffet bar and when new food brought out it was obvious that it had been stood in kitchen for some time. Veggie sausages were like bullets.
After breakfast I went to look around the spa only to find it shut. Down to reception to enquire only to be told that it had been shut since last November due to a refurb!!
Ispoke to the manager explaining that i only chose the Radisson because of the sa facilities mentioned on the website. He kindly offered me dinner in the restaurant but I already had plans, plus after the food at breakfast wasnt sure I wanted to eat there!!
I went to the bar for a drink in the evening. The lady behind the bar saw me, said she would be 30 seconds then dissappeared downstairs. 5 mins later I peered over the railings to see her chatting merrily to some colleagues. By this time several other people were waiting for drinks so I waited 5 more minutes and simply gave up.
On check out the next day I asked for an address to complain too from the receptionist. I explained why I wanted to complain to which I got the responspe that I couldnt have seen the spa mentioned anywhere on the internet and so I must be lying!!! Another receptionist joined in and they both spent the next 10 minutes looking on the internet to find mention of the spa but when I offered to show them they refused to allow me to.
I spoke to the manager again who offered to refund the cost of the upgrade for the room. I think the management failed to realise that if I had known the spa had been shut for 5 months then I would never have stayed there.
Totally ruined what was meant to be a special weekend!!!!

I have made a complaint to Carlson who own the group but have heard nothing back. Poor local service, poor national service. Will never stay in a Radisson again!!

Room Tip: Spa is CLOSED. Go to Spoonies for breakfast
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
CWLZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

I am sorry that you remain dissatisfied both with the response you received on the day from the Director of Operations, and from myself in response to your E-mail to Carlson but I do hope that the Rezidor Gift Card which have been sent to you will mean you can enjoy enjoy a Spa break at one of our many Radisson Blu properties in the UK.